Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean & Dot View Post
We're not flying planes, we're driving or towing RVs here. "Air" is made up....... ETC. ETC. ETC.
First of all Nitrogen molecules when it comes to permeation ARE larger. Lots of reputable info on the web, if you missed it in physics.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

Nitrogen also has several other advantages. Take a look at the beads on aluminum rims after a few years. See what often happens to the internal TPMS mountings after a few years.

HOWEVER, unless you get it for free, it isn't worth the price. I GET IT FOR FREE, SO I typically use it.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #82

I was an early adopter of synthetic oil too. I'm probably another "sucker" who bought into the hype of reduced wear, better mileage and longer oil change intervals (yes, I do UOA on occasion to verify).

Sorry, I have to go to Costco to get my tires topped off with N2.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I was an early adopter of synthetic oil too. I'm probably another "sucker" who bought into the hype of reduced wear, better mileage and longer oil change intervals (yes, I do UOA on occasion to verify).

Sorry, I have to go to Costco to get my tires topped off with N2.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #84

katana pilot and spock123, good for you. Both Nitrogen and Synthetic oil ARE beneficial. The degree of benefit vs. cost is arguable. (My company did dyno testing for a lab on several off the shelf oils.) Synth is CLEARLY better in EVERY measurement, (but possibly overkill, depending upon your application and cost.) Nitrogen the same. But I like people who like the best...
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #85

Oh no, we've morphed into an oil thread! The old synthetic argument. I agree, synthetic holds it viscosity better and a lot of other things. Even ultra conservative aviation industry is on board with this now.

Synthetic shines in very cold and very hot conditions. that's why nearly every transmission and differential comes with synthetic. Synthetic oil has probably prevent Harley from going to a water cooled engine.

I use it in my car because we run it to the limit and that's what they require for oil changes. On my Cummins, I don't run to 15K per oil change, so I use dino oil. I make a lot of short trips along with towing so I change it more often.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
katana pilot and spock123, good for you. Both Nitrogen and Synthetic oil ARE beneficial. The degree of benefit vs. cost is arguable. (My company did dyno testing for a lab on several off the shelf oils.) Synth is CLEARLY better in EVERY measurement, (but possibly overkill, depending upon your application and cost.) Nitrogen the same. But I like people who like the best...

I use synthetic oil in every motor I have. It's in the two Honda's that I have. It's in the lawnmower, in the lawnmower, I don't use regular gas. I use synthetic oil in DW Mercedas. I use air for tires now but when I get the 36CKTS I'll get the Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires, then nitrogen will be put in camper tires and truck tires. Then I'll get a tank to carry around to keep all the tires topped off. I know it's just dumb me but on my first Cedar Creek I put like 10,000 miles on camper and it never needed to be topped off with nitrogen, I had TST 507 on the tires. I guess I'm just pure stupid or dumb or both but I buy what I like and not what someone tells me to buy.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I use synthetic oil in every motor I have. ...... I guess I'm just pure stupid or dumb or both but I buy what I like and not what someone tells me to buy.
Same here. I only use Nitrogen in the RV though. Just so people don't get confused ; It's Synthetic oil in the crankcase, and Nitrogen in the tires... (Don't reverse them.) (and N in the shock absorbers if so inclined. (BTW, most all high quality performance shocks use Nitrogen in them for the same reasons.)

And...You're not stupid or dumb, you just like quality. Last I heard there was nothing wrong with that.

I am not sure of why the push back on N. I understand that some people aren't up on Physics or Chemistry, but the negative noise on N is ridiculous. And. it is mostly from those that didn't do their homework. Yes, the advantage of N over Air, MIGHT not be worth the cost, but you can say the same about thousands of products. Acupuncture, Palm readings, many expensive "Brand Name" products, etc. N, IS functional and offers advantages over air. THAT is fact. BTW, actually, its not so much that N is good, but the fact that O2 is BAD. N is the cheapest, safest, easiest way to escape the damages of Oxygen and humidity. Now STOP this thread unless you have a degree in Physics, Chemistry or Engineering.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #88

speaking of Helium, would you get better MPG with helium since the vehicle would be lighter? Is it possible tht it could float right off the road?
Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
speaking of Helium, would you get better MPG with helium since the vehicle would be lighter? Is it possible tht it could float right off the road?

