Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

new cherokee 304vfk bent frame?

hey guys have a new cherokee 304vfk and cant for the life of me get this perfectly level.

the back over the tires and back room up to fire place are between 0.3 and -0.3 degrees. almost seems like its slightly bowed?

and the fireplace forward just gets worse. up in the kitchen its up to 1.7 degrees off port.

could my tongue jack be on unlevel ground or could this be a frame issue.

also whats the best number to get for level? im assuming 0 degrees is pretty difficult
thamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #2

You will drive yourself nuts trying to get the entire trailer level it an't going to happen. Pick a spot that you use every time that get almost everything close. Myself I use the floor in about the center of the floor inside my front door. I use a 3' level and get the bubble centered and call the rest good.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You will drive yourself nuts trying to get the entire trailer level it an't going to happen. Pick a spot that you use every time that get almost everything close. Myself I use the floor in about the center of the floor inside my front door. I use a 3' level and get the bubble centered and call the rest good.
haha thanks man, thats what i initially did but then i started noticing that the floor was a little bouncy in areas, then i started feeling and seeing the seams between the floor, figured it was from being unlevel, could it just be an issue with my floor or is that normal for the cherokees
Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

What in the world are you using that's reading out in 10ths of a degree?

These things are designed with crayons, built with markers, and you're trying to level it with a micrometer!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamel View Post
haha thanks man, thats what i initially did but then i started noticing that the floor was a little bouncy in areas, then i started feeling and seeing the seams between the floor, figured it was from being unlevel, could it just be an issue with my floor or is that normal for the cherokees
We have a Cherokee 274vfk. Our floor is not bouncy at all. We have had a few staples start to pop up from the sub floor, but the service guys at the Goshen Rally took care of it and we know what to do if it happens again.

I don’t understand “seeing the seams between the floor”?
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
ARLO

I get it perfect every time. I use adhesive backed corner levels. I get the trailer close, then tweak the corner levels to finish, The wife complements me every time. Some day, I will reveal my secret.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
Always Learning

I know with fifth wheels (and assume that travel trailers are the same) that they're designed with some camber in the frame.

The guy giving me a tour of the Sabre factory said that they have to support the pinbox during the build, otherwise putting the walls on would flatten out the frame or something.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #8

You need to get a bubble level. Plenty accurate for our needs. An RV will never be as solid as a structure on a solid foundation.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter3446 View Post
We have a Cherokee 274vfk. Our floor is not bouncy at all. We have had a few staples start to pop up from the sub floor, but the service guys at the Goshen Rally took care of it and we know what to do if it happens again.

I don’t understand “seeing the seams between the floor”?
by seams i mean inbetween the floor paneling. you can feel the gaps between the panel through the vinyl flooring.

thanks for all the other input guys, i knew using my digital level was going to lead to OCD levels of madness trying to get it "perfect"

Old 04-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
Site Team

Most people level with a bubble level and I would guess most bubbles are between 1 and two degrees in size. Also most people never really get their unit perfectly level, but rather have a slight angle toward the back to get AC condensation to run off the back.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
by seams i mean inbetween the floor paneling. you can feel the gaps between the panel through the vinyl flooring.
I'd likely want the dealer to take a look at that. How big of gaps are you talking?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #12

I get it close with a level but want my ac to drain off the back corner and the goal is to have doors and fridge door not swing open. With that said I am never perfectly level nor intend to be. As info
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'd likely want the dealer to take a look at that. How big of gaps are you talking?
maybe gaps are the wrong word... raised/lowed areas where the subfloor joints are.

can feel them flexing and the high/low points when bare foot.

this is our first brand new trailer and coming from used trailers not too sure how much is normal fit and finish issue vs damaged
Old 04-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #14

Big sucker, like my 304BS. Bigger rear slides and sleeps about 30....well...we've slept 12 comfortably anyway. Others are correct, you'll go nuts trying to hit 0 degrees. When looking at mine from the front...you'd never know that I put the front high and tilt to to the right for the AC to drain. Depending on the CG, I'll also go front low and to right for the AC. It's never enough to really notice inside.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #15

Much easier rent a cabin, of course some camp grounds have manufactured cabins that aren't level either.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
maybe gaps are the wrong word... raised/lowed areas where the subfloor joints are.

can feel them flexing and the high/low points when bare foot.

this is our first brand new trailer and coming from used trailers not too sure how much is normal fit and finish issue vs damaged
Maybe head to a dealer and walk a couple of others like yours. See if you can see/feel the same thing.

At a very minimum, it doesn't hurt to get your dealer to take a look.

On my fifth wheels, you couldn't tell where the flooring starts/stops.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Maybe head to a dealer and walk a couple of others like yours. See if you can see/feel the same thing.

At a very minimum, it doesn't hurt to get your dealer to take a look.

On my fifth wheels, you couldn't tell where the flooring starts/stops.
sorry for the delayed response, was out of town.

i think ive figured out that there are 2 or three panels that are lower the the surrounding pane enough to feel a lip. i think i feel the floor moving but it believe that it may just be going from slightly lower to slightly higher panels. TBH its these vinyl floors, you can feel more though them then wood or carpet

the new issue with the MRS is the door creaks but thats not something im going to lose sleep over

Tags
bent, cherokee, frame