Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
There is a lot of controversy about 100% Nitrogen. I feel 78% works and would never recommend anything less than 70% Nitrogen. ;-)

Sportracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
Commercial Member
Lets separate the facts.
Nito is marketing gimmic. Nothing wrong with it but I don't think it worth the cost given air is almost 80% N2 to start with. You can learn more HERE.

The cracked valve is a real red flag. This simply should NOT happen on a 1 year old unit. ALL the valves should be inspected. I would also suggest bolt in valves as this will essentially eliminate that problem. If the valve was cracked and leaking that was the cause of the tire failure an not a problem or defect with the tire. The valve is less than 1 year old. It is NOT a tire so should not be excluded from your 12 month warranty.

I strongly agree with the other suggestions to get TPMS. You might consider units with a multi-year warranty and replacable batteries. Whatever brand TPMS you get I again suggest bolt in valves to better support the sender.

Not sure why you need to change tires. Have them inspected by a tire dealer that sells that brand. If there was no air loss or tire damage I do not know why you need to replace tires (valves are different matter). Inspection with dismount would make you feel better. Get the inspecting dealer to give/sell you a tire warranty.

The BEST tire to get is one with a National dealership network.
If you feel you need to change tires, you might consider LT235/75R15 LR-D if your rims can handle 65psi as that would give you tires capable of 2335# and you would not have the 65 MPH Max speed limit. You would need to confirm tire clearance.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety.
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
Update and Strong Suggestion

I was logged in and went to post this update when FRF hicupped, dumped me out, and lost my post. I will try again.
Yesterday we had four new Goodyear Marathon Premium Trailer Tires ST225/75R15 LR D installed at Sears Auto Center in Bartlesville, OK where we had them shipped after ordering them on The original tires were Lion Head which did not seem to be an easily found brand. One blew out after apparently losing pressure due to a cracked valve stem. Pressure had been checked and air added less than five hours earlier.
When the Sears tire techs started changing out the tires they found two more that were not road worthy. One had tread separation and the other was seriously out of round, would not roll straight. There were no wheel weights or any signs there had ever been any on the original tires/wheels. The techs felt the lack of balancing was directly responsible for the problems the tires exhibited.
The new tires have been computer spin balanced and we had metal valve stems installed. We also purchased road hazard. Between Goodyear and Sears we are comfortable that we can expect to have any future problems addressed quickly as we travel around the country.
Perhaps because my husband sold tires for several years a couple of decades ago, but it never occurred to us that unbalanced tires/wheels would be put on a travel trailer or anything else. We strongly urge that you check your tires for damaged valve stems and balance related wear. We were fortunate that our blow out happened before dark on a busy road, but not in heavy traffic, and CoachNet got good help to us in less than an hour. It could have been much worse
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
Originally Posted by Firefighter969 View Post
Nitrogen filled tires are a gimmick for travel trailers.Race cars and airplanes are a different story. I check my tire pressures on my truck and trailer just before we leave on every trip and top off as needed. My trailer came with nitrogen filled tires. And always do a walk around if we stop some where on the way.
I do the same thing as well as feel the hubs and sidewalls for excessive heat. I also check my wheels to look for cracks. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2415918217.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	40402 Luckily this hasn't happened to me.

jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote

led, tire