Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #31

Decal

Just wondering if any else has the decal on the side of their TT regarding the nitrogen? Mine says - "Tires filled with Nitrofill nitrogen. Improves fuel economy, extends tire life, improves breaking and handling, increases safety. *Includes 24-hour roadside assistance. Distributed by LionsHead Specialty Tire & Wheel, LLC." and also a website. When we took delivery, we were told about the tires being filled with Nitogen but this roadside assitance thing was not mentioned and I didn't notice the wording until after we got home. The "roadside assistance" got me to thinking and I called my dealer and asked him what the decal meant. It seems they were not aware of the wording of it and are checking. In the meantime, I checked the website on the decal and it is not found but a search on the internet found the company. I emailed them and was told the dealers are supposed to give out registration cards upon purchase but again, my dealer knew nothing about this. It appears FR puts the decals on when leaving the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Decal.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	99759  

2016 Days Camping : 32
2017 Days Camping : 41
Old 02-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #32

I will have to look on my rig it has factory "Nitrofill" tires, but I don't recall a sticker on the side of the rig, I did get a information sheet on Nitrofill included in the packet.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
Old 02-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #33

IMO, N2 improving gas mileage is somewhat of gimmick.

They make that claim because a lot of people (not RVers) don't maintain their tire pressure and are running around on slightly deflated tires. (my son). Since N2 doesn't leak as fast as air, they claim better MPG. If you keep your PSI maintained, there's no difference.

IMO, I don't think it ethical to make that claim because they are assuming lower psi with air. (due to driver neglect.)
Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #34

We use air. I searched out the nitrogen filling station once and found out that it was $40 and then filled them with air for a quarter

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #35

It all comes down to what you want. It's like Ford,Chevy or Dodge. It's what you like

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #36

It is misleading, the key is proper pressure for the best milage whether it is a Trailer tire or Car tire. Myself I don't check them as often as I should.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
Old 02-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
Just wondering if any else has the decal on the side of their TT regarding the nitrogen? Mine says - "Tires filled with Nitrofill nitrogen. Improves fuel economy, extends tire life, improves breaking and handling, increases safety. *Includes 24-hour roadside assistance. Distributed by LionsHead Specialty Tire & Wheel, LLC." and also a website. When we took delivery, we were told about the tires being filled with Nitogen but this roadside assitance thing was not mentioned and I didn't notice the wording until after we got home. The "roadside assistance" got me to thinking and I called my dealer and asked him what the decal meant. It seems they were not aware of the wording of it and are checking. In the meantime, I checked the website on the decal and it is not found but a search on the internet found the company. I emailed them and was told the dealers are supposed to give out registration cards upon purchase but again, my dealer knew nothing about this. It appears FR puts the decals on when leaving the factory.
Many claims do not bother to tell you they are based on doing no maintenance of air pressure for months at a time in the non N2 filled tires used for a comparison. Along with some very speculative improvements that are next to impossible to measure outside a laboratory. Ask the N2 salesman exactly how a tire gets better fuel economy when inflated to the same level with air and N2.
It could be argued that inflating with N2 could actually result in a theoretical worse fuel economy. Remember that fuel economy is worse with lower pressure. N2 claims to be dryer which means less pressure increase. They also claim more constant pressure with N2 which also means lower than air so how can a tire with lower operating pressure get better fuel economy?
Inflate with Nitrogen and there will be MAGIC

seems to be what they are claiming

It is also possible to address the dry air situation for just a few bucks.

Bottom Line. It won't hurt. If it were free and readily available I would use it but it isn't free or readily available.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 02-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #38

Agree with Tireman9, you can spin the MPG issue whichever way benefits your cause, ha.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
We had nitrofill on the camper and a Junk Subaru maybe Nitrofill became Lionshead???? anyway roadside assistance meant to nitrofill they would come change a flat tire but it might be a week later

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Old 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We had nitrofill on the camper and a Junk Subaru maybe Nitrofill became Lionshead???? anyway roadside assistance meant to nitrofill they would come change a flat tire but it might be a week later
Actually, as best as I can find out by looking around the interent, Lionshead is the importer of the Ridgeway Sport tires I have on my TT and they are located somewhere up North. The Nitrofill company that I was able to find and email was located in Florida. They may or may not both be under one big company but I don't know that. The decal on my TT I guess could be read more than one way - not sure if it would be Lionsgate or Nitrofill that will give 24/7 roadside assistance and unsure if the assistance is for replacing a blown tire or a tire needing a nitro top off.

2016 Days Camping : 32
2017 Days Camping : 41
Closed Thread

Tags
led, tire, tires