Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #21

Cosco is starting to use the stuff in National City, Ca
they fill all of their new tires sold with it
and
have a free fill up for all to use
must be at least
a little someTHING good about it
because
why would they spend extra moniey on it

I'll still stick to standard air for now

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #22

I use good old cold Canadian air in mine and so far working OK for over one year. Just keep the pressure in check.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
I use good old cold Canadian air in mine and so far working OK for over one year. Just keep the pressure in check.
What the exchange rate on good ole Canadian air?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #24
Wanna Be Camper

If you don't live where you get temp extremes, maybe you don't need or understand some of the benefits. We routinely hit temps in the -30's and yes Nitrogen does as advertised. The tire pressures stay within TPMS limits on my truck, regular air you can easily set off the TPMS alarms as soon as it hits -30 or so. Now that dosen't do much for a trailer that is setting all winter, but at least I know the tire pressure has stayed in tolerance all winter. Say what you want, if you haven't used it and don't live where there are reasons to use it don't knock it because until you do you are only offering an opinion not any facts.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #25

Since our air is colder, the latest exchange rate is 1.01 per psi.....good one
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #26

Once you put regular air into them to top up - any Nitrogen benefit (if any were there to start with) is gone.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Imo a tire with no leaks shouldn't have to be topped off.
If its low there's a leak ie valve stem,bead,nail or screw.
tires just don't wick enough air to be noticed.
I've seen hundreds of tires leaking through the bead.
aluminium rims are notorious for this!
and are very hard leaks to find!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #28

Forest river manufacturing and the dealer sent my 2012 out the door with 40 to 41 lbs pressure in all 5 tires. In 2000 miles I now have 4 destroyed tires and the Forest river warranty office for Salem appears to be dodging calls. Not a great start to the season.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Forest river manufacturing and the dealer sent my 2012 out the door with 40 to 41 lbs pressure in all 5 tires. In 2000 miles I now have 4 destroyed tires and the Forest river warranty office for Salem appears to be dodging calls. Not a great start to the season.
Your right not a good start.

Did your dealer not pdi your camper to not notice the tire pressure?
What is the correct tire pressure for your tires?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Your right not a good start.

Did your dealer not pdi your camper to not notice the tire pressure?
What is the correct tire pressure for your tires?
50 psi is what is calls for max. The axles were measured and then remeasured and they are out 1/4 inch at one or two locations but not enough to cause the tires to wear like this.
I was also told that nitrogen filled tires will not loose air pressure as fast as regular air.
I'm not hoping to hijack a thread... but does anyone recommend a Tire Pressure Sensor Monitoring system and if so what brand and location to order from - since we are talking about tire pressures being questioned.
Safety Second!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
50 psi is what is calls for max. The axles were measured and then remeasured and they are out 1/4 inch at one or two locations but not enough to cause the tires to wear like this.
I was also told that nitrogen filled tires will not loose air pressure as fast as regular air.
I'm not hoping to hijack a thread... but does anyone recommend a Tire Pressure Sensor Monitoring system and if so what brand and location to order from - since we are talking about tire pressures being questioned.
Safety Second!
Look in the faq section I've listed the top brands Forest River FAQs - Forest River Forums tst seems to be the popular one
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #32

My experience with Nitrogen filled tires comes from the racing circuit, the races where you turn left a lot. Tires that are to be filled with Nitrogen should have the bead of the tire thoroughly cleaned, as well as the rim itself. True--once the tire is mounted to the rim the ambient air should be evacuated, much like an A/C system. Nitrogen molecules, not particles, are larger than ambient air therefore the Nitrogen should not leak out of any pinhole as ambient air would. NOT to say that Nitrogen will not leak at all. Nitrogen will contain practically no moisture as it is put into the tire, ambient air will contain some moisture with the amount of moisture depending on the relative humidity in your area.
Nitrogen will run cooler than ambient air, but the difference between a race car with Nitrogen filled tires and a travel trailer/motor home with Nitrogen filled tires would be like comparing apples and oranges. The pressure within a tire filled with Nitrogen can be controlled better than a tire filled with ambient air, we had gauges to check our tires within one-half of a pound. Now, with all that said, would I replace the ambient air in my TT tires with Nitrogen--NO. It's just not feasible for the use of tires on a TT or motor-home, IMO.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #33

Ok, humor me here, if nitrogen is a larger molecule and is suppose to be less likely to leak out and the other gasses in air are smaller and leak out, and since air is somewhere in the 70% nitrogen range, wouldn't the tire contain more nitrogen after being topped off? And wouldn't it approach close to all nitrogen after a few topoffs? Seems logical to me.
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

This thread will go on and on then likely end like the last one.

