Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I did NOT call or Use any of the things you stated! Sucker/Dumb/ or any thing you stated!
I never said that YOU said those things. But other debunkers on here have. I am sorry if you read it that way.

Quote:
You Never stated anything about Evacuation in Your Op,Now you come to the Party with Info about Evac! Which I pointed out!
Exactly why I posted that you hadn't done your homework. Evacuators are common knowledge in the field. You apparently were not aware of them. Again, nothing wrong with that, but your posts were your opinion without full knowledge of N use.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #102

Jim can you please point to a study done that shows that a properly inflated tire with N2 will last longer than one with air. Not the race car or plane or the size of the molecule but one done on every day tires. because I have not been able to find one. And I am not trying to pick a fight just trying to educate myself.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Old 02-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #103

Nope. No study that I have ever seen. (at least not done under scientific controls). However all of the physical properties of air, O2, and N certainly prove (IMO) that proper N use has several advantages. (also seeing TPMS mounting straps rusted out, aluminum wheel beads oxided, etc. over the years convinces me of at least those advantages. ) Not to mention, O2 vs. N permeability and a few other minor things. So it's a "no brainer". The advantages are REAL. Is it worth the cost? Depends upon the user and the cost. A 2 - 5 year study would have to be done. But start here: Tires - Nitrogen air loss study

There are a whole lot of things that I do to protect myself while no study proving its value exists. Car, house, etc. insurance almost always costs much more than you will ever use of it. But I buy it..

If you need a study, don't use it.. until one exists.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #104

Qualification: I don't use N2, but IMO, I accept that it is a superior to compressed air.

It's a cost/ benefit decision. Any time you can put a perfectly dry inert gas in your tire, it's a no brainier. Does anyone disagree?

Industry didn't decide to look for a better alternative to air to screw people, there was a problem. O2 and water are enemies to rubber IMO.

Oxygen Damage
"Oxygen has been noted in Introduction to Rubber Technology (1959) to be the most destructive rubber degrading element of our environment. Unlike UV light, oxygen attacks a tire from the inside and the outside. The majority of cars on the road utilize compressed air, which is composed of approximately 21% oxygen, to maintain factory recommended tire pressure. The oxygen level of the compressed air degrades a tire from the inside, while the same destructive process is occurring on the outside of the tire."
Old 02-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #105

A simple no would have been good enough. Trying to make me look dumb "no brainer" for not using it was not needed.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Old 02-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #106

I apologize. I NEVER meant to make you look dumb with that phrase. I answered your question the best I could.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #107
Happy Keystone Owner

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456075981.852875.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	100061
Worlds largest industrial gas company with an endless supply. I know what we run! AIR!!

Years camping....55
Old 02-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Industry didn't decide to look for a better alternative to air to screw people, there was a problem. O2 and water are enemies to rubber IMO....
"
Yep. I might point out that even with N advantages, it was not a plot to make lots of money or a rip off scheme by the dealers. The vast majority of shops bought nitrogen equipment because customers started demanding it. We had it for the race car business, but most shops had no intention of dealing with it. It was simply a required competitive issue. Do the math. Does anyone believe you make a mint by buying several thousand dollars of Nitrogen gear and then filling up tires for $5?
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
Attachment 100061
Worlds largest industrial gas company with an endless supply. I know what we run! AIR!!
Since you put more miles on your tires in a month than most RV'ers do in years, that makes sense. The enemy of oxygen is TIME, not miles. Besides, I suspect when your trucks need air added, it is on the road much of the time, so they have to get it where they are. So.. non sequitur.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #110

This thread is hilarious. I don't care how scientifically beneficial it is. The dealers sell nitrogen because they expect to make a profit on it..

Whether is is worth the heartache the OP is feeling or the headache this thread crsated and/or the stress keeping nitrogen filled tires on the road takes is up to the individual owner.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #111

Yes HUGE profits. Several thousand in capital investment and hundreds in expense per month to fill tires at $5 and pay an employee to do it.

But Bernie Sanders would support your position. Disgusting profits...

They did it because customers wanted it. But you are correct. ANYTHING ANYONE in business sells is to make a profit. I am ok, with that.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #112

Sure they did. . .
Despite your laughter and all the scientific sounding statements in this thread, it has already been stated that there isn't a real scientific study answering the OP's question. Show us an experiment proving that Nitrogen will ever save a dime for a typical RV owner over the life of a tire. Otherwise, yours is just another opinion, not fact.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #113
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
But you've touched on one of the many touchy subjects on this forum.
Yes, the nitrogen/oxygen debate can become a passionate subject, as this thread and many many others on the same topic before have shown.

It appears to the site team, this is becoming a circular argument between just a few members, with the OP having dropped out long ago.

It's now starting to reference politics and corresponding rude responses, which are definite forum flashpoints.

In the interest of forum harmony, the site team is going to close this thread. We want to thank everyone for participating and offering their views/experiences here. Hopefully we can now help other members with their problems and move away from this non-problem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
led, tire, tires