Old 04-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotim View Post
Hey all,
I just purchased a 2016 Salem Hemisphere 29BH. They have Dexter D44 axles, and they are supposed to have Ultra Lube axles.

A picture should be attached. How do I lube these axles. I don't see a zerk.
Neotim...

Same on my 2016 Heritage Glen...no zerk.

Happen to find out anything? Taking the unit in for some warranty work and was going to have the dealer check it out.

Thanks,

Old 04-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #12

Emailed FR customer service about our issue. See the following reply...

"Mr Smith
Have your dealer contact our supplier Lippert Components at 574-537-8900 and they can help them on this problem and have the grease zerks installed. Thank you for your assistance.

Wayne Bigler
Salem / Wildwood
Customer Service Representative
574-533-2165"

Old 05-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
I suggest you check out thoroughly the benefits of this easy grease axle. I lost a wheel bearing which is no fun on the road. A knowledgeable (I believe) mechanic told me that pumping grease in that axle end zerk will lub the front bearing but it will be a frosty Friday before that grease makes it's way to the rear bearing. He suggested that one would need to fill the spindle cavity with grease and then one could easily push out the rear grease seal. To each his own but ......
The grease has to go thru the bearing. Your mechanic may be thinking of bearing buddies which aren't so great. But EZ lube is awesome. I been using them since 1995 and have never pulled a hub. Displace all the grease every year while rotating the wheel and check for end play.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #14

neotim...

Here is what I found out about no zerks on my 2016 Heritage Glen.

Seems like there was some confusion at Forest River as to what type of axles were suppose to be on my TT. Customer Service says they are suppose to be Lippert Ultra Lube axles, while the Warranty department says they are suppose to be Dexter standard axles.

Had the dealer look at the axles on my TT and Dexter's it is.

Received an email from FR Customer support this AM...
"Mr. Smith
Apparently, the Ultra Lube/EZ-lube axles were a standard feature when the literature was first made and late in the production year they made a change to the standard features for the remaining part of the production year. With this in mind I cannot offer a change in the axles for they are no longer used."

So, it looks like they are now just using the standard Dexter axle. One of the selling points of me buying the TT was the Ultra Lube/EZ-Lube type axles. Guess I can take back the tubes of grease I bought to fill up the space in the spindles.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSmitty View Post
neotim...

Here is what I found out about no zerks on my 2016 Heritage Glen.

Seems like there was some confusion at Forest River as to what type of axles were suppose to be on my TT. Customer Service says they are suppose to be Lippert Ultra Lube axles, while the Warranty department says they are suppose to be Dexter standard axles.

Had the dealer look at the axles on my TT and Dexter's it is.

Received an email from FR Customer support this AM...
"Mr. Smith
Apparently, the Ultra Lube/EZ-lube axles were a standard feature when the literature was first made and late in the production year they made a change to the standard features for the remaining part of the production year. With this in mind I cannot offer a change in the axles for they are no longer used."

So, it looks like they are now just using the standard Dexter axle. One of the selling points of me buying the TT was the Ultra Lube/EZ-Lube type axles. Guess I can take back the tubes of grease I bought to fill up the space in the spindles.
What a screwed up deal that is.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #16
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

You're better off with Dexter axles over anything Lippert makes. Worse case scenario is you pull wheels once a year and fresh pack the bearings. At the same time inspect brake shoes, drums, and magnets. Don't feel bad, the ez-lubes are over rated and many times end up with blown out grease seals and ruined brake shoes.
Enjoy what you have and camp.
05CrewDually is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:32 AM   #17
Canadian Member

Even with my Dexter E-Z Lube axles, I still have the bearings done manually and the brakes checked every Spring.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
The grease has to go thru the bearing. Your mechanic may be thinking of bearing buddies which aren't so great. But EZ lube is awesome. I been using them since 1995 and have never pulled a hub. Displace all the grease every year while rotating the wheel and check for end play.
I learned the difference the hard way. Had a bearing failure on a long trip because I believed Buddy Bearings were doing the job. We have the EZ-Lube now and glad for it. There are some great videos on youtube that show why they work differently.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle