Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #1

P-rated tires vs LT-rated tires for TV

I have seen some posts on the forum about not recommending a "P"-rated tire for a TV pulling a travel trailer. I recently purchased some "P" rated Michelin's LTX M/S2, maximum 44PSI and 1,060lb Max Load not knowing about the type of tire I should use pulling a TT. Will I be okay pulling a 5,000lb TT on "P"-rated tires or will it be unsafe and need to purchase LT tires? By the way, my tire size is P265/65R17. Thanks!
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #2

It's not unsafe so long as you don't cross over the load rating on your tires, but it's unsteady feeling. P rated tires have a softer, more compliant sidewall so that they ride nice, but that same sidewall and lower pressure it brings the and to make it feel wallowly, like the rear end is moving around. The LTX is basically an LT in a P package from what I'm reading.

Looking at the Michelin site I think you'll be ok, and the max load is actually 2125@44PSI. Depends on your vehicle weight and actual tongue weight.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Depends on your vehicle weight and actual tongue weight.
And also what you drive and how you normally drive it.

I pull a fairly light trailer with a smaller SUV. I normally run P series inflated to 35 PSI on the rear. I recently replaced the back with XL rated P series (51 PSI max cold). I ran 45 PSI while towing and it made a difference (slightly better handling and a little better mileage). I just brought them back down to 35 PSI after I was done towing and I can't tell the difference from stock.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHybrid2B View Post
I have seen some posts on the forum about not recommending a "P"-rated tire for a TV pulling a travel trailer. I recently purchased some "P" rated Michelin's LTX M/S2, maximum 44PSI and 1,060lb Max Load not knowing about the type of tire I should use pulling a TT. Will I be okay pulling a 5,000lb TT on "P"-rated tires or will it be unsafe and need to purchase LT tires? By the way, my tire size is P265/65R17. Thanks!
As long as you are using any tire with a P rating, you will have a squirmy feeling on the rear end. They will no doubt carry the load, but in an emergency situation like having to swerve to miss something, they could possibly aggravate the situation. LT LR D or LR E tires have a much stiffer sidewall and require a higher air pressure and eliminates the rear end squirm. JMO.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #5

When looking at max load of LT vs. P type tires this thread offers insight http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-18521.html
Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #6

Look at the tire placard on the driver side door pillar and that is the recommended tire. And that is the size and type that is safe for up to the maximum load of the vehicle.

P tires can be a somewhat squirmy with a trailer on the back, but that depends on the size of the trailer and if they are SL or XL rated.

MY 2013 Silverado came with SL rated P-rated 275x55 20 tires. I replaced them the first month with a AT tire, same size, P-rated but XL load rating. The SL tires were squirmy, but the XL I have on there now are not squirmy even with a 50 mph cross wind while traveling at about 70 mph on I70.

XL rating also give you a higher load range on the tire and a rougher ride, but not terrible.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

While there is "wiggle room" in the ST vs LT tire debate, the P vs LT discussion is more clear cut.

LT Vs. P Tire Rating | eHow

LT Tires vs. Passenger Tires - Tire Talk & Improve Vehicle Performance By Colin | Tire Rack

Difference Between LT and P Tires | Difference Between | LT vs P Tires

I would never consider towing anything with a P rated tire; leave them for the "Show Boats".
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #8

Again, there's a big difference between 500 lb TW and 1200 lbs. for my application XL was a better choice since it allows me to keep the ride quality when not towing and stiffen it up when needed. At over 800 lbs I would agree with you.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #9

In my case, at the size tire the vehicle came equipped with, XL was the only option to go (that I could find). And the max weight of the trailer is a little over 3K, but heaviest it has been or ever will be is around 2800. (I do have a heavy tongue weight of around 500 lbs.)

But I do have to ask, if P-tires are so terrible, what do all those small SUVs, Minivans, etc., towing trailers, well within their tow and load limits do, since there are no LT tires in their size?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

No doubt they have more than a few white knuckle experiences if they have to swerve. As long as I tow anything, I will keep my LT LR E tires regardless of the ride. When I'm not towing, I let the tires down to 35 front, 30 rear and it rides just fine. Towing, 65 front & rear on truck and trailer.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #11

With properly set up hitch and sway control with the right tire pressure and I really haven't had any issues. Nothing I'd describe as "soft". Running these tires with about 45 lbs does seen to feel a little more solid however. I'm only pulling 22' or so at about 4500 lbs and 475 ish TW. Longer rigs would probable see more difference.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
Site Team

I just replace the original P275x65R18 Michelin ltx AS's on my 08 tundra. I towed TT and 5th wheels from 4500 - 9000 pounds all over the country with zero problem. The had 47,000 miles and decent tread left. I only replaced them because of age. Started showing cracks in sidewalls after 6 years. I bought Michelin lt275x65 18E AT. Love the look and peace of mind of having LT tires tho my P's performed well.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #13

This thread has me curious now. I have a 2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab. The tires on it are Firestone Destination LE tires. I'm trying to figure out if the LE is in between P & LT or something else. Load rating is 2469 per tire and max pressure of 44 psi. I am pulling an Avenger ATI 27bbs. Tongue wt over 600 lbs & TT weight just under 8000 lbs. I don't have any problems with my tires while towing so I think I am fine with them.

