Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

Pay attention to your axles!!

Just wanted to share my story and I'll keep it quick. Long story short, blew a tire back in June on our way home from Disney. Repairs were made to camper and new Maxxis sneakers for the RV (tracer 3200bht). Fast forward to now. Made two trips, Hershey and Luray VA. I normally feel my tires before, during and after my trips. Check air pressure, etc. A friend who is a mechanic was behind me and said, "your trainer feel funny?" We were just about home, so felt safe enough to finish the ride. Once I got home we both noticed the wheel that blew, was wearing funny and had a slight "toe" to it.
We measured between both axles and found a 3/4" difference. Rear axle on driver side was back.
So, take it to a heavy duty spring shop in Richmond, they say I'm lucky because the centering pins on the axles sheared off!! That was causing the axle to "walk" back on the spring.
Needless to say, all fixed now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1477500729.087376.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	123931Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1477500745.853717.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	123932
They also went through all bearings, other components, checking everything.
So, be aware of your tires and tire wear.
Hope this helps others....

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Glad you found what you described before it caused more problems.

It is a shame the 'heavy duty spring shop' didn't do their due diligence in repairing your trailer correctly.

It appears they sledge hammered the axle back into place (see marks on axle saddle in photo # 1) and then instead of replacing the spring center bolt (which the head of the bolt is the centering pin) to keep it in position, they simply welded the the spring to the saddle and replaced the U-bolts.

I can understand doing this as an emergency repair to get you home from a long trip but if you took it there for a diagnosis and repair, this was not a very professional job IMHO.

Also... it takes a HUGE force to 'shear' off a center bolt head. Any possibility you hit a large pot hole or something else when the original tire blew? I realize if you did, the front axle 'should' have taken the brunt of the blow, but who knows?

How are the rest of the center pins? Did anyone check them?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStacey616 View Post
Needless to say, all fixed now.
I believe the Banjo Man has this one summed up nicely.

A "schlock" fix, at best!

Now you should go get it fixed correctly.

Yup! Pay attention to your axles!

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think they more than likely made a repair to the saddle with a plate welded on and it does not appear to welded to the spring. They did this most likely because if the center pin sheared, it probably destroyed the saddle also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Glad you found what you described before it caused more problems.

It is a shame the 'heavy duty spring shop' didn't do their due diligence in repairing your trailer correctly.
The shop is who diagnosed and fixed the issue. Great place, been in business for over 100years.

It appears they sledge hammered the axle back into place (see marks on axle saddle in photo # 1) and then instead of replacing the spring center bolt (which the head of the bolt is the centering pin) to keep it in position, they simply welded the the spring to the saddle and replaced the U-bolts.
They replaced the centering pin, at least that's what i was billed for and was told by the mechanic doing the work.

I can understand doing this as an emergency repair to get you home from a long trip but if you took it there for a diagnosis and repair, this was not a very professional job IMHO.

Also... it takes a HUGE force to 'shear' off a center bolt head. Any possibility you hit a large pot hole or something else when the original tire blew? I realize if you did, the front axle 'should' have taken the brunt of the blow, but who knows?
I don't remember, that's the issue. The mentioned that i must have made a turn into a pot hole to shear the pin, since that's what the pin is meant to do so you don't rip the shackle off the frame!!

How are the rest of the center pins? Did anyone check them?
They checked the front axle as well as checked the alignment and correct that one as well.

Overall, i'm very pleased with the work they did. I feel MUCH safer going down the road now. I was very nervous heading to the shop from my house knowing what the issue "could' be after diagnosis by my mechanic buddy.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Too old to be too smart

While I agree that that is an added plate (not the same amount of rust as the spring packs), the added thickness to one perch alone will slightly throw off suspension characteristics, and possibly contribute to even more alignment problems going forward.

As our pickin' compatriot alluded, this isn't a proper solution.

You have a wrong idea of the purpose the spring-pack center pin. It's not meant to be sheared off at all.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
D W

That is an "inordinate" amount of rust on both the suspension, and the axle. Should be no mystery what happened to the center bolt.
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:54 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I believe the shop did a proper repair. Everyone is making assumptions that are not justified. No frame shop that has been, or is, in business would only plate one side of an axle, although that is what we are seeing because of only one pic. I'm sure they equaled it out and aligned them after the fact. The only other alternative would have been a new axle. I would have accepted the repair, although I would have done the repair myself.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The repair looks just like the work my father and I did in 1978 rebuilding the axles on his trailer.
Good job getting the shop to repair this and for a friend seeing the problem.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
While I agree that that is an added plate (not the same amount of rust as the spring packs), the added thickness to one perch alone will slightly throw off suspension characteristics, and possibly contribute to even more alignment problems going forward.

As our pickin' compatriot alluded, this isn't a proper solution.

You have a wrong idea of the purpose the spring-pack center pin. It's not meant to be sheared off at all.

Pop

The added thickness means nothing as far as alignment. Think water heater full of water vs empty. That would cause the difference of the thickness of the plate in running level or not. Or even loading 2 cases of beer in the cupboard.

Also for the op. Then bolt holds the spring pack together and centres it on the perch somewhat. Measurement should be the rule for alignment though.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I believe the shop did a proper repair. Everyone is making assumptions that are not justified. No frame shop that has been, or is, in business would only plate one side of an axle, although that is what we are seeing because of only one pic. I'm sure they equaled it out and aligned them after the fact. The only other alternative would have been a new axle. I would have accepted the repair, although I would have done the repair myself.

Yes, you are correct. They did the same repair on the passenger side. Now, my buddy who is a master ase technician, would have done it for me, but we were at my house, about 60 miles from his, where he has all the tools. This shop was only a 12 mile ride from my house, which i took very slowly down i95.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
That is an "inordinate" amount of rust on both the suspension, and the axle. Should be no mystery what happened to the center bolt.
Super annoying seeing all that rust. I feel i should be back in New England!
What are you or the 'FROG's" doing to their components under the rigs? Wire brush and some black rustoleum paint?

Tags
axle