Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Now a "Top Member"

New member of the triple-blowout club

Yeah. The cheapo Chinese tires finally got me. A simple 5 hour drive between San Antonio and Houston turned into a 14 hour disaster. Blew the first tire at about 11, maybe an hour outside of San Antonio. Got it changed and blew number 2 just 25 miles later. Then hit bumper to bumper traffic off and on all the way into Houston. I got 40 miles from home and blew tire number 3. I spend nearly 3 hours just trying to find someone that could come with a tire and change it. It was a nightmare for sure. I will have 4 new either Maxxis or Goodyear Marathon tires on the trailer before I get all the damage fixed. Luckily, nothing structurally was damaged. Just some skirt fender damage (pretty bad on one side), and lost some insulation on the other side. I'll get a couple of pics before it goes in for repair.

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #2

What brand were they? Duros?
I would buy the Maxxis over the Goodyears, as they have absolutley NO recalls, and fewer complaints. Besides, the Goodyears are most likely made in China.
And if you had load range C tires, spend the extra couple bucks and get D-rated tires. Worth every penny.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

I would go with the Goodyear Marathons and a TST tire monitor system. Reason being that there are 3 likely reasons tires blow.
1. Tire pressure too low
2. Curbing tires
3. Tires overloaded

Most all tires are built overseas including Maxxis which are built in Thailand.
Goodyear has the big advantage in my opinion as there are dealers in practically every town in the US and I personally have never seen a Maxxis dealer in my 71+ yrs of traveling all over the US.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #4

"Goodyear has the big advantage in my opinion as there are dealers in practically every town in the US"

I will admit that would come in handy when those Goodyear China bombs EXPLODE!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

The "brand", if you can call it, was TrailExpress Power Touring. They are ST 235 80R16 E-rated tires. All had the recommended 80psi (checked before I left the house, and before I left the campground...and after the first blowout). The trailer was not overloaded. The GVWR is 11,600, and I was at most 10,500 (last weigh in with approximately the same load). I'm not sure what you mean dunnnc about "curbing", unless you mean running against curbs. If that's the case, that does not apply either. I have no curbs in my city, and rarely camp where curbs are around. This campsite I was at did, but no curbing occured there.

Goodyear or Maxxis, almost as good a discussion as diesel v. gas, or Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge. And then the possibility of LT tires. Hmmmmm...
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
What brand were they? Duros?
I would buy the Maxxis over the Goodyears, as they have absolutley NO recalls, and fewer complaints.
Fewer complaints because they are unknown and unused by probably 90% of rvers. If the truth could be found, I would venture a guess that all tire mfgs have about the same failure rate. You hear about more here because everyone on here has had a problem no doubt. As for Goodyears having more problems is probably a misnomer as there are literally millions more GY on the road than Maxxis or any other brand and will be heard about more.

A tire monitor system would have alerted the OP to the impending problems. Road hazards are also quite common as a cause of blowouts.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

I went with Goodyear after 3 of my Carlisles blew out on a trip back from Myrtle Beach. Put them on in 2005 and had to replace them last year only because they dry rotted and started losing air. Like dunnnc said, you can find a Goodyear dealer almost anywhere. Maxxis probably makes really good tires, it's just finding a dealer when you need one. Maxxis used to make great dirt bike tires, not sure if they still do.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

You can go here and find out if you have a Maxxis dealer near you.

M8008 ST Radial
Old 05-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ed, I think you were questioning those tires when you 1st got your camper, if I remember correctly. Big time bummer on the blow-outs.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
You can go here and find out if you have a Maxxis dealer near you.

M8008 ST Radial
Hmmm, seems like there are lots of Maxxis dealers.
Apparently no need to buy Goodyear China bombs then.