Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitag View Post
OK - dumb question after reading these posts - our new Flagstaff TT came with NitroFill tires. If needed, can we fill them with plain old compressed air or do we have to use Nitro?
If you want to keep the approximate 95% nitrogen that you presently have in your tires, then you will need to keep filling them with nitrogen. If you want to have your tires to eventually go down to 79% nitrogen, then you can start filling with air. It won't go down to 79% all at once, because the air that you are putting in the tire is 79% N2. So your 95% nitrogen filled tires will go down just a small percentage each time you use compressed air.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
If you want to keep the approximate 95% nitrogen that you presently have in your tires, then you will need to keep filling them with nitrogen. If you want to have your tires to eventually go down to 79% nitrogen, then you can start filling with air. It won't go down to 79% all at once, because the air that you are putting in the tire is 79% N2. So your 95% nitrogen filled tires will go down just a small percentage each time you use compressed air.
Sort of like calculating radiation half lives...

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #43
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
You can fill them with regular old air from any gas station or home compressor. Reg air is 78% nitrogen, so there is no harm/no runs/no errors & nobody left on base.
And no money spent/wasted!
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #44

Some people want the best of everything. That is why I am one of those that will pay extra for nitrogen. Nitrogen filling stations fill, then drain then refill your tires 3-4 times to increase the purity. Plus, it also removes the the moisture that can later condense and cause uneven wear because of imbalance, not to mention corrosion of the steel belts that may end up exposed. Also, by removing the oxygen, the rubber lasts longer because there in little to no oxygen to cause crosslinking of the rubber which causes hardening and cracking. Also, you need to add air less often because nitrogen molecules are larger and permeate the inner liner less often which is worth the extra $$$$ to me. If you can't afford the extra cost, then keep putting air in your tires.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #45
Now a "Top Member"

Wow! Okay.
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #46
win

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaken1 View Post
Some people want the best of everything. That is why I am one of those that will pay extra for nitrogen. Nitrogen filling stations fill, then drain then refill your tires 3-4 times to increase the purity. Plus, it also removes the the moisture that can later condense and cause uneven wear because of imbalance, not to mention corrosion of the steel belts that may end up exposed. Also, by removing the oxygen, the rubber lasts longer because there in little to no oxygen to cause crosslinking of the rubber which causes hardening and cracking. Also, you need to add air less often because nitrogen molecules are larger and permeate the inner liner less often which is worth the extra $$$$ to me. If you can't afford the extra cost, then keep putting air in your tires.
You speak the truth, thanks for posting this
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #47
Grape Escape

I know of country boys filling their tires with natural gas(only cause they had a well at their disposal). Has anyone tried helium? Perhaps one would get better mileage as it's lighter than air.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
I've seen pics of "race rims" that have two valves, I assume one is for purging the air in the rim/tire and the other is for filling with nitrogen. Last time I checked my trailer rims I only saw one valve per tire! Guess I won't reach into my pockets for some gimmicky sales tactics! I back up the 99.5% uselessness of the product with 100% conviction! (for the average everyday person).

The inside valve stem is for the inner liner, its a tire in a tire that we use on tracks over a Mile, as far as getting all the air out its tough, to purge we just let the air out blow them up with Nitrogen then let that out and fill it one more time, Never can get all the air out
Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaken1 View Post
as long as you believe that..........................
Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #50
Mod free 5er

What was P. T. Barnum's famous quote?