Old 05-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #1

newbie and brakes

Someone help this nervous lady out. We are set to travel next week. I just don't understand the electric brake set up. Tell me if I have this right -- the trailer brakes are tied into the tow brake. When I apply brakes, the trailer brakes are also engaged. The trailer brakes were "set" at the dealer. When do I apply trailer brakes from controller on dash of truck?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #2

Your RV Dealer should have set up your 2016 Ford and New Flagstaff in the Brake Dept. You should read the Truck Manual about setting the Brake Controller! Youroo!!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #3

They did the set. I just have a fear I won't know when I need to apply using thhe manual controller. I will just hope I figure it out before I need to use it.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #4

You should NOT need to touch the manual trailer brake switch unless you need to make emergency stop. If the brakes are set correctly, you'll feel them kicking in when you step on the brake peddle of the vehicle your driving. You should feel a slight "tug" when you brake the vehicle you're driving. The trailer brakes will then release an instant after you take your foot off your brake peddle. In all the years I've been towing trailers, I've NEVER had to even touch the manual brake controller switch.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #5

I use the manual slide switch for two things. 1. to test the brakes when I first pull out to make sure the electrical connection is good. The trailer only brakes will engage and you can feel that. 2. The slide switch can be used to correct sway. If your trailer begins to sway you can slide the switch and brake the trailer causing pressure at the hitch that will pull the trailer back in line. Those are the only reasons I have used the manual switch.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #6
Carknocker Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I use the manual slide switch for two things. 1. to test the brakes when I first pull out to make sure the electrical connection is good. The trailer only brakes will engage and you can feel that. 2. The slide switch can be used to correct sway. If your trailer begins to sway you can slide the switch and brake the trailer causing pressure at the hitch that will pull the trailer back in line. Those are the only reasons I have used the manual switch.

X2
Old 05-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #7

Thanks for input. I have a stretch of road that I plan to use to test the brakes and me out before I hit the big road.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Don't be too worried about them. I had the same reservations a year ago when I got my TT. I pushed the manual button before I left my neighborhood before out first trip and haven't needed it since. It seems scary but once you roll a little bit and make the first adjustment to your comfort level, you won't really need to mess with the brake controller. Have fun and be safe
Old 05-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #9

Thanks for the encouragement. I ma getting more confident the more I read

Tags
brakes, newbie