Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #1

New Castle Rock vs Goodyear

We just recently picked up our new Flagstaff E-pro E19FD.

This is our first TT, but I spent a lot of time reading through the forums prior to our purchase to know what we were getting into. I never cheap out on tires for my vehicles, so after reading some of the horror stories with the china bombs, I decided to replace them immediately.

I drove approximately 150km on our first shakedown trip on the Castle Rocks. Once home, I went about replacing them with new Goodyear Endurance tires.

I've attached pictures of the 2 tires treads. Both pictures are of the tires mounted and at 65 PSI. You can see the Castle Rocks are concave instead of convex like the Goodyear.

I showed the dealer when I first dropped them off to have the Goodyears installed, he didn't say anything then.When I came to pick them up, he said he wished I was there when he had them both off the rim. The castle Rocks you can almost turn inside out by pushing down on them. Whereas the Goodyear's are nice and solid. The Goodyears are noticeably heavier.

I am going to feel much more comfortable driving down the road with these on instead of the Castle Rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	castlerock - Copy.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	176146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear - Copy.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	176147  
robmarshall109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #2

My OEM tires were concave as well. I thought the tires on the trailer were wearing on the outsides until I found the unused spare the same way.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #3

Geo Pro G16BH here. I plan to replace the Castle Rocks with GY Endurance in the next day or two. My stock tires are 205 75 R14.

Should I stick with that size or can I go 205 75 R15?
RFishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #4

I stuck with the same size 205/75R14 for my E19FD. Load range appears to be good enough and I didn't want to worry about clearance issues.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #5

My 16FQ would easily have handled a 15" tire but rather than buy new rims I went with 14" Hankook passenger tires because I don't trust ST's.

Look here for new rims...
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_and_Wheels.aspx
Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
My 16FQ would easily have handled a 15" tire but rather than buy new rims I went with 14" Hankook passenger tires because I don't trust ST's.

Look here for new rims...
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_and_Wheels.aspx
Why would you think Pass tires are better than ST? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Biggest issue I see here, not k owing your camper, is passenger tires will almost never (I say that because someone always needs to prove others wrong) have the required weight ratings.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Why would you think Pass tires are better than ST? Later RJD
Oh, I don't 'think' they're better -- I know they're better at least for me...its a matter of miles and miles of personal experience.

One More Time Around: "ST" Tires On Your Trailer -or- Passenger Car/Truck Tires?

Do a search here and see:
1) all the complaints about ST tires and efforts to find a good one
2) if anyone has regretted going to p or LT tires.
I couldn't find anyone here or any place on the internet where folks went back to ST tires after getting rid of them.

And I also use non-ST tires on my 12,000 boat trailer - here's why:
One More Time Around: Finally Got Rid Of Those POS ST Tires On My Trailer
Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

My trailer came with bias ply tires. We made a trip from Texas to California and back by way of Salt Lake City. We then made a trip to NM and back. We then went to Yellowstone to Mount Rushmore and back before changing them. No problems with them nor the Good Year Marathons we replaced them with. The Marathons have been replaced with the Endurance now. Have to see how they do.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #10

Replacement Tire PSI

My original China tires on my TT (Rockwood 2304DS) on both the tires and the trailer placard called for 65psi. The Goodyear replacement tires call for 80psi, which I have been running. Be sure to check the required psi on the new tires before trying to make any comparisons.
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #11

I replaced my Castle Rocks with GY Endurance today. Both tires call for a max PSI of 65. The Castle Rocks had a max speed of 75 MPH. I don’t see a speed rating on the sidewall of the GY.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #12

I found this on google search

Quote:
The Endurance is available in Load Ranges D and E to accommodate larger load capacities, according to Goodyear. It also has a speed rating of N (87 mph), which is considerably higher than the usual trailer tire speed rating of L (75 mph), according to Mr. Pulte, Goodyear general manager for product marketing, consumer tires...Jan 30, 2017

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I found this on google search
Thank you!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Oh, I don't 'think' they're better -- I know they're better at least for me...its a matter of miles and miles of personal experience.

One More Time Around: "ST" Tires On Your Trailer -or- Passenger Car/Truck Tires?

I couldn't find anyone here or any place on the internet where folks went back to ST tires after getting rid of them.

If Jeff Nicholas says it on the Internet, then it must be true. At least you told us why you THINK you know.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #15

I may be the exception here. Got our 2109s Mini Lite trailer Oct 2016, 2016 dated Castle Rocks, nitrogen filled by the dealer. Put 19,000+ miles on the camper from Colo to Maine, New Mexico, Calif and Utah, rough roads, dirt roads, rocky roads.

Never had to air up. I only noticed a bit of wear out the outside edges after this last trip, and put new Endurance tires on. I got my money's worth out of those CRs.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:

Guess you just lucky and to each his own. I have always used ST as required and never had issues and all where GY Marathons and now GY endurance Oh ya internet is the absoult truth. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarland48 View Post
I may be the exception here. Got our 2109s Mini Lite trailer Oct 2016, 2016 dated Castle Rocks, nitrogen filled by the dealer. Put 19,000+ miles on the camper from Colo to Maine, New Mexico, Calif and Utah, rough roads, dirt roads, rocky roads.

Never had to air up. I only noticed a bit of wear out the outside edges after this last trip, and put new Endurance tires on. I got my money's worth out of those CRs.
Given the number of trailers sold with these, I'm sure you're not the only one who has had an uneventful experience with the Castle Rocks. What the actual failure rate is, who knows....

For me though, given the number of anecdotal stories and having only 1 axle it was an easy decision to make the change immediately. And after having seen both tires side by side, I am glad I did.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFishstick View Post
Geo Pro G16BH here. I plan to replace the Castle Rocks with GY Endurance in the next day or two. My stock tires are 205 75 R14.

Should I stick with that size or can I go 205 75 R15?
You can't go to R15 without replacing the wheels (14" vs 15" wheels) and since your TT is relatively small I don't see any reason to spend the money to do that. The 14" tires will be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewman View Post
My original China tires on my TT (Rockwood 2304DS) on both the tires and the trailer placard called for 65psi. The Goodyear replacement tires call for 80psi, which I have been running. Be sure to check the required psi on the new tires before trying to make any comparisons.
The tires don't "call for" 80PSI, that is the pressure needed for max load. Nor is that the "required PSI" on the tires. Use the Goodyear load and inflation chart to determine the minimum PSI required for the GVWR of your trailer. Since you went from load range D to E you'll find that the new E tires can actually run less than 65PSI and have the same load capacity as the previous D tires, but I would tend to keep them at the placard's PSI. You can run them at 80PSI if you want, but by no means is that the required tire pressure.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
You can't go to R15 without replacing the wheels (14" vs 15" wheels) and since your TT is relatively small I don't see any reason to spend the money to do that. The 14" tires will be just fine.
Ah. Thank you. I went with 14’s. It’s good to know it was my only option with these wheels.