Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Opinion on TPMS TST 507 flow thru sensors

My TST 507 RV TPMS arrived this week and I am reconsidering the size of the flo through sensors. I have 15 inch aluminum rims with 1.25 inch stems. Those sensors look pretty large to be slinging around at 60 mph on the stem. They stick out pretty far also. Anyone using this newer flo through sensor or the older one that looks more like a valve stem cap? I plan to have hi pressure brass push in stems installed. What sensor do you think is best for my smaller application wheel?
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #2

I too am interested in what Zolin mentions and will be lurking to learn as well.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #3

I have the TST 507 Flow-thru system and ran about 60-62 mph Ontario-to-Key-West and back a month ago. Only problem was that the battery o-ring leaked on one of the TV rears in heavy road salt spray about 2 hours into the trip. It shorted out the battery but after cleaning it out and replacing the battery, no more problems.

Only suggestion is to have your wheels balanced with them on.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Average Joe

I got a set a couple weeks ago. Had to modify my wheel liners a bit on the Sunseeker. Just finished a 1200 mile trip and couldn't be happier. I just screwed them on my existing extensions and away we went. FYI - the temperature feature doesn't actually report tire temperature since it's not inside the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #5

Here are my sensors. Look big don't they?
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

The centrifugal force that's exerted on the sensor and valve stem is along the axis of both and outward from the center of the wheel. The valve stem should have no problem handling that.

The metal stems is a good idea for peace of mind anyway.
oakprk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #7

Sent pics to TST and they said either the cap or flo thru would be acceptable. Basically, if the sensor does not extend beyond the center hub you should be good. In my case, I sent the flow thrus back to swap with the much smaller profile cap sensors. They are lighter weight also, but the transmitter is identical to the flo through. They told me the cap sensors can be used with a traditional rubber stem although I plan to upgrade stems to metal anyway. TST is an A plus company selling an American made product with stellar customer service and support. I don't mind screwing them offand on like a regular valve cap to put air in the tires. They do have an anti-theft device that comes with the sensors if you want to use it. I just plan to remove mine when in storage between trips. It stops them from transmitting anyway and preserves battery life, which averages about a year using full time. They are user replaceable too! Thanks for your comments but keep me coming for other users
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #8

I meant, keep the comments coming for other users
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have the 507 flow thru with metal valve stems...I had a previous system with the regular sensors...found them to be a pita removing/reinstalling for airing the tires up or down.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

I have them on the trailer ran them in snow and at 70-75 no problem, they just do not seem to like the valve stems on the truck as they will not seal.

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Maggie the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #11

Valve cap TST (not flow-thru) have served us well. Occasionally an issue in getting them screwed on well-slight leaks; So we take them off in storage. New metal valve stems coming in the next month--along with exchanging the C-loads for D-loads should take care of the slight leakage.
BTW, ours Are good at measuring temperature--an important factor, along with pressure, when we're running. I can even tell which side the sun is shining on our tires by the increased temp difference...or by looking out the window.
Giftpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #12

gift pony,

Thanks for posting your comment, and welcome to the forum....I noticed this was one of your first posts. The temp function will be very helpful. I'm waiting on my cap sensors before installing and balancing the tires. Should arrive next week.
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #13

Hi,

I have about 8,000 mostly high speed (60-62 mph) on mine -- on a 2014 Silverback 33RL. I added a small ethafoam collar around each of the flexible valve stems (right under the sensor), to minimize flex, and the hammering that would eventually fatigue or damage them from hitting bumps and expansion joints. So far no problems, although when I get new tires I will get metal stems and ditch the protective collars.

I know the temperature reading is not inside the tire, but it is an indicator of what's going on, which I feel is a great benefit. Like another poster, my system even detects the solar warming effect on the sunny side of the trailer.

I will say that when I start up in the morning, they read 6-7 pounds low from what I know the cold temperature really is. The readings then gradually rise to reflect actual temperature.

Great peace of mind...

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #14

When using the TST systems your suppose to have the metal valve stems. To prevent any flexing. I started out with rubber stems and noticed black marks on the rims from flexing of the stems. When I put on the metal stems that resolve the stem flexing issue. I have been using the TST for 4 years now. Great system and would highly recommend for the piece of mind.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #15

I would also think that if you have metal stems it would be better at transferring heat to the sensor to get higher temp readings. The rubber stems probably absorb some of the heat, thus showing lower temps than actually inside the tire. Of course, hanging outside the rim is going to naturally give you a lower temp that actual inside tire temp.
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #16

I have used them on two different trailers and this is what I found. My first trailer had metal stems - no problems. The second trailer I asked the dealer to install metal stems. They installed brass stems with rubber bases. On my first trip, after about 60 miles the alarm went off. I was losing pressure in two of the tires. Blew them up, traveled down the road a ways further and the same thing happened. I began to suspect the sensor weight on the rubber bases. I removed the sensors and completed my trip with no more problems. When I got home I took my tires to a tire shop and had the stems replaced with all metal ones. Now I thought I was safe. Got ready for my next trip and checked the tire pressure before leaving and one tire was low. I took the tire off and checked it with soapy water and it was leaking around the stem. Took it back to the tire shop and when they tore it down they discovered the man that installed them had forgotten to tighten the nut. Put the sensors back on. This was last May, no more problems. The moral of this story is, use all metal valves!
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolin View Post
Sent pics to TST and they said either the cap or flo thru would be acceptable. Basically, if the sensor does not extend beyond the center hub you should be good. In my case, I sent the flow thrus back to swap with the much smaller profile cap sensors. They are lighter weight also, but the transmitter is identical to the flo through. They told me the cap sensors can be used with a traditional rubber stem although I plan to upgrade stems to metal anyway. TST is an A plus company selling an American made product with stellar customer service and support. I don't mind screwing them offand on like a regular valve cap to put air in the tires. They do have an anti-theft device that comes with the sensors if you want to use it. I just plan to remove mine when in storage between trips. It stops them from transmitting anyway and preserves battery life, which averages about a year using full time. They are user replaceable too! Thanks for your comments but keep me coming for other users
You and I think alike my friend.

I take note of the metal stem comments but ultimately I have no problem treating the sensors like a typical valve cap which I have to remove to put air in the tire.

I too will have metal stems put in when I replace my China bombs.

Thanks everyone for the comments as they helped me also.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #18

We are not happy with the TST system at all. We have had leaking tires since we put them on. First they were too loose, then too tight. Difficult to find the right position on the sensors. It takes forever for the controller to find all the sensors and this morning after 10 minutes we gave up. The readings are not consistent. First a tire is low, later it is higher, (more than the daytime heating increase, like 20 - 30 psi higher), then that tire is ok and it is another tire. When we took the rv to Les Schwab tire center, one sensor was too loose and we had lost air. The tightened and checked all the other tires and filled them to 80 psi. Rechecked today and all tires are at 80 psi even though the controller is saying one is at 65 and is not even reading one of the other. We would send back for credit if we could, but we are beyond our 30 day return time and did not keep all the original packaging. Just been a pain and not worth it. Will have Les Schwab check the pressures before we head out each time.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenatchee Willie View Post
We are not happy with the TST system at all. We have had leaking tires since we put them on. First they were too loose, then too tight. Difficult to find the right position on the sensors. It takes forever for the controller to find all the sensors and this morning after 10 minutes we gave up. The readings are not consistent. First a tire is low, later it is higher, (more than the daytime heating increase, like 20 - 30 psi higher), then that tire is ok and it is another tire. When we took the rv to Les Schwab tire center, one sensor was too loose and we had lost air. The tightened and checked all the other tires and filled them to 80 psi. Rechecked today and all tires are at 80 psi even though the controller is saying one is at 65 and is not even reading one of the other. We would send back for credit if we could, but we are beyond our 30 day return time and did not keep all the original packaging. Just been a pain and not worth it. Will have Les Schwab check the pressures before we head out each time.
I found the sensors very easy to install. Just tighten them up like a valve cap and tighten the setscrew. How could a sensor be too tight? All six of my sensors work perfectly and show stable pressures. It sounds like something is wrong with the controller. I would contact TST and let them know about your situation. I bet they would honor their warranty.
oakprk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #20

Received the cap version sensors last week and took them about 3 hours away overnighted and returned. Like others said you can tell which side the sun was on before departing. I think they are sensitive enough to also tell if a side wind is present how much additional heat is in the downwind tires which was about 3-4 degree difference but it showed up both directions on the downwind side. Originally thought I was imagining this but the truck was showing the same indication just not as much heat. From the start the outside temp and tire temp were at the most 10 degrees different and pressure went up about 8 psi. more than when I departed on TV and TT. Bottom line, I like, I like, I really like these monitors. I got the best relaxing drive I've had since realizing I also needed to keep a close eye on tires too, great, thinking yikes what else do I have to watch and do I really want to keep doing it. Absolutely one of the best purchases I have made in a long time.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote