Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDE OUT View Post
They don't have a D tire in my size and brand so they recommended a p- metric tire with a load index 116 that is comparable to a D the LT C has a load index 113 and the LT E has a index of 123. The only difference is the C is 6 ply and the E is ten ply. And I think the p-metric is 4 ply. Is it the ply that reduces the sway or the load???
P Metric is still a passenger tire. My stock tires were Pirellis. Work great on the DW Edge but soft sidewalls had it dancing down the road. You most likely will have enough load capacity, when I pumped the stock to max pressure of 44 psi they could carry more than my load, sidewalls still flex too much causing sway. I know first hand on 2 different trucks the sidewall issues with P tires.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #42
Mod free 5er

P tires will carry the load, but will not wear good if used strictly for towing, been there, done that, never again, I will run my LR E's and let the 65# down to 35#F/30#R when not towing.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
P tires will carry the load, but will not wear good if used strictly for towing, been there, done that, never again, I will run my LR E's and let the 65# down to 35#F/30#R when not towing.
Yes, I find that the edges of the LT tires hold up much better than the P Metrics. The truck also handles, corners, and drives better with the LT's. Noticeable difference loaded or unloaded.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Yes I do.
Discount tire has done a great job of keeping the tires aired and rotated.
Yes it does ride like a truck, but I do not mind.
I am ready to hook and go with no time out to air the tires up.
I put a set of the Discoverer HT3s on my F150 and the tire rep said to run at 35 psi when not towing and then adjust the pressure upward when towing. I was looking at keeping 65 psi in them and keeping that there.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Yes, I find that the edges of the LT tires hold up much better than the P Metrics. The truck also handles, corners, and drives better with the LT's. Noticeable difference loaded or unloaded.
X2

You don't have to run 80# in your E range tires... that is for MAX load conditions. I am fine running between 60-65 front 65-70 rear all the time. Makes for less sidewall flex which allows smoother cornering and less hiway sway. I mentioned earlier that mine were Goodyear Silent Armor which have excellant tread wear and don't sound loud while doing freeway speeds even with the fairly aggressive tread on them. Many people say they get nearly 100 K miles per reviews on tirerack dot com. I only have 25K, most of that towing, and they still look brand new after 2 years. You may also see a slight gas mileage improvement with the E rated tire at the higher pressure. Keep them balanced and rotated... my dealer will do that free for lifetime of that tire.

The E's cost more than P's and I believe that dealers swap tires on new vehicles all the time to please a customer request at time of purchase.
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #46

Well after a lot of thought and all the advice and opinions from everyone .And by the way thank you all. I decided to go with the load range E tire .I think these will work for me . So I had them Installed today and to be Honest the ride isn't much different just a little stiffer but not bad. They put 40 psi in might leave it there or bump it to 45 or 50 and try 65 when I tow .Oh and I went with the Cooper Discovery AT3.They seem to corner better then the older tires
Old 03-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Well after a lot of thought and all the advice and opinions from everyone .And by the way thank you all. I decided to go with the load range E tire .I think these will work for me . So I had them Installed today and to be Honest the ride isn't much different just a little stiffer but not bad. They put 40 psi in might leave it there or bump it to 45 or 50 and try 65 when I tow .Oh and I went with the Cooper Discovery AT3.They seem to corner better then the older tires
Enjoy and happy motoring!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
I put a set of the Discoverer HT3s on my F150 and the tire rep said to run at 35 psi when not towing and then adjust the pressure upward when towing. I was looking at keeping 65 psi in them and keeping that there.
I am sure you have noticed that there are SEVERAL different opinions on what tire to run (P vs LT) and what PSI to run in them and when.

I guess I am applying the KISS method to my tires by running one PSI all of the time.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I am sure you have noticed that there are SEVERAL different opinions on what tire to run (P vs LT) and what PSI to run in them and when.

I guess I am applying the KISS method to my tires by running one PSI all of the time.

I agree with you totally on that.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #50

I vote for load range E and and run them a little shy of max pressure.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #51
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
I agree with you totally on that.
Might I ask what is complicated or difficult in adjusting air pressure?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #52

Quote:
When new tires are fitted to your vehicle that do not conform to the vehicle’s certification label it’s the installers responsibility to set new recommended inflation pressures for the replacement tires. The proper procedure is to insure that the new recommended inflation pressures provides - at the minimum - the amount of load capacity the OE tires provided when inflated to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations.

By regulations the installer is allowed to provide an auxiliary tire placard and place it adjacent to the original tire placard with the new tire size and recommended inflation pressures.

If you have found a retailer that has provided you with all that information you have truly found a savvy retailer.

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, truck