Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #31
The fan clutch failed the spin down test when hot. Also, it's making noise now that I know what to listen for. Sort of like a belt slipping, smells like new brakes. I'm going to get it in the shop ASAP rather than press my luck. Thanks to all for saving me time, I think the mechanic can safely assume that fan clutch is shot and maybe pre-order the part before I get there. I'll fill you all in here when it's fixed.

2009 FR Berkshire 390BH
jbramhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #32
Glad you learned something from all the give and take. If you want humor reseach this subject on youtube. It shows "the resident idiot" putting rolled up newspaper into spinning fan blades, to try and test the clutch fan. The method I related to you, seems much safer. Now, the next time someone talks about overheating issues, like the one you expierenced, you will be able to explain the test procedure, and know why and how a clutch fan works.
Be well and happy RVing.

Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #33
I'm camping for the first time since getting the 390 BH back from the shop after 3 weeks in. Let me just start by saying the service contract I bought with the used coach was some of the best money I ever spent! $6,000 in covered repairs later, here's what was addressed:

Top side engine hatch opened from the bedroom (those of you who know, this is not easy)
Fan clutch replaced
Dash AC compressor replaced (it seized up)
Dash AC condenser/dryer replaced (also shot)
Drive belt replaced (seized AC compressor must have caused the belt to break, which didn't help my cooling problem!)
All coach leveling and slide hydraulic lines replaced (original ones were "sweating" fluid, indicating impending failure)

So, in keeping with my original post, the fan clutch was in fact bad. I'll never really know why I was getting intermittent cooling from it as opposed to a full failure, but at least my wife and I got a couple of relatively problem free trips in during April and May before we dropped it at the shop. I just towed my car with the whole family to Pittsburgh from the Jersey Shore in 90 degree heat, and the engine cooling and dash AC are solid.

2009 FR Berkshire 390BH
jbramhall is offline   Reply With Quote