Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
Current River Rat

BlakeB, I noticed you have a 2012 Grey Wolf. Just curious as to how much use on the unit. Just wondering how soon I should order a replacement for my 2012 GW. Amazing the cheap stuff they use on these units. You can bet I carry a bottle jack and blocks. Let us know what you end up with and how easy was the install.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
There really aren't any secrets to building an electric jack but some seem much more durable than others. I recommend you generally stay away from the really cheap no-name brands. Those often report that they strip their gears.

Good brands that I see mentioned are Barker, Husky, Atwood, Ultra Fab. I really like my Barker that I upgraded to when replacing the stock LCI (Not no-name but known to fail prematurely).
Other thoughts: Measure the diameter of the hole and match to the jack. These also have different choices in length - such as 18" or 24" - Some people want longer, especially if their truck is tall, but the greater height might cause issues (hybrid bed lowering). Some jacks have bigger head units so it needs to fit your situation - tailgate operation on pickups and SUVs could be impacted, etc.
Not necessarily true !! Could very easily be a no-name chinese (or other off-shore no-name). Here is a response from LCI customer service when I was trying to get parts to repair a two-year old LCI tongue jack:

Hi Allan,

We do not manufacture this jack and if it has a mechanical malfunction, it will need to be replaced. There are very few parts available for repair, top cover, the switches, the light bank, the lens and the foot pad are the only available parts.

The motor, bottom cover, leg and drive mechanism are all non-replaceable parts.

Thank you,

Rik Burgoyne

Lippert Components, Inc.

Kinro, Inc.

Customer Service Division #39

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #23
Another rat in the race

Never saw the need for an electric jack. If I cant be bothered to spend a few seconds to minute turning the jack handle I can't be bothered to go.

And if your towing you'll never be stranded use your scissor jack for your TV spare with a block or 2
Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
Never saw the need for an electric jack. If I cant be bothered to spend a few seconds to minute turning the jack handle I can't be bothered to go.

And if your towing you'll never be stranded use your scissor jack for your TV spare with a block or 2
You'll have to pry my electric jack from my dead, cold fingers
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bttravel View Post
BlakeB, I noticed you have a 2012 Grey Wolf. Just curious as to how much use on the unit. Just wondering how soon I should order a replacement for my 2012 GW. Amazing the cheap stuff they use on these units. You can bet I carry a bottle jack and blocks. Let us know what you end up with and how easy was the install.

We have used this trailer on 5 different 2day trips. (within an hour from home).

I did get the trailer unhitched. Instead of carrying around a bottle jack i'm going to stick to relying on my jack that came with my truck. I used it and it was super easy to get the trailer off the truck AND no need for more added weight by carrying another jack.

I just ordered the Husky 4500lb unit from Amazon.. Great price at $177.00 + free shipping. When it comes in i'll let you all know how it works compared to the LCI.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Not necessarily true !! Could very easily be a no-name chinese (or other off-shore no-name). Here is a response from LCI customer service when I was trying to get parts to repair a two-year old LCI tongue jack:

Hi Allan,

We do not manufacture this jack and if it has a mechanical malfunction, it will need to be replaced. There are very few parts available for repair, top cover, the switches, the light bank, the lens and the foot pad are the only available parts.

The motor, bottom cover, leg and drive mechanism are all non-replaceable parts.

Thank you,

Rik Burgoyne

Lippert Components, Inc.

Kinro, Inc.

Customer Service Division #39

...VTX-Al
I'm not surprised to read this, Al. LCI has an awful rep on the various trailer forums I visit. They seem to be throw away items. With Barker, any of the parts can be replaced. Here's their parts list.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
You'll have to pry my electric jack from my dead, cold fingers
X2 - one of the best items on a trailer. I didn't know what I was missing until I got one. Love it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #28

Quote:

These Grey Wolf units all come with the electric tongue jack. I guess you could put a manual one on but thats like buying a 4WD truck and takin a drive shaft out cause you only wanted 2WD.

I love the electric jack...especially on those 90deg days. I can hold a cocktail in one hand and push a button with the other!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:

As you grow older, you will adapt to the idea of conserving your energy for more important things than twisting on a jack in 90+degree heat or 20-degree cold when the press of a button is both quicker and easier.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
As you grow older, you will adapt to the idea of conserving your energy for more important things than twisting on a jack in 90+degree heat or 20-degree cold when the press of a button is both quicker and easier.
PRECISELY !!!!! Same thinking applies to the power stabilizers on our 8315BSS. And when my "somewhat suspect" OEM tongue jack permanently expires , I will replace it - probably with a Barker or an Atwood.

...VTX-Al
Old 06-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #31
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Quote:
PRECISELY !!!!! Same thinking applies to the power stabilizers on our 8315BSS. And when my "somewhat suspect" OEM tongue jack permanently expires , I will replace it - probably with a Barker or an Atwood.

...VTX-Al

Oh please tell me where you got power stabilizers, that they make them for my 831FKSS and that they are easy to install!!!!

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvius View Post

Oh please tell me where you got power stabilizers, that they make them for my 831FKSS and that they are easy to install!!!!

I love my power stabilizers too. Can put my slide out, lower both fronts, then do both backs, then the awning...all off of a remote c0ntrol key fob so I can do my whole setup with a cocktail!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
Barker 3500vip
Ditto. This what I have and love it. Never a problem. Good prices on this at adventure RV.

http://www.adventurerv.net/barker-vi...lb-p-4360.html
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #34

I think Barker has the reputation for reliability, Ultra Fab has great customer service, Atwood rates well and those of us with the Bulldog 4000lb. 5 yr. warranty don't seem to complain. Like mentioned above, any of the name brands should serve your purpose. What fits your budget will determine your choice....
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
AND...you can do it with a beer in hand!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #36
Another rat in the race

Remember the quicker you get those chores done or the easier she thinks they are, the sooner she has you do more of HER chores

besides I don't set up my trailer in 90+ degree heat, I have children
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvius View Post

REal easy ! All ya have to do is trade in your '06 for a new one and the power stabilizers will likely be standard equip.

...VTX-Al
Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Quote:
REal easy ! All ya have to do is trade in your '06 for a new one and the power stabilizers will likely be standard equip.

...VTX-Al

One more reason to trade it in, I'll add that to the list along with the second slide out.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
Ditto. This what I have and love it. Never a problem. Good prices on this at adventure RV.

Barker VIP Power Electric Tongue Jack 3500lb. - $199.99

Where were you 3hrs ago when I ordered the Husky 4500lb! haha! Thats ok...Im hearing good things about the Husky and it's rated at 1000lbs more. Both are nice units

Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #40
Another rat in the race

I guess I'm confused. Are these things rated for the trailer weight or the tongue weight. If trailer then I get it, but if tongue then why is a jack rated at thousands of pound braking while lifting hundreds?

Tags
led pad