Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #1

One wheel locking up on trailer disk brake system

I have a 2016 Riverstone 38TS with 4 wheel disk brakes and one of the wheels locks up when breaking hard. It is always the same wheel, the passenger side front axle. I have raised the wheels off the ground and checked that all wheels are braking to some degree. I have found threads on drum brake systems but nothing about disk brakes. Is it normal for only one wheel to lock up first and the others continue rolling? If not does anyone have a suggestion on what is causing this to happen.

smitwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
llr

any chance that would be the lightest tire? Nose high and heaver on drivers side?

If this is not the case I would try bleeding the brakes and see if it helps

Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. Yes I think that it is the lighter side, I haven't weighed recently though. But its level front to back when towing.
smitwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

Under heavy braking , front of TV goes down, rear comes up. Possibly raising the front of your trailer and decreasing tire contact pressure on front axle ?
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
any chance that would be the lightest tire? Nose high and heaver on drivers side?

If this is not the case I would try bleeding the brakes and see if it helps
You're not going to have a lighter tire front to back. With the EQ and the levelness of the trailer both tires are carrying the same load. You can have lighter/heavier side to side.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
You're not going to have a lighter tire front to back. With the EQ and the levelness of the trailer both tires are carrying the same load. You can have lighter/heavier side to side.
Depends on the axles, I have tor flex so they are independent. I have no idea what the riverstone has.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Depends on the axles, I have tor flex so they are independent. I have no idea what the riverstone has.
Even with independent axles on a level trailer you will not have more weight on one axle than the other. You can shift weight between the truck (tongue/pin weight) and the trailer (trailer axles weight) but you will still have equal weight on each trailer axle. The weight on the axles is due to the spring compression. Springs compress on each axle at the same rate because they are attached to the frame and the frame is equal distant from the axles on both axles. So a spring compressed to X will give a force of Y. Both springs are compressed equally on any suspension system if the frame is level to the road. If there is an equalizer then they will have the same weight even with a slightly unlevel trailer. If there is any deviation in the springs due to a replacement or a failing spring or a bent spring hanger bracket that could account for a different weight on each axle.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #8

Could have a sticking piston in the caliper causing the disk to lock up first because of the drag of the caliper not backing off. If I remember right you should have about 5lbs of drag on each disk. I would have the system checked out could be air in the system causing problem also.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock, trailer, wheel