Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Newb with Tire ???

First post

I Just purchased a 2002 Wildwood T23 pull behind. I've been looking at all the tire posts and I have learned alot. I wish I would have known how to check the dates on the tires before I pulled the trailer from Modesto to where I live in Tulare...

I thought the tires looked good and at the time I did not see cracking, but again my newb self did not know how to check the dates and I was liking the tread depth, whoops.

30 minutes from my home driver side front trailer tire looses the tread and shreds some of the fender well with it. Changed tire and made it home. Once home I see a crapola amount of cracking on the remaining three tires. My brother assists me in telling me how to check the date and it read 3601. Original tires.

I'm replacing all tires and the spare (different 0406 date) and I have C rated tires currently. The GVWR sticker reads 7460lbs. Tires read 1820lbs load limit each. I calculate the 4 tires to 7280lbs. Am I missing something? I thought the tires should go somewhat over the Trailers GWVR. I'm shopping for D rated tires and again the threads on this site are helping alot.

ClampNfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the forum!

You're forgetting that part of the 7460 lb GVWR of the camper is hitch weight, which would be 970 lbs using 13%. The 'C' load range tires are sufficient.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Just found the GAWR is 3500 for the front axle and same for the rear. Totalling 7000lbs, both axles. The C rated tires are 1820lbs each, totalling 3640 for the two tires on one axle. That makes since. I was wondering, in my newb brain, why would they put under rated tires on a new Trailer and sell it with the liability concerns.
ClampNfish is offline   Reply With Quote