Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #71
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
The other problem with nitrogen - what do you do if you're at the CG and discover your tire pressure is low? Do you nitrogen-aficionados carry a tank of nitrogen around with you? Or do you drive off with low pressure tires until you can find a place with nitrogen to top them off? Neither option sounds very good to me.
I never had it but when I jeeped more often, sold her this past year , a few of my trail buds had small N2 tanks. They used them for airing up tires and running air tools on the trail. Very pricey but worked great actually. I just installed an old A/C compressor and made my own air for the trail...

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 02-19-2016, 11:37 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD2 View Post
I agree, each person has to make decision for themselves. I am sorry you are not an active pilot anymore. Dust off the logbook, go rent an airplane and join us in the beautiful blue sky. My business keeps me busy enough I don't fly as much as I would like to but I keep current and proficient as best I can. Every time I depart an airport I am reminded why I invested the time and money. Scheduling a trip to Colorado in about three weeks, day trip for college visit, even with the 50 knot headwind headed west I will log about 4.5 hours round trip. Not bad considering it is 16 hour drive each way.
Yes, you never know, my brother in law is 80 and still flying his champ. (no medical required, ha) I love flying, I'm now a drone pilot, but I just crashed in the pond back of my house so I'm completely out of action (pilot error) other than youtube., ha I'm a youtube cockpit pilot watcher.. Some pretty good video on youtube.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #73

Quote:
The other problem with nitrogen - what do you do if you're at the CG and discover your tire pressure is low? Do you nitrogen-aficionados carry a tank of nitrogen around with you? Or do you drive off with low pressure tires until you can find a place with nitrogen to top them off? Neither option sounds very good to me.

Yes, excellent point.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #74

Good lord, N2 vs "Air" Gimmick

We're not flying planes, we're driving or towing RVs here. "Air" is made up of ~78% Nitrogen, N2, ~16% Oxygen, O2, and the remaining percentage is comprised of 8 or so other gases. Nitrogen atoms have an atomic weight of ~7, so a molecule of N2 is ~14, while an atom of oxygen has an atomic weight of ~8, and a molecule of O2 has an atomic weight of ~16. So, the N2 people will try to convince you that tires filled with N2 will have less leak down than a tire filled with "air". Ummm, how can that be since a molecule of oxygen is LARGER than a molecule of nitrogen? Why not fill the tires with helium (He)? It's lighter than all of the gases (with the exception of highly explosive hydrogen), so maybe it will help the RV "float" down the road. Well, helium is much smaller, (atomic weight of ~2 for He, ~4 for He2) and may leak out at a faster rate that N2 or "air". Plus there is a He shortage. For real. Please. It's a gimmick people. Like the saying goes, "There's a sucker born every minute". The ONLY possible reason to use N2 on a tire/rim combination is to help reduce/eliminate oxidation (rust) from occurring due to damp air inside the tire. Hmpf, I've owned vehicles for over 15 years and had over 250,000 miles that have had the same wheels on them, and they never rusted off from the damp "air" I used! If you believe all the hype and BS about N2 filled tires, the your next vehicle should probably be red, 'cause it'll go faster than the other colors.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 AM   #75

If you are along a highway in Real Need of a gas to inflate your Tire you would Take Regular Air to inflate! Youroo!!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Anybody know what the "Long/Haul/Truckers" do, concerning this issue?? ......
They use the air off of the air compressor on the truck, 78% nitrogen.

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Old 02-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #77

Quote:

I plan to carry a tank around

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean & Dot View Post
We're not flying planes, we're driving or towing RVs here. "Air" is made up of ~78% Nitrogen, N2, ~16% Oxygen, O2, and the remaining percentage is comprised of 8 or so other gases. Nitrogen atoms have an atomic weight of ~7, so a molecule of N2 is ~14, while an atom of oxygen has an atomic weight of ~8, and a molecule of O2 has an atomic weight of ~16. So, the N2 people will try to convince you that tires filled with N2 will have less leak down than a tire filled with "air". Ummm, how can that be since a molecule of oxygen is LARGER than a molecule of nitrogen? Why not fill the tires with helium (He)? It's lighter than all of the gases (with the exception of highly explosive hydrogen), so maybe it will help the RV "float" down the road. Well, helium is much smaller, (atomic weight of ~2 for He, ~4 for He2) and may leak out at a faster rate that N2 or "air". Plus there is a He shortage. For real. Please. It's a gimmick people. Like the saying goes, "There's a sucker born every minute". The ONLY possible reason to use N2 on a tire/rim combination is to help reduce/eliminate oxidation (rust) from occurring due to damp air inside the tire. Hmpf, I've owned vehicles for over 15 years and had over 250,000 miles that have had the same wheels on them, and they never rusted off from the damp "air" I used! If you believe all the hype and BS about N2 filled tires, the your next vehicle should probably be red, 'cause it'll go faster than the other colors.

I resent that comment about the sucker, I don't make fun of people on here because they like one product or another. What you like is your business.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #79

Here is what I'm going to do.
1. Like Too Tall I'm going to put water separators on my air compressors.
2. Continue to use air in the Class A until its sold.
3. Top TT tires off with air until I change them.
4. use nitrogen if provided free at the time of changing tires otherwise compressed air
5. continue to marvel at the depth of knowledge and experiences of the folks on the forum
6. make this my last comment on this thread (I may have to rethink this one)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
Old 02-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Here is what I'm going to do.
1. Like Too Tall I'm going to put water separators on my air compressors.
2. Continue to use air in the Class A until its sold.
3. Top TT tires off with air until I change them.
4. use nitrogen if provided free at the time of changing tires otherwise compressed air
5. continue to marvel at the depth of knowledge and experiences of the folks on the forum
6. make this my last comment on this thread (I may have to rethink this one)

Yea, I think we've beat this horse to death. ha. But one thing I really value about this forum is that we can have a conversation, disagree, present an opinion without the personal attacks I've seen so many time on other forum.

I really appreciate the courtesy shown by the member on this forum. Good bunch of people here.

Closed Thread

Tags
led, tire, tires