Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1

Newbie checking wheel bearings, on the tv or not

Hi, New to this so........ New to me 04 All American Sport 36CK 5th wheel. I want to check wheel bearings and brakes tommorrow. Should I use a bottle jack between the tires as a jacking point? Should I leave it hooked to TV or on the landing gear? What else do I need to know? Thanks
IHDRIDER00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #2

When i do mine i place two bottle jacks, one in front and one in the rear on the frame as close to the axles as possible. I do hook mine up to the truck to protect the landing gear due to any shifting. Might be over kill but that is the way i do it
Old 03-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #3

I use a 4"X4" wood post that runs between both axles. If you don't think the post is strong enough you can screw a couple pieces of plywood to each side of the 4X4 to make it stronger. I place a bottle jack in the center of the 4X4 and jack up one side of the TT. I also place safety stands under the board under the axle and lower the TT down onto the safety stands. I keep some pressure on the bottle jack.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #4

Do you have rubber torsion axles, or regular leaf springs?
If you have leaf springs, you can jack under the axle tube where the spring shackles are.
If you have rubber torsion axles, you should have a subframe that the axles are mounted to. So, yes, you can jack between the wheels. But as the others have said, it is good to spread the load out. One suggested a 4x4, but I use a 2x2 heavy steel square tube, just because it is handier to carry in my tool box. But you can use whatever you have.
And especially if you don't have a subframe, I would never use a bottle jack without something to spread the load.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #5

This has torsion axles. Under 14,000 GVW. It's very empty now. Two jacks better than one, I never thought about that. I was going to do one wheel at a time. Safer. Al tho I've had a long career in Bus Maintenance. This thing is big in the driveway. Thanks
IHDRIDER00 is offline   Reply With Quote