Old 04-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
IF the turbo hose has become disconnected, you may have bigger issues than overheating. You will be feeding unfiltered air into your diesel engine and that can destroy it in a big hurry. ASK ME HOW I KNOW--NO DON'T!!!!

Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
Hello Everyone,

Here's an update to our story....

We washed the radiator down with simple green and water and left Alpine driving to Odessa where we had an appointment to get it checked out at a Freightliner service shop.

The wash job made a tremendous improvement on the way she ran!!!
So obviously, that was PART of our problem.

However, the engine was still running hot.
We showed up at the Freightliner shop the next morning and they forgot we were coming! after two hours of waiting around, they told us they just were not going to be able to get us in that day! Then they told us they really don't work on RV's....they are primarily a TRUCK repair facility.

Well, I quickly bowed out and complemented them for doing such great business with Big Trucks and even told them I was glad they were doing such good business.
They referred me to a Freightliner shop in Lubbuck, Texas that works on RV's.

We left and drove one block away to a Cummins Shop.

We only waited for about an hour when they took us into the shop and started working on it.

They hooked up a computer and started checking the codes. After some time, they discovered the culprit.

It was a CAC HOSE CLAMP!!!!!!

The spring loaded hose clamp busted loose. The mechanic brought it to me and explained what happened. He replaced it and then rechecked everything.
They even took us out on the highway for a test drive.

We were there about three and half hours total. The bill shows the clamp cost $15.10 and the labor was $448.00

We joined the Cummins Power Club on the spot and they gave us a discount on the entire bill. The Power Club membership is $19.95 a year and when they applied the discount for being a member the bill dropped to $418.64.

The cost of the membership already saved us money!!

So, here's my take on this whole affair...
1. Make sure your radiator is clean.
2. Talk to the Freightliner shop and ask them if they work on RV's.
3. Find a Cummins shop to do work on your Cummins Engine.
4. Join Cummins Power Club.
5. Learn as much as you can from the pro's on this was very helpful!!! and we appreciate everything and all your help!!!!!

The RIG runs great now!!!! not overheating, not running hot, gets great gas mileage, and drives like its supposed to.

We took Blue Ox up on their offer to put a base plate on our new car so we are now in Pender, NE where they are building and installing a new base plate for free!!!

Thanks everyone for all your help and guidance!!!

retiredchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
Chief, that's awesome. So glad you were able to get it resolved and it was a quick and simple fix. Congrats,, go enjoy!

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, 4x4 SRW. B&W turnover with extender. 2015 CC Silverback 29RE, fitted with Reese Goose Box. Amateur Extra Class K5TS, 2016 nights camped 16
Davidg is offline   Reply With Quote