Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #61

Nitro in Tires

Hello fellow FRF experts - I'd like to revive this conversation that I saved back in May.

I need help understanding NITRO filled tires - Please! We contacted quite a few places locally and so far have NOT found anyone to put NITRO in our tires. We've had conversations and have been told that we can add air if a tire is alittle low. Thoughts - Comments - PLEASE!

Had our first flat on our 2017 Flagstaff TT - Castle Rock Tires - we put 9000 miles on them. Just a pin hole that caused the flat on the outside edge so no one will plug, but I'd feel better with a replacement anyway.

So we are buying Goodyear Endurance "E" rated tires.

DH was just going to get one to put in place of the spare. I was thinking buy at least 2 and put them either on the front or rear axle. Have had some expenses lately that is making things alittle tight so I thought 2 now and then 2 when we get some money saved up.

Looking for any comments on the NITRO and hopefully we did well with our selection of the Goodyear Endurance "E" rated tires.

I come seeing WISDOM from my FRF friends...

Thanks all!
Debbie
jdstrubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #62
Scoundrel

You can put air in any nitro filled tire. Air is 78% nitrogen.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
You can put air in any nitro filled tire. Air is 78% nitrogen.
DH had the question - If we have 3 original tires with NITRO and we replace the damaged tire with the Castle Rock spare tire that Now has AIR (had to take it off the ugly white rim and put on our Purdy black and chrome matching rim) - is that okay?

Thanks for your quick reply HangDiver!
Debbie
Old 08-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #64
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrubel View Post
DH had the question - If we have 3 original tires with NITRO and we replace the damaged tire with the Castle Rock spare tire that Now has AIR (had to take it off the ugly white rim and put on our Purdy black and chrome matching rim) - is that okay?

Debbie
Yep. Put it on and go camping.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrubel View Post

Debbie
There should be no difference with Nitro Vs air so long as the pressures are good in all the tires.

Absolute worst case you may need to put more air in it this winter.

If it makes you feel better you can pay someone to put nitrogen in the tire but anyone who is filling your tires with nitro and charges you for it had better remove all the air from the tire first....otherwise what's the point? Based on how a tire is mounted and filled with air and knowing It is not done in a vacuum should help explain it a bit. Even if you filled with compressed nitrogen once mounted there is still air in there...

Best of luck.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
There should be no difference with Nitro Vs air so long as the pressures are good in all the tires.

Absolute worst case you may need to put more air in it this winter.

If it makes you feel better you can pay someone to put nitrogen in the tire but anyone who is filling your tires with nitro and charges you for it had better remove all the air from the tire first....otherwise what's the point? Based on how a tire is mounted and filled with air and knowing It is not done in a vacuum should help explain it a bit. Even if you filled with compressed nitrogen once mounted there is still air in there...

Best of luck.
Well that is good advice and made good sense... thanks for sharing your knowledge... This DW feels much more at ease. This is where I come when I want help and you my FRF Friend have done just that.... HELPED !

Thanks dbledan!
Debbie
Old 08-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #67
Commercial Member

I covered inflating is detail back in April 2011. You can read my blog post HERE.

There are a number of other posts relating to Nitrogen HERE
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #68

I have found some F rated 15 inch tires from Hercules tire and Greenball tire .. I bought a set from Greenball who generally makes commercial trailer tires and they are built really sturdy ... much better than anything I have found yet including the Endurance .. I personally think they undersize load rating all the time, who would run 100% of load rating when GVWR is met.. everyone lol.. anyway I have included a link ..All Steel Construction ST - Tow-Master, Trailer Tires
freedomrules3 is offline   Reply With Quote