Does anyone have any insight?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong View Post
This thread has me curious now. I have a 2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab. The tires on it are Firestone Destination LE tires. I'm trying to figure out if the LE is in between P & LT or something else. Load rating is 2469 per tire and max pressure of 44 psi. I am pulling an Avenger ATI 27bbs. Tongue wt over 600 lbs & TT weight just under 8000 lbs. I don't have any problems with my tires while towing so I think I am fine with them.

Look on your tires and see what ply rating they are.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I just replace the original P275x65R18 Michelin ltx AS's on my 08 tundra. I towed TT and 5th wheels from 4500 - 9000 pounds all over the country with zero problem. The had 47,000 miles and decent tread left. I only replaced them because of age. Started showing cracks in sidewalls after 6 years. I bought Michelin lt275x65 18E AT. Love the look and peace of mind of having LT tires tho my P's performed well.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app
X2 Same here
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
ARLO

tires

So much for discussion... P rated tires were designed for comfort and maybe for some casual towing short distances and not for long distance highway towing. Softer sidewall collapses and fosters more heat build up. This leads to a breakdown of the rubber compound. If you are doing any real towing, I strongly urge you to go with the heavier LT tire. you will quickly get used to the stiffer ride, better handling, better cornering, better tread life etc... As far as fuel economy goes, there should be no difference. The LT tire is stiffer and offers much less rolling resistance than the factory P rated "mush" tires. If you are worried about safety and performance, I feel there is really no choice but the LT's. We tow thousands of miles each year and have never had a problem with a blow out. I won't run with anything else.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #17

so rlocicero the manufactures are putting trucks on the road that the tires are going to blow if you load them to there max. In my case I do not have a choice but to run P tires as no one makes a tire in my size that is LT rated. So I guess I will not tow my trailer until someone comes up with an LT tire. I have also towed thousands of miles and not had a blowout does that prove that the P rated tires are ok?

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong View Post

If you mean the 265x65 18 stock tire size, then they are NOT LT, they are P-rated tires.
From what I have seen, on 1/2 ton pickups, the manufacturers are putting on P-rated tires (at least for GM and Ford and what I have seen on the lots).

However, in 18" tires, you do have a decent chance of finding LT tires, if you want.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #19
Canadian Member

We towed our Roo from the Toronto area to PEI and Nova Scotia last summer. Fully loaded, it runs about 5200# with a tongue weight around 560#. My F-150 has P-rated Bridgstone Dueller A/T Revo 2 tires and I had no issues at all on that trip. I keep them at 35 psi front and back as specified on the sticker on my door.

Does the F150 with the max. towing package come from the factory with LT tires or P? I bought it used and it had the current aftermarket tires on it. The previous owner towed a small 5er because it has the rails mounted in the bed.

If I were towing a 5er, I'd probably want LT tires, but for towing my Roo the P-rated tires seem to work just fine. When they are due to be replaced, I'll consider LT tires if they are available in my size, but I'd only switch if there isn't huge difference in price. What does it typically cost to upgrade from a P-rated tire to a LT-rated tire for the same size tire?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
So much for discussion... P rated tires were designed for comfort and maybe for some casual towing short distances and not for long distance highway towing. Softer sidewall collapses and fosters more heat build up. This leads to a breakdown of the rubber compound. If you are doing any real towing, I strongly urge you to go with the heavier LT tire. you will quickly get used to the stiffer ride, better handling, better cornering, better tread life etc... As far as fuel economy goes, there should be no difference. The LT tire is stiffer and offers much less rolling resistance than the factory P rated "mush" tires. If you are worried about safety and performance, I feel there is really no choice but the LT's. We tow thousands of miles each year and have never had a problem with a blow out. I won't run with anything else.
As someone else noted, you are saying the manufacturers are rating a vehicle for safely towing X-number of pounds, while loaded up to a maximum of X-number of pounds on tires that will not carry the load safely?

Wondering where all the lawsuits are; especially in this day-and-age of suing for any reason.

I do believe that the manufacturer has to pass Federal motor vehicle safety specs and a who lot of other safety requirements. I know my 2013 Silverado, with the Max towing package came with P-rated Goodyear LS (SL rated tires). I changed them to XL all-terrain tires due to the backroads I travel.)

I will add that if they had made a LT tire in my tire size (275x55 20), I would probably have purchased them, but not due to towing, but for the triple sidewall strength that gives me a stronger, harder to cut sidewall.

Would love to see some empirical proof that P-rated tires are basically unsafe to use for towing over long distances since there are a lot of people out there towing on P-rated tires on 1/2 ton pickups, small SUVs, Minivans, etc.

Tags
tire, tires