Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #11

Only driving 1/2 mile may not have been enough to re-seat the brake shoes either. I have found that with a trailer you have to bring the temps up on the shoes (usually doing a few heavy stops) and that will help. If that doesn't work for you then readjust the brakes.

1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #12

Re-Adjusted Brakes..

This morning I readjusted the brakes on all 4 wheels... It took quite a few clicks of the star wheel to tighten them up as the manual said.. I then backed them off until just a ever so slight drag was felt. Although the output of the brake controller is not where is was before the wheel bearing repack (4.0 vice previous setting of 2.5) I now have smooth and positive trailer braking.. I am sure this will change after a few miles are put on the newly adjusted brakes. Thanks to all who chimed in on my problem.. AND to anyone thinking about adjusting their brakes.. Go for it! It is very easy and doesn't take hardly any time at all once you do the first wheel and understand what must be done.. and to think I was going to take it to a shop and pay $$$ for it to be done.. UGH!

STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #13

2 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
New seals installed... am going to adjust the brakes this weekend..
Re-Adjusted Brakes..
This morning I readjusted the brakes on all 4 wheels... It took quite a few clicks of the star wheel to tighten them up as the manual said.. I then backed them off until just a ever so slight drag was felt. Although the output of the brake controller is not where is was before the wheel bearing repack (4.0 vice previous setting of 2.5) I now have smooth and positive trailer braking.. I am sure this will change after a few miles are put on the newly adjusted brakes. Thanks to all who chimed in on my problem.. AND to anyone thinking about adjusting their brakes.. Go for it! It is very easy and doesn't take hardly any time at all once you do the first wheel and understand what must be done.. and to think I was going to take it to a shop and pay $$$ for it to be done.. UGH!

1-What seals are you referring to? To get the back bearing out, don't you have to take the seal off to get to it? I usually (basically) destroy the seals getting them out so new seals go back on anyway.

2-I've never adjusted my brakes but would like to know how? And don't start asking what kind of brakes or axles do I have because I couldn't tell you. Is there a YouTube video out there to be seen?
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #14

Found these videos

Hey Adony, is this what you did?

This is other videos but these were probably the best ones.

Looks easy enough!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
You already paid for the (Service) when Hubs/ drums are removed for bearing/seal removal the brakes must be adjusted after hubs are reinstalled! The old seals will be replaced with New seals. You were only a 1 /2 mile from the repair shop,you didn't have to Pay agin! Youroo!!
Old 09-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
1-What seals are you referring to? To get the back bearing out, don't you have to take the seal off to get to it? I usually (basically) destroy the seals getting them out so new seals go back on anyway.

2-I've never adjusted my brakes but would like to know how? And don't start asking what kind of brakes or axles do I have because I couldn't tell you. Is there a YouTube video out there to be seen?
Hub seals are actually easy to pop out. Remove the nut and washer, spin just the nut back on and then slide the drum out until the nut contacts the bearing. With both hands on the drum at 9 and 3 o'clock slide the drum back some then slide the drum off popping the rear bearing and seal out, usually not even hurting the seal in case it needs to be reused.

Adjusting is easy, you can use a flat bladed screwdriver if you can get it an angle on it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, brakes, wheel