Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

? On brake drums

Just bought our 2013 grey wolf 25rr in may. I changed the trail express tires last week cause one had a few splits in the side wall and they all had an odd looking to me indentation around the sidewalls half way from the rim to the tread. I put on radial marathons. After jacking up the th, I spun each wheel. One was very tight compared to the others. With the rim off I couldn't turn the hub all the way around, like it had a sticking point. I tried adjusting the brake from the back side, didn't help, went in wrong hole. I took the hub off and adjusted the brake shoes in a bunch. Inspecting the hub, I didn't see anything wrong, other than the inner bearing seal is dented a little, like someone might have hit it with a hammer. I put the hub back on, it would turn all the way around, I then adjusted the break from the back side till it started rubbing again, rubs in only one spot that I can tell.
My question is could the hub be warped?. We've only put 300 miles on this th and haven't had to ride the brakes. Could the hub get warped from heat if its rubbing? Should I contact the dealer, FR, or Lippert? Should this be a warranty claim?
The dealer I bought this from is an hour away. There is an rev dealer closer to me, Colerain RV, Cincinnati, does anyone know if they would do warranty work on this even though I didn't buy it from them? That is if the hub is covered under warranty. Also if it is warped and covered, do you think FR or Lippert would send me a hub and bearing? And I could install it myself. I took a picture of the bent bearing seal, but don't know how to upload the pic to here.

Thank you in advance if anyone can give me some guidance .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	34965  
R1campr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Any good shop can tell you if the drum is warped.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Any good shop can tell you if the drum is warped.
X2
Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
DDC

From what I can see in the picture it does not look like it has gotten too hot ( the colour changes) does the brake surface of the drum have blue areas? I think you just had a poorly adjusted brake.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

My dealer is about 60 miles away, they send me my warranty parts by mail if I want to do the work myself. I would take the hub into a break shop and asked them if it is warped or not first. I try not going to my dealer unless it's something major that I can not handle myself or if FR wants a picture sent first, that happened on my heating system so I had to take it in even through I knew what the problem was and it came out I was right, but they wanted pictures first. I just got done installing a new limit for my water heater on electric (side only) it was only coming out luke warm water. They sent me the limit I put it in but had to send the old back to the dealer, everything is back to normal now. I guess I'm saying it up to your dealer not really FR.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote