Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Not sure on this - Flood Water in the Brakes

I have a quick question about flood water seaping into the brakes.

We have had 3 days worth of rain here and where I have my trailer parked the area flooded and the water level was just under the center of the rim

I have a 2011 Mini Lite 2306 with Al-Ko axles.
The axles are well greased with Red and tacky #2 so water intrusion into the axle isnt a worry - its the brakes I am worried about.

I have had a Boat but it was with surge brakes and we flushed those - these are electric and have never experianced this before so am asking for opinions on what I need to do to keep them from freezing up having issues with them.

Here is what I am thinking of doing but want to make sure that I am thinking correctly - I am going to hook the trailer up tommorow and take it around the block or down the road to try and dry the brakes out and use them with the brake controller. Please tell me if I am thinking right or wrong here cause I have trip in two weeks that will take me 2 hours to get there and I do not want to have issue's before I go.
Thanks
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a great plan. Drum brakes, which are on your trailer, are not water proof. Actually no brake system is that the average consumer would use is. By taking it out, and using them some, you will get them dry. Then by taking the trip, should be all you need. I would pull the rubber caps off the axle ends and look for water in the hubs. Might even add a shot or two of grease. As long as it wasn't under water for several days, and you get them dried out pretty soon, you should be fine.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #3

I wouldn't take the chance that water did NOT get into the bearings. they should be all dismantled, cleaned, and regreased. To 'assume' that they are fine is a huge mistake. The consequences are far worse than the little bit of work to make sure they are ok.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

IMO: You're problem here is not water, it is "grit". Dirt, "stuff" that came along with the water flow. So let's look at it this way: The water level came up, but I bet it didn't come straight up. The water flowed from somewhere higher up into the area your TT was parked. Now think: What came along with the water? Actually you don't know all that came with the water. Of course there is the usual dirt, sand, etc. But--(from experience) is there a septic system located upflow from your TT? What could possibly be lying on the ground as the water flowed toward your TT? I would jack the rig up as if changing a tire, remove the tires and brake drums, then wash with a water hose. Allow this to air dry for about a day, then do the other side. Pulling the TT around the block will only remove the grit located along the shoes/drums. This will not remove those unwanted "thingy's" that came in with the water. Just my 2¢ worth.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #5

Good points noted.... I personally would inspect for corrosion to the wires, brakes will dry best when hot, such as under use, they will only stick if allowed to dry and rust to the drum, however, as an electrically actuated drum, the brake pad should not be resting against the drum unless activated. I agree with windrider, you should be fine.

Thurman does make a good point about crud in the water, but you saw the quality of water in your flooded area, you will be the best judge of whether it requires an open drum inspection.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #6

alot of good points and I appreciatte the responses - I did take it out yesterday to atleast make sure the brakes were ok and seems the water only came up to the bottom of the drum as evident by the dirt marks - never made it to the wheel bearing but I will be inspecting that this weekend to verify no water got in there.

Thanks again - much appreciatted
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes