Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #61

Doc73 in the years I flew for the airlines and all the general aviation and freight aircraft I've flown, I cannot recall any of them having nitrogen in the tires. This seems to be something rather new, my Mooney 201 with air in the tires would get a low tire now and then from sitting just like my class A does and how i'm sure this TT will do.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
Old 02-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Ok, not being smart... But then why not use air.. It is also inert..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Air contains oxygen which is not inert.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 02-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #63
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Yes, I know... It is an oxidizer... I know that, read my post above...

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 02-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #64
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Doc73 in the years I flew for the airlines and all the general aviation and freight aircraft I've flown, I cannot recall any of them having nitrogen in the tires. This seems to be something rather new, my Mooney 201 with air in the tires would get a low tire now and then from sitting just like my class A does and how i'm sure this TT will do.
I am not a pilot so I have no idea what I am talking about... And I am sure I will just chase my tail here...

I guess I just have a hard time grasping the idea that a N2 tire is better in a fire than an air tire. Yes, O2 is an oxidizer and is part of the "fire triangle", N2 is inert on its own... Air is 78% N2 20% O2 and then some other stuff like water and argon and such. But if a tire in an airplane bursts in a fire or makes a spark that could cause a fire from the burst I find it hard that the 200psi of nitro will displace all the air (oxygen) around it and put out or stop a fire. N2 is heavier than air, not by much but a little and the N2 would quickly dissipate (I would think) and be quickly replaced by air again. If two of the side of the triangle are still happening (IE tire broke and is now sparking on the runway) the fire would still start, just a fraction later.

NOW... As I said above to AD2's comment, I can MAYBE (very little maybe but I do not know the size and all of the compartment and no nothing of the "thinner" air up high) displace enough air to make the environment to lean to allow for combustion but that would, in my guess, still dissipate unless the compartment was comply sealed off or the N2 continued to fill the space like a Halon system in a room of a building.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 02-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Bob, you need to read the earlier posts before you post. We already beat "inert" to death.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #66

Gimmick!
Old 02-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #67

I have a commercial pilot's license but I am not active anymore so others may know better. For example, a tire blows upon landing, which is somewhat common, it is more likely to catch fire if there is air in the tire vs nitrogen. It's not that nitrogen is providing a Halon system or equivalent, but that the highly compressed air in the red hot tire is capable of supporting combustion. Now the triangle is complete, you have air, fuel & ignition. Yes the tire can roll down the runway and eventually catch fire with nitrogen also (so can a car or trailer tire) but you do have less chance of ignition at impact. This is just my opinion. The other factor for using nitrogen is that it is cheaper than having air compressors that are capable of going to 200 plus psi. Less quality control issues etc etc. (Although nitrogen has been responsible for deaths due to mishandling high pressure nitrogen without a proper regulator etc.) 4800 psi bottles.

I use air in my RV tires and also used air in my little Cessna 150. Ha. We did put air in the nose wheel vibration dampener for some reason. Probably to prevent corrosion.

I agree with the statement that it is up to the individual's preference. If I had free nitrogen at home I would use it but I don't so I use my air compressor. I have never had an issue in all of the miles I have driven on air.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #68

Being an ex long haul trucker we would use air. Has worked for many years IE air pressure on the side wall.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #69
AD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I have a commercial pilot's license but I am not active anymore so others may know better. For example, a tire blows upon landing, which is somewhat common, it is more likely to catch fire if there is air in the tire vs nitrogen. It's not that nitrogen is providing a Halon system or equivalent, but that the highly compressed air in the red hot tire is capable of supporting combustion. Now the triangle is complete, you have air, fuel & ignition. Yes the tire can roll down the runway and eventually catch fire with nitrogen also (so can a car or trailer tire) but you do have less chance of ignition at impact. This is just my opinion. The other factor for using nitrogen is that it is cheaper than having air compressors that are capable of going to 200 plus psi. Less quality control issues etc etc. (Although nitrogen has been responsible for deaths due to mishandling high pressure nitrogen without a proper regulator etc.) 4800 psi bottles.

I use air in my RV tires and also used air in my little Cessna 150. Ha. We did put air in the nose wheel vibration dampener for some reason. Probably to prevent corrosion.

I agree with the statement that it is up to the individual's preference. If I had free nitrogen at home I would use it but I don't so I use my air compressor. I have never had an issue in all of the miles I have driven on air.

I agree, each person has to make decision for themselves. I am sorry you are not an active pilot anymore. Dust off the logbook, go rent an airplane and join us in the beautiful blue sky. My business keeps me busy enough I don't fly as much as I would like to but I keep current and proficient as best I can. Every time I depart an airport I am reminded why I invested the time and money. Scheduling a trip to Colorado in about three weeks, day trip for college visit, even with the 50 knot headwind headed west I will log about 4.5 hours round trip. Not bad considering it is 16 hour drive each way.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:08 PM   #70

The other problem with nitrogen - what do you do if you're at the CG and discover your tire pressure is low? Do you nitrogen-aficionados carry a tank of nitrogen around with you? Or do you drive off with low pressure tires until you can find a place with nitrogen to top them off? Neither option sounds very good to me.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Closed Thread

Tags
led, tire, tires