Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Original Trail Express tire leaking through sidewall

Returned home from the Goshen Rally on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning I noticed the left rear tire was low. Took it off, took it to tire dealer and they reported it was leaking on the inner sidewall in three places. I took a picture of the bubbles and sent them to my RV dealer service dept so he could forward them to FR to see what they would do since the tires are less than a year old. I ordered a set of Maxxis LRD's. I was planning on replacing my tires next spring, but was forced into doing it sooner.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Darn the bad luck!
Glad you made it home tho!

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

Get rid of those TrailExpress as soon as possible. I got about 3000 miles out of mine before I had a triple blowout.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Get rid of those TrailExpress as soon as possible. I got about 3000 miles out of mine before I had a triple blowout.
Yep, Maxxis LRD's on order to replace the LRC's I have maybe 4K miles on the original tires and less than 1 year old.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Just left a new Trail Express at the GY dealer Sat. It was 2 yrs old and had never touched the ground. It went in the dump after I inserted a knife in the sidewall and cut it about an inch. GY tech looked at me like I had the measles and just shook his head.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

Makes me feel better about ordering a set of LR-D Marathons for a trailer that hasn't even been built yet.

Just hoping it'll make the 100 miles home from the dealer without the cheap OEM tires damaging our new TT before I can get them swapped out.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #7

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
Yep, Maxxis LRD's on order to replace the LRC's I have maybe 4K miles on the original tires and less than 1 year old.
Well my new Maxxis tires arrived, but I'm not happy. The date code is 2913, thrid week of July 2013. That puts them over a year old and according to the dealer, he does no gave access to Maxxis tires manufactured in 2014. Now I have to decide if I want to accept the Maxxis or over pay for Marathons manfactured in 2014. The dealer will forgo return shipping on the Maxxis if I pay the same price for the Marathons. He has my deposit so I am somewhat at his mercy, not a lot of bargining power on my part; Decisions Decisions.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
Well my new Maxxis tires arrived, but I'm not happy. The date code is 2913, thrid week of July 2013. That puts them over a year old and according to the dealer, he does no gave access to Maxxis tires manufactured in 2014. Now I have to decide if I want to accept the Maxxis or over pay for Marathons manfactured in 2014. The dealer will forgo return shipping on the Maxxis if I pay the same price for the Marathons. He has my deposit so I am somewhat at his mercy, not a lot of bargining power on my part; Decisions Decisions.
Just received an 'official' response from Maxxis on my submitted question about fresh tires. July 2013 is the last manufactured date on the tires I want. Maxxis is not looking so favorable any more !
Old 08-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #9

Not sure if you saw my post here but you can get GY Marathon 225/75-15 Load Range D tires from Discounttiredirect on eBay for $312.00 shipped. You must use the eBay coupon to take $100 off the price shown during checkout.

At the time I ordered there was also a $60 mail in rebate from GY that I believe has since expired. The one's I received were date codes 1414, 1414, 1514 and 2014
Old 08-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

If it were me, it's GY Marathons only.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Not sure if you saw my post here but you can get GY Marathon 225/75-15 Load Range D tires from Discounttiredirect on eBay for $312.00 shipped. You must use the eBay coupon to take $100 off the price shown during checkout.

At the time I ordered there was also a $60 mail in rebate from GY that I believe has since expired. The one's I received were date codes 1414, 1414, 1514 and 2014
Thanks for the info. Discount tire was who I was dealing with locally, they could not compete with the eBay discount, but they did work with me on the price. I would have to have paid to ship back the Maxxis tires and pay someone to mount the tires if I bought them online, so taking everything into account, my local dealer came close to the eBay deal. So I stayed with my dealer and I have someone local to handle the tire warranty if needed.
Edited: oldcoot will be pleased, I am going with Marathon LR D's.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #12

Your welcome, I don't have DT locally so have been buying all our tires from either DTD or Tirerack depending on who has the best deal at the time.

Had planned on replacing the tires on the TT we have on order early next year, as it will probably get delivered late enough we won't get many trips on it this season.

