Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #21
Canadian Member

Grouchy, when I was buying a compressor I thought long and hard about just getting a portable 120 VAC model. What persuaded me to spend the extra on the Viair was that if you need it on the road (or anywhere for that matter), you can use it. And it is very quiet which is a big benefit in a campground. With a 120 VAC compressor you'll need an inverter to be able to use it on the road and it's likely to be louder than the Viair. Just something to think about even if only to use the savings to get an inverter capable of powering your Fini Air Boss compressor.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #22

I find it mandatory to carry a 12 volt air compressor in the front compartment of my 5th wheel.
Inside I installed a 12volt outlet port just above where I store the compressor.
I have a Trail Air pin box and it requires air adjusting during trips and of course I use it on the truck and 5th wheel tires as needed.

However, I cut off the end of the compressor hose that clamps/screws onto a tire valve and put on a air hose quick change coupler.
This way I can connect my 25ft air hose coil with quick connect couplers that makes it easy to use the larger air chucks on my truck wheels.

I have attached a picture of the compressor I use that meets all my needs.

Islander
Attached Images

Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #23

I got a little Black & Dekker compressor at a hardware store in St. Ignace, MI a couple years ago. It works on either 12V or 120V and does all our car, trailer, bike, inflation. You set the pressure and it shuts off when it gets there, too. 12V cord is fairly long, but, the 120V is only a couple of feet. Air hose is about 18-24 inches. It has worked well for us at campsites and on the road. When home, I have a large tank compressor, and a small tank compressor for the cars.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #24
Denver, CO

Viair rv kit happy owner also, very good and versatile, and it has gone on sale every so often. Got mine in sept for 139$.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I find it mandatory to carry a 12 volt air compressor in the front compartment of my 5th wheel.
Inside I installed a 12volt outlet port just above where I store the compressor.
I have a Trail Air pin box and it requires air adjusting during trips and of course I use it on the truck and 5th wheel tires as needed.

However, I cut off the end of the compressor hose that clamps/screws onto a tire valve and put on a air hose quick change coupler.
This way I can connect my 25ft air hose coil with quick connect couplers that makes it easy to use the larger air chucks on my truck wheels.

I have attached a picture of the compressor I use that meets all my needs.

Islander
Hello, Islander.
I can't get my eyeballs to focus on the brand name of the compressor in your pic. Who makes it, please?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #26

I use my coach compressor when I need to top off the tires. I have a length of hoses with a tee on it. Tee has a chuck on it and a pressure gauge. Parts and hose with fittings cost about $20 to build via Harbor Freight.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:19 AM   #27

I bought something similar to this one :

ProForce VNF0880422 4 Gallon Pancake Air Compressor

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ProForce-V...essor/51349725

And added my own hose and chuck $20. It works off of 120V. Mine goes to 150 psi with a regulator.

I've used mine for semi truck tires. Of course it takes forever but it does the job. The one I bought was on clearance for $39 but only has 3 gallon tank. I would recommend a bigger tank.

I bought it thinking I could also use it to winterize the TT water lines. The tank is too small. Instead I use my 60 gallon 2 stage with a regulator set at 40 psi. Over kill certainly but you have to use what you have.

I used to own one of those Slime units but gave it to one of my kids. Highly recommend it for tires.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #28

"However, I cut off the end of the compressor hose that clamps/screws onto a tire valve and put on a air hose quick change coupler. "

Thanks Islander, I rejected the low-end Vair compressors because they didn't come with quick change couplers on the hose and I wanted the flexibility to use a long double headed air chuck.

I thought about cutting the end off the hose they supply but thought it would be risky to replace their professionally crimped hose end with a hose clamp / barbed fitting at the high pressures I needed. Can you elaborate on that a bit?
Grouchyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchyoldman View Post
"However, I cut off the end of the compressor hose that clamps/screws onto a tire valve and put on a air hose quick change coupler. "

Thanks Islander, I rejected the low-end Vair compressors because they didn't come with quick change couplers on the hose and I wanted the flexibility to use a long double headed air chuck.

I thought about cutting the end off the hose they supply but thought it would be risky to replace their professionally crimped hose end with a hose clamp / barbed fitting at the high pressures I needed. Can you elaborate on that a bit?
No worries there. It's done all of the time... and with much higher pressure. Just wrap the clamp with duct tape or electrical tape.

