Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Captain Capps

Send a message via Skype™ to silica
OLD Tires

I have 225 75R 16 (LT) Michelins on my (2006)Lexington 225 and purchased coach used. 2006. I question whether FR installed Michelins originally. The odometer now says 20,000 miles. I ask this question because there is minor small cracking on the sidewalls, but the tire tread appears like new. I hate to buy new tires when the tread looks so good but if the tires are old I'm advised to replace for fear of blow outs. If I assume the tires are 6 years old, is the life expendancy exceeded?.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #2

I can't comment on what were installed at the factory. If you call Forest River and give them your VIN they should be able to let you know what brand was used. There should also be a date code on the tire. You can narrow it down that if it was 2005-2006 range then most likely they are original tires.

With that being said, in my experience no matter what brand tire, you will want to replace after seeing dryrot. I'm running into the same issue with my tires on my travel trailer. I purchased it used and tread was good and I noticed slight dryrot appearing on the sidewalls. I'll be replacing all four tires before we take it out this season.

It is not an easy cost to take in for anyone as those tires aren't cheap but, for safety, comfort, and reliability it's really the best option.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
daydreaming about camping

first - it does not matter how old the coach is, it matters how old the tires are. check this link for information on how to determine.

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

If they are dry rot cracking at the sidewalls, they are most likely cracking between the treads as well. Cracks there are usually deeper due to the flexing of rolling and are the location of the "final failure" when the tire blows.

You will not even be able to see those cracks until the tire is deflated and you flex the tread. When my OEM tire exploded, I replaced all 4 tires.

The tire tech at Goodyear actually showed me the difference between the side wall cracks and the deeper tread cracks on the "good" tires. I was lucky I only lost the one on that trip.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #5

Tire solution?

Hi Gerry - I have a similar motorhome ('06 Lexington 255) very likely with the same tires on it (Michelin 225x75xr16). I now have 32K miles on those (tread in excellent shape) but had two separate blow-outs last summer. I run my tires at 80 psi and stay at 65 mph when on the freeway. The blow-outs always rip things up (so far, damage I have been able to repair myself), but changing duals on the side of the road is never fun. So I am looking to replace the remaining tires as well. However, I stopped at a scale on the freeway last fall and weighed both axles when fully loaded. The front axle was 3600 lbs and the back 10,450 lbs. So the tires that were on it were at maximum load - or over. They are rated at load range E which is 2470 lbs each when used as duals.

My local Lexington dealer doesn't sell tires and recommended a local tire shop that I have used before, but they can't find anything above a Load level E in that tire size. Increasing tire size means purchasing new rims (probably 7 if I want everything to be interchangeable) so I would like to avoid that. I will be heading to Canada in June for our first major trip this year and I definitely need to find a solution before then...
Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Graduate Member

we just had a blowout on our last trip (luckily no damage other than the tire).

We knew we had 08 tires on an 09 camper, but upon closer inspection after the blowout, we had 4 brands (continental, kelly, firestone and michelin) out of 7 tires.

We're replacing all this weekend.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
Hi Gerry - I have a similar motorhome ('06 Lexington 255) very likely with the same tires on it (Michelin 225x75xr16). I now have 32K miles on those (tread in excellent shape) but had two separate blow-outs last summer. I run my tires at 80 psi and stay at 65 mph when on the freeway. The blow-outs always rip things up (so far, damage I have been able to repair myself), but changing duals on the side of the road is never fun. So I am looking to replace the remaining tires as well. However, I stopped at a scale on the freeway last fall and weighed both axles when fully loaded. The front axle was 3600 lbs and the back 10,450 lbs. So the tires that were on it were at maximum load - or over. They are rated at load range E which is 2470 lbs each when used as duals.

My local Lexington dealer doesn't sell tires and recommended a local tire shop that I have used before, but they can't find anything above a Load level E in that tire size. Increasing tire size means purchasing new rims (probably 7 if I want everything to be interchangeable) so I would like to avoid that. I will be heading to Canada in June for our first major trip this year and I definitely need to find a solution before then...
Mike
That is a ton of weight on that rear axle. Any idea what the RAWR is? I wonder if you may be over it, I would be surprised if it was more than 10K.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #8

Thanks, Jeep/J8; the sticker tells me the Rear GAWR is 9450 lbs (GVWR is 14,050 lbs) with those tires at 80 psi. When I weighed it, we did have a full tank of gas and a full water tank. Gray and black water were close to empty. I have built an aluminum rack for windsurfers and bikes that mounts in the receiver hitch (plus a second receiver that I added for stability). The rack is aluminum and the rack when loaded with gear shouldn't add more than about 300 lbs total.
Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #9

Unless you are a full-timer (I wish) with your RV unit (trailer, 5th wheel, motorhome) almost everyone will have to replace tires because of age before they ever get close to wearing out.

It's sad, and expensive, but true. We don't travel with these toys everyday like a family car, so UV and such will take it's toll on these tires.........and none of them are as inexpensive as car tires.

Tread that looks like new always hurts when it's time to replace, but if they fail............what's the costs and risks if you push the limits?????

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
Thanks, Jeep/J8; the sticker tells me the Rear GAWR is 9450 lbs (GVWR is 14,050 lbs) with those tires at 80 psi. When I weighed it, we did have a full tank of gas and a full water tank. Gray and black water were close to empty. I have built an aluminum rack for windsurfers and bikes that mounts in the receiver hitch (plus a second receiver that I added for stability). The rack is aluminum and the rack when loaded with gear shouldn't add more than about 300 lbs total.
Mike
That means you are exactly 1,000 lbs OVER your RAWR. (and incidentally at your GVWR) You need to try and move some weight forward if at all possible. I am guessing the water tank is probably only around 3-400 lbs, so that means you still need to move some weight forward.