Old 03-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
FNG

Pick-up Bed Clearance for 5er

I need to increase the clearance between my pick-up bed side rails and 5er. I can raise my hitch up but I want to keep the 5er somewhat level while towing so I need to add some lift to the 5er but my springs are already on top of the axles. There are additional leaf spring mounting holes and a leaf spring hanger shackle that could be reversed (see attached pics) to gain a couple inches of lift. Has anyone tried this or see a down side to reversing the shackle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drop.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	25371   Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	25372  

Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You could drop down to the lower mounting hole on the shackle end but can't flip the link bars on the equalizer down as you propose...just won't work. You could look at a means to lengthen the equalizer mounting bracket the same amount as the shackle end. A fab shop can make a new, longer mount for you.

The other option would be to replace the equalizer with one that would mount the spring ends lower should you find one.

Is the truck stock suspension and tires?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You could drop down to the lower mounting hole on the shackle end but can't flip the link bars on the equalizer down as you propose...just won't work. You could look at a means to lengthen the equalizer mounting bracket the same amount as the shackle end. A fab shop can make a new, longer mount for you.

The other option would be to replace the equalizer with one that would mount the spring ends lower should you find one.

Is the truck stock suspension and tires?

Dave
Thanks Dave. I've got a 2011 F350 crew LWB Fx4 so it is stock but still a bit high. Additionally I have a trifold tonneau that I keep folded but in place when towing. This is the real clearance issue. Just need to get a couple inches of additional clearance to keep from rubbing the tonneau cover when turning tight on uneven terrain.
What is the problem with flipping the shackle link bars?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Thanks Dave. I've got a 2011 F350 crew LWB Fx4 so it is stock but still a bit high. Additionally I have a trifold tonneau that I keep folded but in place when towing. This is the real clearance issue. Just need to get a couple inches of additional clearance to keep from rubbing the tonneau cover when turning tight on uneven terrain.
The shackle links are made for tension, not compression. Flipping them so the springs push up on them puts them into compression, and they will likely bend over.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
I've never seen the equalizer links flipped down and I'm having trouble visualizing how it would work the same.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post

The shackle links are made for tension, not compression. Flipping them so the springs push up on them puts them into compression, and they will likely bend over.
OK, I see what you mean about the compression and possible bending over. I can picture the mess caused by the links folding going around a turn. Will probably go with small blocks and using the lower mounting holes.