Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #41
Explorer

Thanks for everyone posting, I have been thinking about a system and it helps to hear about all the issues.
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
I have been considering a TST 507 to protect my toad. But, it seems a lot of folks have reported false alarms... I think I would have a heart attack if that thing went off in busy traffic where I couldn't pull over easily.

Is that a real problem? Not the heart attack, but the false alarms?

Bill
I have the 507 and it is invaluable. Have sensors on the truck and the TT. False alarms are usually based on the range that you set for monitoring. Our first trip I had to adjust the upper pressure alarm for the TT and the truck. I learned a lot how much the outside temp, sun vs. shade side, altitude play on the tires.

First alarm we had, with wife driving, pressure dropped to zero on a trailer tire. She woke me from my nap saying shut this off. 30 seconds later the tire shredded. Replaced all four right then (Trail Express crap) w/ 10ply, load E. Don't have a heart attack and do not think the alarm is false. I had two other alarms as pressures rose due to heat and altitude. Stopped and check both times and let the tires cool. I travel w/ a compressor and ALWAYS check pressures before hitting the road. These sensors, once you get them within a good range setting will be your best friend while towing. JM$.02.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #43

I love the system and never had a false alarm. You just need to make sure you have the low and high temp and pressure set to your tires and driving conditions. Great piece of mind on the highway
Old 11-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #44

Thanks for the replies. I think I will order up a set this week. I like the idea of user replaceable batteries and I assume my 35 ft Georgetown is not so long I need a repeater to monitor PSI...

Thanks, Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #45

Should not need a repeater. I have a 35 footer and no problem without one. You will love it great piece of mind
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #46

with our truck having tinted windows and a slide out directly over the driver side tires I was blocking a signal from that side. So I needed the booster to eliminate false lost readings and heart attacks on the interstates.
I got a hold of Mr. Covington himself somehow and he saved me about 50% of the list price.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #47

I called TST today and talked with them about losing reception. Even though I take my sensors off when not moving the 5er for a month or so, I believe the batteries are the culprit. I was told they were CR1632 batteries. So I'll be changing those soon. Even though when I bought my system, they didn't have the bigger antenna, she is sending me one to see if it helps as well. Back to the batteries. Several of us that camp together bought the 507 system around the same time and when they came in, each of us had a little different combination of things in them. Mine for example, did not come with the dash mount, bigger antennae or replacement O-rings necessary to change the batteries. I had called TST before, right after receiving my system and they sent me out the dash mounts. They were here the next day. Today when I called, she said she would send me out all new O-rings with the bigger antenna to make sure that I kept reception. So far, I have been very pleased with this company, customer service and their product. After several longs trips, I now don't want to tow anything without this system.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #48

I was very happy to receive a 507 system for Xmas! It came with everything, including a windshield suction mount. I haven't had a chance to try it with the 5er yet, but will soon.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #49
Too old to be too smart

After having one go dead in the middle of a road trip, I now keep spare CR1632s in the glove box.

Not-so-easy to find at any ol' drug store. Rat Shack may, or may not, have them in stock.

Battery life can be extended greatly by de-pressurizing them during periods of inactivity. Marking their location with something will make putting them back into service a lot easier, too!

I may begin to change them annually rather than on an "as-needed" basis to assure that doesn't happen again.

I really like this system, and SURE agree about their service. When I lost my replacement o-rings, they sent out replacements ASAP! They are now, too, in the glove box.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #50

Check out batteriesandbutter.com you can get the CR1632 very cheap. They hit you with shipping but if you have other batteries to by, I always order them at that time. Even with shipping cost great prices on those weird type of batteries.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #51

I plan to buy a system this week. specifically the TST 507RV, however I havent made up my mind on the sensors. I found the unit with 4 sensors for $220.15 with free shipping. They offer any of the three available sensors for the same price. The options are the standard with user replaceable batteries, the flow through with user replaceable batteries or the commercial truck quaility sensors with a 5-7 year lithium. The truck quality appear more rugged but I would appreciate opinions and/or recommendations from current users.
Pirogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #52
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogue View Post
I plan to buy a system this week. specifically the TST 507RV, however I havent made up my mind on the sensors. I found the unit with 4 sensors for $220.15 with free shipping. They offer any of the three available sensors for the same price. The options are the standard with user replaceable batteries, the flow through with user replaceable batteries or the commercial truck quaility sensors with a 5-7 year lithium. The truck quality appear more rugged but I would appreciate opinions and/or recommendations from current users.
Link to $220.00 price?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #53

Motor home TPMS SYSTEMS PRESSURE TRACK TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM,TPMS, RV TIRE MONITOR, RV TPMS SYSTEM

The 510 model is also the same price
Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #54
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogue View Post
Ty!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #55

I have the "standard" sensors and they seem rugged enough to me. I suppose you could break them if you over-tightened. In my opinion, they are expensive enough that I wouldn't want to have to buy new ones, even every 5 years.
I kinda wish I had the flow-thru sensors but was concerned about the length. I will say that you lose almost no air when putting them on or off the valve stem.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #56
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I have the "standard" sensors and they seem rugged enough to me. I suppose you could break them if you over-tightened. In my opinion, they are expensive enough that I wouldn't want to have to buy new ones, even every 5 years.
I kinda wish I had the flow-thru sensors but was concerned about the length. I will say that you lose almost no air when putting them on or off the valve stem.
I thought the TST would replace the batteries if you sent them back. I don't think you have to buy a whole new set when the batteries die. BUT.. I've been wrong many, many times before.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I also like the idea of the flow though's but the length does concern me slightly. In reality taking the standards off when I need to air up is not a significant inconvenience after all I will still have to remove the cap. And I do like be able to replace the batteries myself.
Thanks for your input.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #58
Denver, CO

Hawkshead system is 239$, pretty close in price and works well. Just an alternative.