With all the horror stories I read on the OEM tires FR puts on these rigs, I went ahead and ordered when I found the DTD eBay deal. I just have them mounted and balanced at a local shop, and forgo any road hazard coverage.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #13

Hey, OldCoot; it was great to meet face to face and see your great ideas in person at Goshen this year. We're looking forward to 2015.
Our OEM tires still seem okay (46 days on them since we got our '14 Flagstaff 8528IKWS--5th) and I'm monitoring them with a TST system; but I worry.
I notice you, too, say GY Marathons. Since we're in NC, too; is there one dealer you have found better than another- for purchase, mounting, and balancing? Thanks.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Leaf Piners View Post
Hey, OldCoot; it was great to meet face to face and see your great ideas in person at Goshen this year. We're looking forward to 2015.
Our OEM tires still seem okay (46 days on them since we got our '14 Flagstaff 8528IKWS--5th) and I'm monitoring them with a TST system; but I worry.
I notice you, too, say GY Marathons. Since we're in NC, too; is there one dealer you have found better than another- for purchase, mounting, and balancing? Thanks.
Great to meet you and your lovely wife also. I use the GY store @ 910 Concord Parkway North, Concord, NC. It's right by Northern and Lowes.
Michael Howery is the mgr and is a square shooter.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
being in Durham you have many choices. I got mine in Lumberton being that is where my blow out happened. I used Black tires GY dealer they are all over NC and very good. They wouldn't even give me a choice, it was Marathons D ranged balanced or go some where else......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #16

Ours started losing air on the way back from Goshen. Here is where we were when one of them blew out. Taking the rig to the GY dealer tomorrow @7:00AM for new shoes. Not even going to us the old spare. That rim gets a new shoe too. We drove off the highway to change the flat so I had to take this picture from Google maps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	60611  
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #17
NELA

Quote:
Well *finally* I see someone with our exact same 5er!

Lotta RKs floating around, but the IK's (especially in a 2014) seems a bit rare 'round here.

We're headed for NC early in the morning! She's loaded, hitched, tug pull checked, hitch bar padlocked for the night, ready to roll!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #18

I have looked for tires for our 5er. Everyone have had good and bad reviews. I've looked at most of the tires that everyone talk about but could not seem to get them in the size that our camper required. The camper originally came with DURO tires. we initially had trouble with them getting tennis ball sized bubbles on them. I think there was a bad batch. Duro replaced all of the tires. I had same issue with one and determined that I needed a heavier load bearing tire. Researched everything and just wasn't sure on what to settle with. I went with the DURO tires with a heavier load rating. I figured that the other DURO tires basically held up. So, I figured that I had some experience with and knowledge about them. They have done great. I think if you take care of them, keep an eye on them, properly keep them inflated to correct PSI then they should holdup. It is funny to hear people mention China bombs. I would say that most everything they own is from China. I have seen another camper same as mine with truck tires on it. Anyone had any luck doing that. Do you go with same size or bigger. I researched it a little and seemed as though the trucks tires didn't have as much weight carrying load capacity as did the ST trailer tires.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #19
Jr. member & newbie

We ordered a 2014 FR Cherokee TT last spring and received in April '13 with the 5 "Vail" brand tires. Last thing the dealer said to me as we pulled out of the lot was to watch out for those tires - they are cheap.

4 weeks later I bought 5 new Maxxis tires of the next higher load rating (now running 80% of capacity instead of 97% of capacity). I shopped the internet but could get about same price from my regular independent tire guy. I asked him to check age of the tires in the warehouse and all were about 18-24 months old.

Corresponded with Maxxis twice on this issue, big investment for something this old, etc. They replied their is no industry standard for "fresh" tire inventory and they consider anything in the 1-2 year range to be "fresh", and better than the age you would receive from other brands. However, also pointed out that they are warranted for 6 years from date of manufacture.

Went ahead and ordered them and what I got was 18 months old. Had them balanced and have put 6K miles on them in 18 months with no problems. I keep them covered when not in use.

I'm not sure if you can get fresher tires from another brand. From what I can find, just about all of them are made in China and shipped in huge lots.....which is where the age comes from.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
I asked him to check age of the tires in the warehouse and all were about 18-24 months old.

I'm not sure if you can get fresher tires from another brand. From what I can find, just about all of them are made in China and shipped in huge lots.....which is where the age comes from.
The GY Marathons I just received from DTD were all 3-4 mo old. I think if you buy a popular brand from a large retailer your more likely to get fresher tires.

Tags
leak, tire