If the tires are big enough !!!😂😂😂

Old 02-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #90

I found it odd that the Expert above on Nitrogen filled tires,has Never said anything about Evacuating the O2 from all the mounted tires Before filling with the Nitrogen! Very few tire dealers have evacuation pumps to remove the Moist Air before installing the Nitrogen! Youroo!!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I found it odd that the Expert above on Nitrogen filled tires,has Never said anything about Evacuating the O2 from all the mounted tires Before filling with the Nitrogen! Very few tire dealers have evacuation pumps to remove the Moist Air before installing the Nitrogen! Youroo!!

I'm not trying to change your mind about plain air why try to change my mind about nitrogen. You buy what you like and I buy what I like and we are both happy

Old 02-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I'm not trying to change your mind about plain air why try to change my mind about nitrogen. You buy what you like and I buy what I like and we are both happy

I was NOT trying to change anyone's mind! I am just stating facts about the Proper way to install Nitrogen in Tires! Youroo!!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #93

Quote:
I was NOT trying to change anyone's mind! I am just stating facts about the Proper way to install Nitrogen in Tires! Youroo!!

Yes you are. I wish there was a delete button on this forum that way all the threads I didn't want to see I could just hit the delete button

Old 02-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #94

There is 1 located bottom left of each Post! Youroo!!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #95

Quote:
Oops. Wrong again.. Don't need a pump. A small valve attachment (evacuator) is installed on the tire valve (or might already be affixed to the filler's equipment. (BTW, if you want one I will sell you one for $5.) As nitrogen is pumped, it empties the vast amount of air from the tire using the Bernoulli effect. Even if that tool is not used, if the tire is emptied to ambient pressure using the Schrader valve, and then filled to 75-110lbs the percentage of 02 and humidity left in the tire is so low as to be ignored. Many if not most dealers have Evacuators. ( I sold hundreds of them. to dealers and race teams.)

Next?

Why fight this? On technical grounds you can't. No one is picking on you, or calling you a sucker, dumb etc, for NOT using Nitrogen. For those that feel it worth the effort/cost, it IS. I bet you spend some money or time on something that is arguably not worth the cost or maybe even worthless. N is not in that category...
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Actually a vacuum is lighter than air or helium. So you would float off the road better with nothing in the tire. (As long as it maintained its volume.. of nothing.)
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #97

Quote:
I was NOT trying to change anyone's mind! I am just stating facts.. :
youroo, You are not stating facts. You are stating things that you BELIEVE. Nothing wrong with that, but most people follow the statement up with "IMO".

And part of your opinion is valid: ie. N2 at some particular price is not worth it.
At some price point or effort, it is NOT worth it. (Just like high octane fuel, synthetic, oil, or quality tires.) But it HAS value and scientific proof in it's corner. It is not "bunk" or a "rip-off, etc", and someone who uses it, is not a "sucker".
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 02-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #98

Visit a tire shop. Either set the bead with N2 or pressure up, bleed off several times. The tire is purged with N2 but even if it wasn't, compressing a minuscule amount of air at atmospheric pressure which is already 78% N2 to 50 psi leaves a negligible amount of O2 in the tire which will aventually bleed thru the rubber anyway. 93% to 95% N2 is all that's needed to reap the benefits of N2 according to the experts.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
youroo, You are not stating facts. You are stating things that you BELIEVE. Nothing wrong with that, but most people follow the statement up with "IMO".

And part of your opinion is valid: ie. N2 at some particular price is not worth it.
At some price point or effort, it is NOT worth it. (Just like high octane fuel, synthetic, oil, or quality tires.) But it HAS value and scientific proof in it's corner. It is not "bunk" or a "rip-off, etc", and someone who uses it, is not a "sucker".
I did NOT call or Use any of the things you stated! Sucker/Dumb/ or any thing you stated! You Never stated anything about Evacuation in Your Op,Now you come to the Party with Info about Evac! Which I pointed out! Youroo!!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #100

Some still believe (truthers) that the government blew up the trade centers, faked the moon landing and OJ didn't do it. IMO, At some point, you have to look at facts and accept advancing technology. My 53 Chevy didn't have an oil filter. Would anybody run a vehicle without an oil filter today?
Closed Thread

Tags
led, tire, tires