If you can find them (NAPA) has two way chucks with little threads inside the female end of the chuck that will grip the valve stem so that you don't have to hold the thing on by hand. Genius invention. I generally set the regulatory to 50 psi (what ever you require) attach the chuck and go inside where it is warm. When the compresser stops running I know my tire has 50 psi and the tank has 150 psi... move on to the next tire. The coffee should be ready.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #30

I discovered a few yeats ago 2 facts. 1) forget about finding any air stations that go over 70 psi and the truck stops have air that will exceed 70 psi but won't let you use them. At least where I am. 2) the small portable compressors tend to be unreliable at those pressures above 50 psi.

So since I already had a real compressor on hand from installing my wood floors I threw it in the RV. Yes it is about 20 lbs extra weight but I am absolutely certain it will perform every single time without burning up and seizing leaving me stranded. And it is quite loud but I don't care since it will run for only a short time. If it annoys and fellow camper for those few minutes after I let him know it's to fix a flat or under inflated tire then too bad. Really I don't know why noise is an issue at all in this case...
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #31

What I don't like about my Viair is that the cords to the battery don't reach to the ground. Very annoying to have to set up a table and then worrying about it falling off the table. And my double chuck experiences were not good. Felt like I needed three hands and an extra set of eyes to see the gauge. Once a month I screw an extension hos bee onto the valve, inflate 2 lbs over for the little bit that leaks out while I unscrew the extension. Works fine and it's a great pump but a bit fiddly and expensive.
wherewolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #32
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewolf17 View Post
What I don't like about my Viair is that the cords to the battery don't reach to the ground. Very annoying to have to set up a table and then worrying about it falling off the table.
That's really weird. Mine reaches to the ground with extra to spare:

I didn't get a double-chuck from them since I had already had all of the pieces from my previous compressor. I did get one with a built-in gauge. The gauge isn't accurate whatsoever, so I keep my digital gauge with me.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #33

Well if I moved my battery over there, HeeHee. My Chevy only has side posts in the back so I need an extra foot. Should crimp it on. My gauge matches up with my other two, so seems fine to me.
wherewolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #34
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewolf17 View Post
Well if I moved my battery over there, HeeHee. My Chevy only has side posts in the back so I need an extra foot. Should crimp it on. My gauge matches up with my other two, so seems fine to me.
Ohhh, I have batteries on both sides. Makes it easier for things like this.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
I discovered a few yeats ago 2 facts. 1) forget about finding any air stations that go over 70 psi and the truck stops have air that will exceed 70 psi but won't let you use them. At least where I am. 2) the small portable compressors tend to be unreliable at those pressures above 50 psi.

So since I already had a real compressor on hand from installing my wood floors I threw it in the RV. Yes it is about 20 lbs extra weight but I am absolutely certain it will perform every single time without burning up and seizing leaving me stranded. And it is quite loud but I don't care since it will run for only a short time. If it annoys and fellow camper for those few minutes after I let him know it's to fix a flat or under inflated tire then too bad. Really I don't know why noise is an issue at all in this case...
Truck stops won't let you? Are you asking first... What can they do... It's a public utility they can't discriminate. If they provide a common service (like air) for trucks they have to provide it for everyone.. I'd do it for spite just because they are jerks. They're not to cut me up and eat me... Besides I would be in and out before they could get their panties in a wad.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDMeyer View Post
Truck stops won't let you? Are you asking first... What can they do... It's a public utility they can't discriminate. If they provide a common service (like air) for trucks they have to provide it for everyone.. I'd do it for spite just because they are jerks. They're not to cut me up and eat me... Besides I would be in and out before they could get their panties in a wad.
The air is in a garage area so I asked and they told me no. He also said they use to allow it but the RVers and others would end up not taking proper care of it or breaking it. Anyway, I'm better off with the compressor I have. If I'm in the middle of nowhere boondocking and get a leak I know for sure it will work.

Also the Porter compressor allows me other advantages like blowing out areas where there's dirt or dust clogging things up. Try blowing the water out of the RV with a Viair for example.😊
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
The air is in a garage area so I asked and they told me no. He also said they use to allow it but the RVers and others would end up not taking proper care of it or breaking it. Anyway, I'm better off with the compressor I have. If I'm in the middle of nowhere boondocking and get a leak I know for sure it will work.

Also the Porter compressor allows me other advantages like blowing out areas where there's dirt or dust clogging things up. Try blowing the water out of the RV with a Viair for example.😊
Gotcha. The bigger Truck Stops luke flying J, Pilot, TA, Loves etc... Generally all provide air (usually free) for big trucks at the fuel islands.

Sorry for your luck. I agree that having your own is the best way.

Tags
tire