Old 09-25-2016, 03:56 AM   #11

Every pit stop I shoot the hubs with a heat gun. Always had one drum a little hotter by about 5 degrees. Then one trip it was 132 while the other drums were 112. I thought bearing But when I tore it apart i found the retainer that holds the brake shoe to the backing plate had broken and the shoe was wearing into the drum. It was really deep, Much more and the drum would have come apart. A temp gun is a must for me,I shoot tires,transmission, rear end, trailer hubs and my 1880's griswald waffel maker, It's got to be 350 for the perfect waffel.

moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
Every pit stop I shoot the hubs with a heat gun. Always had one drum a little hotter by about 5 degrees. Then one trip it was 132 while the other drums were 112. I thought bearing But when I tore it apart i found the retainer that holds the brake shoe to the backing plate had broken and the shoe was wearing into the drum. It was really deep, Much more and the drum would have come apart. A temp gun is a must for me,I shoot tires,transmission, rear end, trailer hubs and my 1880's griswald waffel maker, It's got to be 350 for the perfect waffel.
As an update on repairs to our Salem Cruise Lite, we too had to replace bearings on the back axle and the brake assembly on the front brake as a result of the same situation. The spring and adjusting wheel were laying in the bottom of the drum when they took it apart. One thing they can't tell me is why it all came apart. These are self adjusting brakes, so there was nothing I did, or didn't do. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks for all your comments. I can submit photo's if you want.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #13

Follow Up

As a follow up again, the brake assembly is an AxleTek 10 GG, which is self-adjusting manufactured 2013 and assembled on our 2015 Cruise Lite. Looking at their web site, the warranty period is one year so it's out, but I would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem with the adjuster coming apart. These pieces were found loose in the bottom of the wheel. They assured me that there was nothing I did, or didn't do.

Also, I can't say enough good things about the Tire Traker 500 TMS that indicated there was a problem with both the rear and front tire temps.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #14

I'm just guessing that the quality of the parts used in trailer brakes might not be as good as whats spec'ed for autos or maybe your auto adjust was not set up right and my brake shoe retainer was not clicked in place.

moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel