Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #21

I am so surprised to hear that people hate the OEM tires so much and will swap them out at delivery.

I will have to read more about this here on the forum.

My old pop up had a blow out this July but that was my fault. They were coming on 10 years old and I was ready to swap them after the season. I learned later that 5 years or so is the correct age to change them and not 10 years. I had a set of Carlyle tires on the pop up.

I have no idea what I am getting on the new pop until it comes. I will definitely read more about it.

I am not liking the fact that I may have to buy 5 new tires for a brand new rig.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #22

Your pop up may not ship with such heavily loaded tires, check them and see.
The TT we've ordered will have the cheapest tires FR could buy loaded to near rated capacity.

I'll spend $252 AR (+ mount & balance) to get a better brand in a load range with extra capacity that will help as they age.

The new ones I take off will probably bring $100 or so on CL and will still be suitable for someone with a lighter trailer.

Easy decision for me as I won't be worrying so much while we tow.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #23

Maxxis M8008 tires

I was able to buy Maxxis M8008 D rated tires manufactured in 2014. Our DT dealer couldn't get 2014, so I went to another tire dealer. Glad I did, price was better and got roadside warranty.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #24
Jr. member & newbie

To Quote OFFROAD 3 posts back: "The GY Marathons I just received from DTD were all 3-4 mo old. I think if you buy a popular brand from a large retailer your more likely to get fresher tires. "

Now why did you have to go and say that? Many a 20 page debate has been started on the internet forums with that kind of comment.

I conducted my due diligence when I bought my Maxxis tires last summer. GY Marathons and Maxxis seemed to be the most popular, at least among the TT crowd, but I did not find a clear winner on the forums. I chose Maxxis because I gave up on Goodyear many years ago after learning the hard way they were incapable of manufacturing a round tire. Even the Goodyear dealers in my town keep other brands of trailer tires in stock and have to special order the marathons. However, a lot of RV'rs run them so I assume they are better now, but I just couldn't go back.

I'm glad you were able to get a set that fresh and hope they give you good and safe service.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
...I chose Maxxis because I gave up on Goodyear many years ago after learning the hard way they were incapable of manufacturing a round tire...
Having run GY Marathons for over 37 yrs and putting them on 4 rv trailers and at least 12 racecar trailers, I've never had a problem of any kind. So your experience with "out of round GY's" must have been before 1977.

I have to take that back, the tread literally fell off 2 tires on our enclosed racecar trailer that were over 10 yrs old due to sitting on clay for 6 yrs, but they still had 40# air in them.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #26
Jr. member & newbie

It was actually 1985. Ordered a new Blazer and it came with 3 out-of-round GY tires. Took it to the local GY dealer and he literally installed every AT tire he had in stock and none met GY's run-out tolerance. He admitted they had a lot of problem with that with their tires. I traded them the next day for a set of Michelin tires.

Clearly they make better trailer tires now, else-wise there wouldn't be so many folks running them on TT's. And frankly, I suspect the reason GY dealers in my town carry the other cheaper brands of trailer tires is because most of the demand here is for utility trailers.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Now why did you have to go and say that? Many a 20 page debate has been started on the internet forums with that kind of comment.
Wasn't trying to start a big tire debate, just trying to help those looking find fresher produced tires.

I considered Maxxis too, but couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Marathons.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #28
Jr. member & newbie

In a few days we leave for Western NC and 6 nights camped between a small fishing lake and a creek, and 7 miles "..off the main road..." as we say in the South. I plan to build a campfire next to the creek, drag up my favorite chair, and pontificate on the error of my ways. (actually I was planning to do this before all this tire nonsense came up).

Happy Trails !
Old 08-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
Thanks for the info. Discount tire was who I was dealing with locally, they could not compete with the eBay discount, but they did work with me on the price. I would have to have paid to ship back the Maxxis tires and pay someone to mount the tires if I bought them online, so taking everything into account, my local dealer came close to the eBay deal. So I stayed with my dealer and I have someone local to handle the tire warranty if needed.
Edited: oldcoot will be pleased, I am going with Marathon LR D's.
Got my new Marathons installed today, dot dates of 1414 1nd 1514. Installer said one other of my old tires had strange markings in the same area of the sidewall as the one that was leeking. He said it was not cuts, but more like cracks starting. One year old tires should not have been doing that, but then c-rated tires did not provide much margin for the weight of my 8528RSWS. I think I got them off my rv just in time!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #30

Quote:
I think I got them off my rv just in time!
Glad you did, and hope the new one's serve you well.

Are some owners getting a refund for the OEM tires in general, or only if they have had issues?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post

Are some owners getting a refund for the OEM tires in general, or only if they have had issues?
I sprayed soap on the tire and sent pics of the leeking sidewall to FR. Still waiting on feedback.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #32

I just had Discount Tire pull the Trail Express off and install the M8008 LRDs. I didn't get the spare done yet, but that'll be soon. My Trail Express tires had probably close to 5K on them with a TST pressure and temp sensor on for the last couple of years.

I could have probably got another year out of them, but they were almost at load capacity and a blow out could have done a lot more expensive damage than the cost of the new tires. And from reading this and a few other forums, when one goes, it's like a signal for the rest to start popping.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #33
Site Team

Glad you caught it. My 2013 5er had TE tires dated April 2012. Bought the unit in May 2013. They lasted til July 2014. Boom! Get you some GY marathons or maxxis in next higher load range. I know its $$$ but peace of mind is priceless.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post

When I had my blow out I called Lionheart, They had the nerve to ask me to send it to them before they would give me a new tire. I just threw it away and gave the other three to the dealer at GY in Lumberton NC. and had them all replaced, I was on my way to Florida.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #35

Well. I been thinking long and hard...I finally did it today. I couldn't pass up the price. Ordered my 8 ply marathons today. Discount tire said mount and balance was $64... That's not much more than the tax plus the money I saved on the tires... I actually wanted m8008 Maxxis, they were another 100+. I ready about the old Maxxis tires being shipped to customers...that scared me away.

Wish me luck. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408405406.600045.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	590.7 KB
ID:	60871

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #36

Quote:
I sprayed soap on the tire and sent pics of the leeking sidewall to FR. Still waiting on feedback.
The jpeg was good enough proof, FR authorized the warranty replacement so the check is in the mail. That will help a little to offset the cost of my new Marathons.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #37

Got my new tires in today... All made the same week of 2014. Happy for now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tire