Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

Newbie Confused

Okay guys I've read through the threads and cannot seem to find an answer and I'm still waiting on my owner's manual to come in from Forest River. I read through Herk7769's "Ultra-Lube axles and bearing procedures" and I'm still confused. How often should I have the axle hubs packed, on a non boat trailer I only have them done once every two years but I'm not sure with a TT. Our Sandpiper is a 301 BHD and has the easy lube axles but I'm not sure this really covers packing the hubs or if this is just designed to be hit with 2-3 shots of grease before each trip? I'm defiantly a newbie to all of this, so please help. Thanks.
BigDaddySC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Anacortesians

Good luck with the Owner's Manual. If the TT ones are as vague as the MH version, all they're good for is lighting fires. The MH "Owner's Manual" I have covers ALL FR's motorised RV's in less than 60 pages, so it isn't specific on any of them. The first 10 pages are full of the lawyer-speak on things you mustn't do.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp
Good luck with the Owner's Manual. If the TT ones are as vague as the MH version, all they're good for is lighting fires. The MH "Owner's Manual" I have covers ALL FR's motorised RV's in less than 60 pages, so it isn't specific on any of them. The first 10 pages are full of the lawyer-speak on things you mustn't do.
Very similar !
Lots of words very little info.
Lots of warnings.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

The FR manuals are useless, but the big envelope of individual manuals from each of the component manufacturers is invaluable. There should be an axle manual in that package. Mine had tremendous detail.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #5

I didn't get any manuals, so I guess I'll have to contact ever manufacture separately.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddySC1
I didn't get any manuals, so I guess I'll have to contact ever manufacture separately.
Every Vendor is online or in the files section of this forum.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #7

The manuals that weren't in my envelope, I've accumulated by downloading them from teh mfgr's websites. Also, "Herk", our super-moderator, has a fairly extensive library of them in the Herklopedia.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
H2oski

Check out this link to the files section and the axle manufacture manuals are there.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Running Gear - Axles, Tires and Brakes
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Our Palomino owners manual states that wheel bearings are to be repacked yearly and and as required and to check brakes every six months or as required.

I like changing bearings frequently as the cost is not that much and you have to change seals when repacking any way. Its Cheap insurance and having an automotive and trucking back ground REGULAR preventive maintainance is key- plus it cost out the wazu to have emergency service.
- sorry a little off topic but the top part should help.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

To answer your original question, the Al-Ko manual states to inspect and repack every year. The Ultra-lube axle is marketed such that they say out of the other side of their mouth that if you push out the bad grease often, you will eliminate the annual repacking BUT the annual inspection is still required.

This is lawyer-speak and that is why you are confused. In order to inspect the bearings they need to be cleaned and then repacked and installed if good.

So, "In My Opinion" as long as you have clean Zerks that push the grease through the hub and no grease on the brakes during inspection, a repack every couple of seasons is probably OK. Your experience may dictate otherwise.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #11

All this begs the question:

Why can car bearings last +200000 miles without any attention whatsoever yet trailer bearings need to babied every season or they will explode?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels
All this begs the question:

Why can car bearings last +200000 miles without any attention whatsoever yet trailer bearings need to babied every season or they will explode?

The quality is the main difference. And 200k is pretty rare anymore, we see more problems on newer vehicles then ones manuf. before 08 at the dealership I work at( chevy, buick, gmc, toyota, scion). Everybody is pinching that penny and quality is suffering. It also doesn't help that everything has been recycled so many times that the molecular structure has changed to were metal is not the same.

That is my experiance and opinion for what its worth!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
Site Team

The generic Forest River owners manual can be downloaded from their website:

Forest River RV Customer Service

It won't encompass a whole lot, and is not brand/model specific. You can find much more useful links in these forums.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #14

I must agree, I received my owners manual and it is very generic. The best thing they included was an additional step by step procedure to winter it.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Agree with herf7769, I greese my axels every 6 months now. The cost is a greese gun (20.00) and one tube of greese for every wheel you have. Access the zert behind the dust cover, push the greese gun onto the zert, pump the greese gun untill all the black greese is out (stopping to wipe the area) and the new greese is consistantly a good color. This will greese the hubs and the bearings. Depending on how much you RV should dictate the need fo inspections. I'm a full timer and inspect every two years. I even hand pack bearings (easy to learn). Although I don't have an arbor press to remove and install the new bearing races if required. It's a no brainer and easy to do.. Have fun.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote