Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Nitrogen in tires...

So, my tires came nitrogen filled. What am I supposed to do if I need a little? Take the tires off and truck off to a dealer once I find one with nitrogen?
Or, is there a method consumers can use to get nitrogen to self inflate?

I now the benefits of nitrogen can be argued, but this seems like a PAI if you just need a little fill...

Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
So, my tires came nitrogen filled. What am I supposed to do if I need a little? Take the tires off and truck off to a dealer once I find one with nitrogen?

I now the benefits of nitrogen can be argued, but this seems like a PAI if you just need a little fill...
Easiest thing to do is just top them off with 78% Nitrogen from any air compressor or tire pump. It is very doubtful they were actually filled completely/purged with Nitrogen anyway.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post

There has been a lot of dialog about 'nitrogen' in the tires. Look up the threads if you want the full spectrum layout. Just use plain 'air' and go on with your life and sleep well at night. The main thing is to 'air' the tires to the psi on the side wall. It is a rip off. Save your money and save your time and effort.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #4

Just using air is my thought as well.

I tried sticking with nitrogen in the cars and the only place I could get it was a dealer. So, IMO just another way to get you there. Air it is...
Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Anacortesians

Not necessarily to the maximum pressure molded into the sidewall! That's the highest safe working pressure for the tire. Your inflation pressure should be related to the weight the tire is carrying.

Over inflation (relative to load) will distort the tread from its best profile. It will result in heavier wear near the middle of the tread and less grip because only part of the tread width is in contact with the road surface.

I've posted on a couple of threads with background info from my Boeing research on tires and how nitrogen came to be standard inflation medium for airplanes.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #6

I had the very same question and asked my dealer at PDI. The tech stated the benefit of nitrogen was that it did not contract or expand( sensitive to temperatures) as much as air and that if I needed to fill my tires to just use a regular air compressor or pump. Like others have said,"air is 78% nitrogen".
Old 10-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Not necessarily to the maximum pressure molded into the sidewall! That's the highest safe working pressure for the tire. Your inflation pressure should be related to the weight the tire is carrying.

Over inflation (relative to load) will distort the tread from its best profile. It will result in heavier wear near the middle of the tread and less grip because only part of the tread width is in contact with the road surface.

I've posted on a couple of threads with background info from my Boeing research on tires and how nitrogen came to be standard inflation medium for airplanes.
The difference in approx. 5# on a trailer will not effect the tire wear you can detect. Besides 99% of the tires go out of date before they wear out. Safer to just inflate to the pressure on the tire and forget it.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stg1 View Post
I had the very same question and asked my dealer at PDI. The tech stated the benefit of nitrogen was that it did not contract or expand( sensitive to temperatures) as much as air and that if I needed to fill my tires to just use a regular air compressor or pump. Like others have said,"air is 78% nitrogen".
that only is true when the wheel is on a airplane, and the gear well is sitting at -40 for 3+ hrs them BAM the tire heats up to 200 in a few seconds. we top off our tires to 160psi when cold, when we return they can be up in pressure 10psi.. and lots of heat build up going from 0 to 140mph in a split sec plus the brake heat also adds temp

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires