Old 04-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Nitrogen is OK

As a tire engineer I see nothing wrong with Nitrogen. The "dry gas" part is the real advantage and I solved that with my custom dryer so I can always get the major benefit from the dry N2 that is sold but I don't have to pay for it.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Osmosis will occur with Nitrogen as well as air, just not as quickly. It's probably not even a noticeable difference to anybody.

Bruce
The NHTSA did a study on this and there is a considerable difference.
Nitrogen Filled Tires

Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanerb25 View Post
The NHTSA did a study on this and there is a considerable difference.
Nitrogen Filled Tires
Yup the study shows that if people do not follow the minimum recommendation from tire companies to check your air at least once a month you may lose 1% more air pressure with air than with N2.

NHTSA did not mention the cost of obtaining N2 and I am not talking about just the charge for the gas but also the cost in time & fuel to get to a location that will sell you N2.

Have to wonder what inflations the folks at BV motorsports are running to see normal day/night temperature swings to cause a tire to "go flat'.

Again, I see nothing wrong with inflating tires with N2. I would just like one of the proponents to provide a real world cost benefit for people that maintain their tires.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yup the study shows that if people do not follow the minimum recommendation from tire companies to check your air at least once a month you may lose 1% more air pressure with air than with N2.

NHTSA did not mention the cost of obtaining N2 and I am not talking about just the charge for the gas but also the cost in time & fuel to get to a location that will sell you N2.

Have to wonder what inflations the folks at BV motorsports are running to see normal day/night temperature swings to cause a tire to "go flat'.

Again, I see nothing wrong with inflating tires with N2. I would just like one of the proponents to provide a real world cost benefit for people that maintain their tires.
Well, I have written a cost/benefit model before... The reason why there isnt one for this situation is simply the variables.
I use N2 because there is a benefit and I dont pay for it. It is offered for free where I get my oil changed as well as where I buy my tires.

A simple model would need to know:
Cost:
How far did you drive
How much did you pay to fill ur tires
What your gas mileage is
(which are all different) if heard anywhere from $2.50 a tire all the way to $35 a tire

Benefit:
How many miles do you drive regularly
what is your gas mileage (as a car with 9mpg would get less cost benefit then a car with 40mph)
what is your vehicle weight (since increased vehicle weight creates more friction with the ground causing more temperature swings while driving, also shortening the life of the tires resulting in less benefit)
what is the temperature swings (air and ground)
....I could go on.

You are right though, there is a point where the cost does outway the benefit. If you have to drive 45 miles in your 9mpg vehicle and pay $35 a tire to get N2, it will not be worth it no.
If you have it availible at a location you already go to for something else? ofcourse. But the points in between are going to vary so much from person to person there is no point in making a model that would take up so many pages discussing variables that the people that would benefit from it wouldnt even read it...
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Can't beat free air right in my garage. See absolutely no benefit to N on anything but race cars and airplanes. 78% has been good enough since balloon tires were invented.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Can't beat free air right in my garage. See absolutely no benefit to N on anything but race cars and airplanes. 78% has been good enough since balloon tires were invented.
lol it is good enough.... dont get to excited

after 12 months your 78% N2 has a lot more N2 lol so its only temp 78% N2! the report also says
"An analysis of oxygen levels in the inflation gas of
76 tires that were currently in service on passenger vehicles, and which were all originally inflated and topped-off with air
(21% O2), showed that the inflation gas dropped to an average of 15 percent O2 after about three years of service. This can
be attributed to the faster diffusion rate of oxygen through the tires relative to nitrogen during on-vehicle service, which
increases the percentage of nitrogen in the tire cavity to well above the 78 percent N2 in normal air"
Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
lol it is good enough.... dont get to excited...
Not excited, just cheap and practical. Takes about 10 seconds to pull the air hose out to the trailer/truck every 3 or 4 months along with a tire gauge.

p.s. Don't get too excited anymore about anything.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not excited, just cheap and practical. Takes about 10 seconds to pull the air hose out to the trailer/truck every 3 or 4 months along with a tire gauge.

p.s. Don't get too excited anymore about anything.
Yeah lol (not aurguing) just saying
1 day at o2 fill up 78%N2 at 4 months its probably 90% N2 ur only 9 percent off!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #29

Air is the answer. Lots of science for the chemical stuff. I wonder if it helps folks relax. Heck, might stop china bombs... LOL

I do not know the right way to go... I am cheap and will watch my tires with air in them, just like I would with anything else.

Safe travels to everyone.
Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yeah lol (not aurguing) just saying
1 day at o2 fill up 78%N2 at 4 months its probably 90% N2 ur only 9 percent off!
After 2 yrs on these tires, have never had to add over 1# or 2#, most times none.