Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDE OUT View Post
Thanks for to much info This is what I found out. My current tires Good year wranglers P275/65 /R18 have max load 2601. The tires I am looking at Cooper A/T3 C's have a max load of 2335. E's max load is 3415. So if I am thinking right my current P tires 4ply hold more then cooper C tires 6 ply. So if I want to get rid of the squirmy swaying problem I have to move up to E range no??. Or I just keep my current tires ???
P tires on a towing vehicle are a significant contributor to sway. A LR D or LR E would eliminate the tv squirm.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
P tires on a towing vehicle are a significant contributor to sway. A LR D or LR E would eliminate the tv squirm.
X2
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
X2
They don't have a D tire in my size and brand so they recommended a p- metric tire with a load index 116 that is comparable to a D the LT C has a load index 113 and the LT E has a index of 123. The only difference is the C is 6 ply and the E is ten ply. And I think the p-metric is 4 ply. Is it the ply that reduces the sway or the load???
Old 03-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I put E on my truck as well, i don't drop the pressure and the ride is a bit rougher but after all it is a truck! The tires cut through the snow better with a little more Nitrogen.
B and B what psi do you run? And are they the factory rims
Old 03-22-2015, 03:02 AM   #25

I run the exact same size tire on my Tundra. My trailer weights loaded are about the same as your unloaded weights are. I normally run the P rated (LTX M/S2) tire, and I probably wouldn't want to tow anything more than that on the P rated for sure, but have a 10 ply tire on currently (winter tires - Nokian) and the squirm/sway is virtually non existant, however I do dislike the unloaded ride with the 10 ply's, even with the reduced pressures (50 psi unloaded, any lower and they were getting really warm on the highway)
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 AM   #26
Just a member

Quote:
P tires on a towing vehicle are a significant contributor to sway.
If so, why do auto manufacturers market SUVs and light trucks, that specify significant tow capacities, come equipped with P-Metric tires? They're being negligent? The consumer is not being made aware by the vehicle manufacturer of the hazards associated with towing with a P-Metric tire? I don't get it. If the aforementioned tires are causal to hazardous towing conditions (sway), why the heck are they being fitted to potential tow vehicles.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
If so, why do auto manufacturers market SUVs and light trucks, that specify significant tow capacities, come equipped with P-Metric tires? They're being negligent? The consumer is not being made aware by the vehicle manufacturer of the hazards associated with towing with a P-Metric tire? I don't get it. If the aforementioned tires are causal to hazardous towing conditions (sway), why the heck are they being fitted to potential tow vehicles.
Because people want their rig to ride like a caddy LT tires are not conductive to caddy like rides.

I will also guess that the same size LT tire is more spendy.

It could be that a large majority of SUV owners are in for the show not the tow.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #28
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Because people want their rig to ride like a caddy LT tires are not conductive to caddy like rides.
Yep, I get that. Cadillac ride is cool. However, where in this equation does the dealer/seller present the buyer with the prospect of hazardous miles ahead (trailer sway) should he/she be inclined to hitch up a TT with the OEM P-Meric tires that are installed on this vehicle?

Old 03-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #29

I have seen Lots of (Trucks?) with what they refer to as (24s),what I call (O-Ring) tires Pulling (Trailers?)! They are Trucks with Hitches but they Don't fall into the Factory Class of (If Properly Equipped)!! Some trucks are for Show and some trucks are for TOW! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Yep, I get that. Cadillac ride is cool. However, where in this equation does the dealer/seller present the buyer with the prospect of hazardous miles ahead (trailer sway) should he/she be inclined to hitch up a TT with the OEM P-Meric tires that are installed on this vehicle?
The P tire will tow but not under the best of circumstances (caveat emptor).

It's like the RV dealer that tells you your 1/2 ton PU will tow a 16,000 lb FW, yes it will but it is gonna be a short ride.

So as long as the tires meet the minimum safe towing standards no mention be made about LT's.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #31
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of SUVs are never used for towing and the mfgrs cater to the majority. The P tires will carry the loads, but with the more flexible sidewalls they will exhibit "squirm" with the load. I have tried the P tires (GY Fortera) on my truck and I can tell you they will hold the load and I didn't get any noticeable squirm with 44# of air in them, but they did wear out much, much faster (Less than 30k and worn bad). Went to LR E and after 30k, they still look like new.

I would not tow on any P tire.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I run the PSI listed on the sidewall of the Coopers towing or not because there is nothing on the tire that says to do other wise.

Underinflated tires is one of the main reasons tires fail I will not run the risk of wrecking a 160 dollar tire or my truck by underinflating it.

Run the pressure on the sidewall of the tire, it IS the safe thing to do.
So do you run 80 psi all the time
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #33
Mod free 5er

On my LR E's I run 65#F/R loaded and 35#F, 30# R unloaded. Over 30K on tires and they look like new, but most of the mileage has been loaded pulling the 5er.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of SUVs are never used for towing and the mfgrs cater to the majority. The P tires will carry the loads, but with the more flexible sidewalls they will exhibit "squirm" with the load. I have tried the P tires (GY Fortera) on my truck and I can tell you they will hold the load and I didn't get any noticeable squirm with 44# of air in them, but they did wear out much, much faster (Less than 30k and worn bad). Went to LR E and after 30k, they still look like new.

I agree. It is not totally a load carrying capacity situation. It is also about side wall stiffness and controlling "movement".
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #35

Quote:
So do you run 80 psi all the time
Yes I do.
Discount tire has done a great job of keeping the tires aired and rotated.
Yes it does ride like a truck, but I do not mind.
I am ready to hook and go with no time out to air the tires up.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Thanks for to much info This is what I found out. My current tires Good year wranglers P275/65 /R18 have max load 2601. The tires I am looking at Cooper A/T3 C's have a max load of 2335. E's max load is 3415. So if I am thinking right my current P tires 4ply hold more then cooper C tires 6 ply. So if I want to get rid of the squirmy swaying problem I have to move up to E range no??. Or I just keep my current tires ???
A lot of people get bad information about their truck tires load capacity (even from tire dealers).

Passenger tires - any kind or design - MUST have their load capacity de-rated for use on Light Trucks. So your figure of 2601# for your OE tires is really 2364#. Vehicle manufacturers will automatically apply the reduction when fitting OE tires on the truck. The standard reduction is the value of the tire’s maximum load capacity found on the sidewall divided by 1.1.

ST & LT tires use the Load Range lettering system to figure tire load capacities. Passenger tires use the load index numbering system to figure tire load capacities. The two systems are not compatible.

Airdale

p.s. Your replacement tires should have the capability to carry the load established with the OE tires (2364#).
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 AM   #37
Just a member

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of SUVs are never used for towing and the mfgrs cater to the majority.
I get that - soccer moms appreciate that plush ride in the two and a half ton big iron thing. However, said vehicle, equipped with P-Metric tires, is specified by the manufacturer as being capable of towing an X thousand lb tt. Based on the frequent refrain in this forum that P designated tires contribute to trailer sway, it would be safe to assume that the vehicle manufacturer is potentially... negligent?

Quote:
I appreciate and respect that. My experience differs.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:51 AM   #38
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Passenger tires - any kind or design - MUST have their load capacity de-rated for use on Light Trucks. So your figure of 2601# for your OE tires is really 2364#. Vehicle manufacturers will automatically apply the reduction when fitting OE tires on the truck. The standard reduction is the value of the tire’s maximum load capacity found on the sidewall divided by 1.1.
So... is the dealer/seller obligated to inform me that the light truck's tire load capacity is not what is molded into the sidewall of the tire?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:25 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
A lot of people get bad information about their truck tires load capacity (even from tire dealers).

ST & LT tires use the Load Range lettering system to figure tire load capacities. Passenger tires use the load index numbering system to figure tire load capacities. The two systems are not compatible.

Airdale

p.s. Your replacement tires should have the capability to carry the load established with the OE tires (2364#).
And I would be that tire dealer. You are absolutely correct and I knew that but totally forgot it when posting. Thanks for posting the correct information.

I went back and edited my original post to reflect this for future.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:12 AM   #40

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
B and B what psi do you run? And are they the factory rims
Hello, I have 20 inch wheels and run 65 psi. Based upon loading this is plenty with Nitrogen fill.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, truck