Old 05-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #1

P-rated tires vs LT-rated tires for TV

I have seen some posts on the forum about not recommending a "P"-rated tire for a TV pulling a travel trailer. I recently purchased some "P" rated Michelin's LTX M/S2, maximum 44PSI and 1,060lb Max Load not knowing about the type of tire I should use pulling a TT. Will I be okay pulling a 5,000lb TT on "P"-rated tires or will it be unsafe and need to purchase LT tires? By the way, my tire size is P265/65R17. Thanks!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #2

It's not unsafe so long as you don't cross over the load rating on your tires, but it's unsteady feeling. P rated tires have a softer, more compliant sidewall so that they ride nice, but that same sidewall and lower pressure it brings the and to make it feel wallowly, like the rear end is moving around. The LTX is basically an LT in a P package from what I'm reading.

Looking at the Michelin site I think you'll be ok, and the max load is actually 2125@44PSI. Depends on your vehicle weight and actual tongue weight.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Depends on your vehicle weight and actual tongue weight.
And also what you drive and how you normally drive it.

I pull a fairly light trailer with a smaller SUV. I normally run P series inflated to 35 PSI on the rear. I recently replaced the back with XL rated P series (51 PSI max cold). I ran 45 PSI while towing and it made a difference (slightly better handling and a little better mileage). I just brought them back down to 35 PSI after I was done towing and I can't tell the difference from stock.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHybrid2B View Post
I have seen some posts on the forum about not recommending a "P"-rated tire for a TV pulling a travel trailer. I recently purchased some "P" rated Michelin's LTX M/S2, maximum 44PSI and 1,060lb Max Load not knowing about the type of tire I should use pulling a TT. Will I be okay pulling a 5,000lb TT on "P"-rated tires or will it be unsafe and need to purchase LT tires? By the way, my tire size is P265/65R17. Thanks!
As long as you are using any tire with a P rating, you will have a squirmy feeling on the rear end. They will no doubt carry the load, but in an emergency situation like having to swerve to miss something, they could possibly aggravate the situation. LT LR D or LR E tires have a much stiffer sidewall and require a higher air pressure and eliminates the rear end squirm. JMO.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

When looking at max load of LT vs. P type tires this thread offers insight Tire Load Index; Interesting
Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

Look at the tire placard on the driver side door pillar and that is the recommended tire. And that is the size and type that is safe for up to the maximum load of the vehicle.

P tires can be a somewhat squirmy with a trailer on the back, but that depends on the size of the trailer and if they are SL or XL rated.

MY 2013 Silverado came with SL rated P-rated 275x55 20 tires. I replaced them the first month with a AT tire, same size, P-rated but XL load rating. The SL tires were squirmy, but the XL I have on there now are not squirmy even with a 50 mph cross wind while traveling at about 70 mph on I70.

XL rating also give you a higher load range on the tire and a rougher ride, but not terrible.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

While there is "wiggle room" in the ST vs LT tire debate, the P vs LT discussion is more clear cut.

LT Vs. P Tire Rating | eHow

LT Tires vs. Passenger Tires - Tire Talk & Improve Vehicle Performance By Colin | Tire Rack

Difference Between LT and P Tires | Difference Between | LT vs P Tires

I would never consider towing anything with a P rated tire; leave them for the "Show Boats".

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #8

Again, there's a big difference between 500 lb TW and 1200 lbs. for my application XL was a better choice since it allows me to keep the ride quality when not towing and stiffen it up when needed. At over 800 lbs I would agree with you.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

In my case, at the size tire the vehicle came equipped with, XL was the only option to go (that I could find). And the max weight of the trailer is a little over 3K, but heaviest it has been or ever will be is around 2800. (I do have a heavy tongue weight of around 500 lbs.)

But I do have to ask, if P-tires are so terrible, what do all those small SUVs, Minivans, etc., towing trailers, well within their tow and load limits do, since there are no LT tires in their size?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

No doubt they have more than a few white knuckle experiences if they have to swerve. As long as I tow anything, I will keep my LT LR E tires regardless of the ride. When I'm not towing, I let the tires down to 35 front, 30 rear and it rides just fine. Towing, 65 front & rear on truck and trailer.

Tags
tire, tires