Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

New disc brake trip

We made our first trip after having installed electric/hydraulic disc brakes on the fifth wheel. The difference in braking is amazing. For the first time, I believe the camper brakes are actually doing there job and I have set them up to slightly lead the truck. That way, the camper brake pads will wear out faster than the truck. Previously, it seemed that the truck was doing most of the braking. I am very pleased with the new disc brakes. I used Kodiak one piece hubs, and a Titan pump. I ran 3/16" steel tubing, and wired it in myself. Total cost was just under $1400.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #2

We just had them installed on our CC and was wondering what setting you are using on the truck controller, we have the same truck only a 2014. We also took our first trip and you are right they are so much better.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #3

Yep, same. Worked great through the Rockies last month.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #4

I believe disc brakes are the wave of the future for trailers (especially heavy rigs) and will soon be offered as an option by the mfg is not already.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

I had disc brakes installed on my Cedar Creek a couple of months ago and it's the best mod I have ever done to the camper. It's unbelievable how well the camper and truck stop. I couldn't install mine because I'm not mechanical, I can do little stuff but installing the disc brakes was above my pay grade
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #6

Wife and I just ordered a Cardinal 3250 RL and Disc Brakes was a option plus you get 7K axels so they were number one on my options list. We looked at many 5ers and Cardinal was the only one we could find with the Disc Brake option in the length we wanted. I'm sure there are others but we didn't want a 40 + foot 5er
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

Talking Disc Brakes

After having disk brakes installed on my 5th wheel I will never have another camper with out them. They are worth every dollar that they cost....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
Don

Disc Brakes

I am very interested in this and would like to know where you purchased the hubs and brake materials and how do you know which diameter to order? I own a 2015 FR Rockwood ultra lite 5th wheel with 15 inch wheels. I am a novice when it comes to brakes. I also don't feel very positive braking on my 5r. I am towing with a 2016 Ford F350 Super Duty and have the brake module almost all the way up. Still not much braking. When I use the manual braking it will lock up but not much when I am using the brake pedal. Would like very much to do this mod or get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me.
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12345 View Post
I am very interested in this and would like to know where you purchased the hubs and brake materials and how do you know which diameter to order? I own a 2015 FR Rockwood ultra lite 5th wheel with 15 inch wheels. I am a novice when it comes to brakes. I also don't feel very positive braking on my 5r. I am towing with a 2016 Ford F350 Super Duty and have the brake module almost all the way up. Still not much braking. When I use the manual braking it will lock up but not much when I am using the brake pedal. Would like very much to do this mod or get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me.
Call these guys. They did mine. Great brakes. They do it in your driveway.

https://www.performancetrailerbraking.com/

Look around that website. There's a contact form. That's how I got started.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Etrailer has kits available in most sizes.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

X2 on them. Came right to my house. They did a super job
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #12

Cool

Quote:
Its not a difficult job, but you need to be comfortable with packing wheel bearings and setting the preload. Youtube is your friend. Having said that, if you've never done it, don't start with your rv brakes. At least not without some guidance. I bought all the major parts from Eastern Marine. Ordered new Timken bearings from Rock Auto, and miscellaneous supplies locally. The new Kodiak hubs came with chinamade bearings, and while I've never had a chinamade bearing fail, I just chose this opportunity to replace them with USmade bearings. Honestly, setting both a chinamade and a Timken bearing side by side, there was no discernible difference. But that little fact means nothing without knowing material qualities. It was just a good time for me to upgrade those parts.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I believe disc brakes are the wave of the future for trailers (especially heavy rigs) and will soon be offered as an option by the mfg is not already.
I hope you are right. Its a change that needs to happen.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:59 AM   #14
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

They did mine as well (end of April 2017), I got to meet Ron when he spent the winter here, He is a super fellow - then I just saved up for the cost of the parts + labor. It's been the best and only safe way to travel out there with all the crazy other drivers....

Thanks,
Ken
2015 F350 DRW 6.7, SOB w/ G614's and Titan Disk Brakes.
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #15

Made our second short trip and I'm just amazed at the difference in braking effectiveness from these disc brakes. I encourage anyone with a heavier trailer to consider installing electric over hydraulic disc brakes on your rv, especially if you plan on keeping the trailer for several years. Yes, its a somewhat expensive mod, but my rig is now a lot safer to drive.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #16

Had disc brakes added to CC, TV is F350 was wondering at what level most have controller set at?
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #17

I have a 12 Ram 3500 CC Limited and when I was towing my Flagstaff 5er with drum brakes I had mine set at 8.5. We upgraded to a Cardinal 3250 and I bought the optional disc brake package and got a upgrade to 7K axles and G rated tires and I finally got my controller set at 5.5. When I pulled out of the dealership I wasn't sure where to set it but when I hit the brakes I thought it was going to rip the hitch right out of the truck. Now that I have it set this was the best option I could have purchased and Cardinal was the only one to offer it. Every trailer over 8K should have this option.
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by No more shoveling View Post
I have a 12 Ram 3500 CC Limited and when I was towing my Flagstaff 5er with drum brakes I had mine set at 8.5. We upgraded to a Cardinal 3250 and I bought the optional disc brake package and got a upgrade to 7K axles and G rated tires and I finally got my controller set at 5.5. When I pulled out of the dealership I wasn't sure where to set it but when I hit the brakes I thought it was going to rip the hitch right out of the truck. Now that I have it set this was the best option I could have purchased and Cardinal was the only one to offer it. Every trailer over 8K should have this option.
Glad you are having a good experience. I agree 100%...every heavy trailer should offer hyd disc brakes as an option. Over the life of a trailer, the cost benefit is definitely there, and maintenance is much easier. Disc brake pad replacement is a snap compared to any maintenance of drums. Makes life much better on tv brakes as well. Thanks for comments.