Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

One worn tire...

Something always seems to happen either going to or coming back from FROG! Yesterday, I noticed a lot of wear on the inside of my right rear trailer tire. The roads have been absolutely horrible so I wouldn't be surprised if I needed an alignment on the truck and camper. However, since it only seems to be the one tire. I'm thinking a bent spindle. I have Dexter 7k axles. If a bent spindle, perhaps go to 8K axles? Stay with Dexter or go Lippert? Or no name,such as these that are Dexter US made copies?

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/7k...mdHhoCLP3w_wcB

Thought from those who have been down this road? Pun intended! I'd go Morryde IS, if I could afford it, but that's too much money.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Something always seems to happen either going to or coming back from FROG! Yesterday, I noticed a lot of wear on the inside of my right rear trailer tire. The roads have been absolutely horrible so I wouldn't be surprised if I needed an alignment on the truck and camper. However, since it only seems to be the one tire. I'm thinking a bent spindle. I have Dexter 7k axles. If a bent spindle, perhaps go to 8K axles? Stay with Dexter or go Lippert? Or no name,such as these that are Dexter US made copies?

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/7k...mdHhoCLP3w_wcB

Thought from those who have been down this road? Pun intended! I'd go Morryde IS, if I could afford it, but that's too much money.
Before condemning the spindle as "bent", check wheel bearing adjustment and the tire itself. Wear on the inside of the tire could indicate loose wheel bearing that is causing the wheel to have negative camber as well as toe-out. It could also be a tire failure with the internal structure allowing more wear on that one side.

Note: When a tire is rolling in a toe-out condition the edge that contacts the road first will wear more than the other side. It will also create a "feathering" wear pattern on the tread, in a toe out condition the sharp edge will be the outside edge.

Before spending a lot of money on axles or alignment, first check the wheel bearings on that hub and that tire itself. Since it's a rear wheel, just remember that on a rough road the first tire (front) will encounter potholes first and is more likely to have damage than the rear, or at least you'd expect BOTH to show damage.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan

"2004" Male Shih-Tsu Co-Pilot
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

I found the bushing on the spring hanger bolt behind that tire was shot. Don't know if that can cause it, but I replaced it. I'll replace the rest when I get home.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
I found the bushing on the spring hanger bolt behind that tire was shot. Don't know if that can cause it, but I replaced it. I'll replace the rest when I get home.
If that bushing is worn and allows that wheel to shift back that tire will be running toed out which would cause wear on the inside of the tire. If you check the tire on the other side you might also note some wear on the outside edge of the tire with a sharp feather edge on the inside of each tread "rib". Place you hand on top of the tire and push in. Then with your hand still on top of the tire, pull out. Which side of the ribs feels sharpest? If the inside, the tire has too much toe in and if the outside, then it's toe out.

Only way rear axles are aligned is through the bushings, usually just replacing with new or by bending the axle with specialty alignment equipment. Definitely go with bushings and if you can find aftermarket Urethane bushings (often from off road suppliers) they are a lot more positive in maintaining alignment and also more long term durable than conventional rubber. The ride might be a little rougher but only noticeable in a trailer if someone is riding inside. Not often that happens.

Rubber bushings are OK but just be sure to check regularly and replace as needed.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan

"2004" Male Shih-Tsu Co-Pilot
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If that bushing is worn and allows that wheel to shift back that tire will be running toed out which would cause wear on the inside of the tire. If you check the tire on the other side you might also note some wear on the outside edge of the tire with a sharp feather edge on the inside of each tread "rib". Place you hand on top of the tire and push in. Then with your hand still on top of the tire, pull out. Which side of the ribs feels sharpest? If the inside, the tire has too much toe in and if the outside, then it's toe out.

Only way rear axles are aligned is through the bushings, usually just replacing with new or by bending the axle with specialty alignment equipment. Definitely go with bushings and if you can find aftermarket Urethane bushings (often from off road suppliers) they are a lot more positive in maintaining alignment and also more long term durable than conventional rubber. The ride might be a little rougher but only noticeable in a trailer if someone is riding inside. Not often that happens.

Rubber bushings are OK but just be sure to check regularly and replace as needed.
The bushing that was bad is a bronze bushing and you could see in the grease on the hanger that the spring was bouncing up and down instead of pivoting there. I also have the Dexter Flex-eze that are 5 years old and someone said that cold cause uneven tire wear. It is probably time for me to re-build my suspension system. That would be springs, u-bolts and Flex-eze.

Tags
tire