Total waste of money.

The idea started in the Space Shuttle program as "safety gone wild" on the idea that if there was no oxygen to contribute to a fire "it would be safer". Additionally, when the tire exploded; the inert Nitrogen would "put out the fire." (Space Happy Lunacy - pardon the pun)

Spread to the aviation community by Safety Officer's chatting it up and then to racing; since if it was good enough for Space and aircraft it had to be good.

Not to miss a beat to make money, waste gas from the Liquid Gas company's separation process to get Helium, Oxygen, Argon and other "money" gasses; Nitrogen used to be vented to the atmosphere.

Once there was a small market, they started pushing it to gas stations who added 5 dollars per tire sold as almost pure profit. The Nitrogen was costing them about a nickle per tire.

Marketing came up with the ludicrous idea that even though N was ONE SPOT to the left of O on the periodic table; O2 is somehow smaller and could somehow "slip" through smaller holes in rubber. 1 proton and 1 electron less will not make anything smaller in any significant way. In fact since the missing electron is in the same "shell" as the oxygen electron, the "size" is actually the same. Also, there are TWO atoms in each molecule of gas. So, bound together the inter-atom distance is also the same since "shell" to "shell" distance is the same.

TOTAL BS marketing.

Dynamic Periodic Table

So belly up to the table (periodic - sorry could not help myself); and plop down your hard earned cash.

Oh, as the word got out that it was useless, most tire stores now offer it for free as a " service" to their customers since no one would actually pay for it anymore. They can still use it as a CHEAP marketing ploy to get you to buy their tires.

Can we put this to bed? Probably not. This idea is more closely held by some folks than.... well anything. Someone will jump on with how having Nitrogen filled tires saved a small child in a burning wreck by exploding and putting out the fire. Just wait and see.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #35

I was riding my bike that had Nirogen filled tires and was hit by a bulldozer that ran a stop sign. The policeman said I would have been killed if not for the Nitrogen in my tires! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #36

Just fill your tires with beer. Then if you run out at the CG you can remove the stem and have more to drink then you could use the air to refill.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I was riding my bike that had Nirogen filled tires and was hit by a bulldozer that ran a stop sign. The policeman said I would have been killed if not for the Nitrogen in my tires! Youroo!!
What was a bulldozer doing on the road? Would think if you were on a bike you could take evasive action. How would tires on a bike save your?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #38
Site Team - Lou

OK, not one to post and run. Here is an article that explains why even though N2 is lighter than O2, the molecular dimension is somehow larger when it comes to "rubber".

However, if you look at the link; the site name is "Get Nitrogen."

Just like you can find doctors who swear that smoking is safe; here is what the Gas Industry has to say about N2.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

"Shell" theory is out; "cloud" theory is in. Based on "cloud" theory;

The higher number of protons (1 in each atom) exerts more "positive" pull on the electron cloud and as such keeps the electron cloud closer to the proton core. Since a N2 or O2 molecule is a dumbbell shaped object, the "waist" of the molecule will be narrower in O2 (with 1 more proton and neutron) than N2 with 1 less proton and neutron.

If the molecule hits the wall of rubber on end, it could slip through the gap between the polymer chains of rubber. Since O2 is "narrower" than N2 according to the article, he says O2 slips though 3-4 times faster than N2 (which also slips through, but slower).

So says:
Dr. Keith Murphy
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
Prism Membranes

St. Louis, MO

Still not buying it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Just fill your tires with beer. Then if you run out at the CG you can remove the stem and have more to drink then you could use the air to refill.
If you was to install margarita mix would it be shakin or stirred?