Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

New motorhome WAY under inflated tires

Quick question. I took delivery of our 2016 Coachman Concord 300DS last week. It has 2500 miles on it. When I got it home I noticed the rear tires looked really low. The rear tires are suggested to be inflated to 80 psi. The front tires to 75.

I bought a new high pressure tire Guage and stopped by a local tire dealer to calibrate it against their tried and true gages. It appeared to be right on.

I came home and found the following:
Rear tires were 52/62 and 52/40
Front tires were 70 and 70.

I'm taking the motorhome back tomorrow for a number of repairs/reasons. I'm planning to call Michelin before I drop it off and explain the situation to them.

Do you think I should INSIST on NEW tires? *The sales manager said he would have a local tire place check them out, but that is probably just lip service.
BlackJeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

If you have valve extensions, they may have a leak that is causing your issue with the dualies.

The tires will be fine once inflated properly.

Just bypass any cheap extensions and have steel valve stems installed.

Cheers to the new rig!

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

When I got my new Sunseeker home, all my pressures were correct except the right rear where the inside tire was at 90 (10 over max) and the outside at 70 (10 under recommended). Dealers really need to be careful with this stuff.

I would see what Michelin says and decide, but I would try to get new tires. Make them realize this is a safety issue.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #4

On another thread, I explained that one day after bringing it home, the coach batteries were dead. As a result I couldn't level it with the Bigfoot leveling system. Upon inspection, the j-bolts holding the strap that secures the batteries were so crusted with rust, it took me an hour just to get the first wing nut off. After removing the strap and battery caps, half of the cells were dry. I am insisting on new batteries.

Soooo, it's my theory that rather than charge the batteries at the RV shows, that this coach most likely went to, they simply deflated the rear tires in order to level it. Then, totally forgot about it. Who knows at what point that happened. I say this, because the spare is/was at 80 psi.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

I was losing some air in all the rear tires and a lot of air in one of my rear tires on my Sunseeker 3010DS so finally invested in one piece steel dually valve stems with no extensions right before I put it in storage last winter. When I took it out of storage 6 months later, I checked the tire pressures before I moved it from storage and the tires were all within 1 PSI of the pressures when I put it in storage. So far this summer they continue to hold their pressures much better now with no extensions being used.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky55616 View Post
I was losing some air in all the rear tires and a lot of air in one of my rear tires on my Sunseeker 3010DS so finally invested in one piece steel dually valve stems with no extensions right before I put it in storage last winter. When I took it out of storage 6 months later, I checked the tire pressures before I moved it from storage and the tires were all within 1 PSI of the pressures when I put it in storage. So far this summer they continue to hold their pressures much better now with no extensions being used.
Do you remember the brand name? I'm assuming the inner tires must be removed and de-mounted?
Old 07-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

My local tire shop ordered the dually valve stems and installed them. I don't know the brand name but the total cost for the valve stems and installation by the tire shop was $160 for all 4 rear wheels.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJeep22 View Post
Quick question. I took delivery of our 2016 Coachman Concord 300DS last week. It has 2500 miles on it. When I got it home I noticed the rear tires looked really low. The rear tires are suggested to be inflated to 80 psi. The front tires to 75.

I bought a new high pressure tire Guage and stopped by a local tire dealer to calibrate it against their tried and true gages. It appeared to be right on.

I came home and found the following:
Rear tires were 52/62 and 52/40
Front tires were 70 and 70.

I'm taking the motorhome back tomorrow for a number of repairs/reasons. I'm planning to call Michelin before I drop it off and explain the situation to them.

Do you think I should INSIST on NEW tires? *The sales manager said he would have a local tire place check them out, but that is probably just lip service.

Funny thing. My wife and I picked our 2016 300ds last January and I found low air in dual rears like yours. I filled tires to 75lb all the way around and every time we get ready to go traveling I'd check air and both sides outside rear dual would leak down to 45-55 lbs. sprayed soapy water on valve stems and they leaked. Ran it to discount tires and they replaced both valve stems no more leak. 44$ so I just paid and rocked on. Mabey same with you
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, tire, tires