Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Possible Bad Wheel Bearing

We just got the Tire Traker 500 system for monitoring air pressures and temps in each of our 4 trailer tires. Got everything installed and working. We took the trailer out of storage and brought it home to start preparations for trips coming up this winter. During the short trip of app. 40 miles, I noticed the temps in 3 of the wheels ranged from 87 to 90 degrees, but the 4th showed around 127. Outside temperature was around 90. Wondering if a bearing may be going out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Air pressures were all constant and within range. Thanks
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

Take your hand and feel the wheel bearing area after you determine you are at operating temperature. If the hub center feels warm on your suspect wheel, it maybe a bearing. Not sure if you are referencing a MH. If that is the case, make sure you do not have brakes hanging up. Although, that temperature variant isn't indicating failure is eminent in the near term.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

The wheel bearing is a long ways from the valve stem the sensor is on. Probably won't read a hot bearing. My guess is it's a brake hanging up or a bad sensor...
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #4

Jack the offender off the ground and give it a good spin, listen for any noise.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

Maybe you could try swapping the sensors on two tires and see if the suspect wheel still indicates hot.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #6

Harbor freight sells a cheap lazor temp gun ,I have one use it when we stop check, tires, wheel centers (for bearing temp) , and brake drums. Not really concerned with accuracy in the numbers but just that they are all close to the same temp. The ray gun will help narrow it down and its cheap Insurance. Get cha one
Shejam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #7

I had a wheel bearing go bad on my trailer. By the time I noticed it was smoking. I'm sure a TPMS would have detected it and alerted me. I now have a TST 507 system with metal valve stems. The metal stems should conduct the heat from the wheels to the cap sensors. I also have the Harbor Freight IR thermometer which agrees with the sensor temps within a degree or two when pointed at the sensors.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
ARLO

Are you ready for a bring back? Have the Chinese bearings replaced with American bearings and I haven't packed at all the bearings.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudston View Post
I had a wheel bearing go bad on my trailer. By the time I noticed it was smoking. I'm sure a TPMS would have detected it and alerted me. I now have a TST 507 system with metal valve stems. The metal stems should conduct the heat from the wheels to the cap sensors. I also have the Harbor Freight IR thermometer which agrees with the sensor temps within a degree or two when pointed at the sensors.

I too have the heat detector, but didn't think of using it on the hub. I also have the metal valve stems, which I highly recommend. Makes checking air easier and more accurate. I'm taking the trailer in to our local tire and wheel shop Monday to have them look at bearings and brakes on both axles of our TT. Should be ready to go south this winter. Thanks everyone for input. As always, you all are great assets in figuring these things out. The TMS is the latest item I've gotten that will help our outings become good memories and not bad!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #10

We make it a point to hand check each of the hubs when making a rest stop or fuel stop. Note that when you are driving during sunlight, the hubs will always be a few degrees warmer on the sun side of the unit. We also carry a spare set of bearings and packing grease. Fortunately, we have never had to use them.

If you have a failing bearing, there should be more play in that wheel if it jacked up. Loose bearings cause the brake pads on that wheel to drag, thus more heat.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:56 AM   #11

Every pit stop I shoot the hubs with a heat gun. Always had one drum a little hotter by about 5 degrees. Then one trip it was 132 while the other drums were 112. I thought bearing But when I tore it apart i found the retainer that holds the brake shoe to the backing plate had broken and the shoe was wearing into the drum. It was really deep, Much more and the drum would have come apart. A temp gun is a must for me,I shoot tires,transmission, rear end, trailer hubs and my 1880's griswald waffel maker, It's got to be 350 for the perfect waffel.
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
Every pit stop I shoot the hubs with a heat gun. Always had one drum a little hotter by about 5 degrees. Then one trip it was 132 while the other drums were 112. I thought bearing But when I tore it apart i found the retainer that holds the brake shoe to the backing plate had broken and the shoe was wearing into the drum. It was really deep, Much more and the drum would have come apart. A temp gun is a must for me,I shoot tires,transmission, rear end, trailer hubs and my 1880's griswald waffel maker, It's got to be 350 for the perfect waffel.
As an update on repairs to our Salem Cruise Lite, we too had to replace bearings on the back axle and the brake assembly on the front brake as a result of the same situation. The spring and adjusting wheel were laying in the bottom of the drum when they took it apart. One thing they can't tell me is why it all came apart. These are self adjusting brakes, so there was nothing I did, or didn't do. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks for all your comments. I can submit photo's if you want.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #13

Follow Up

As a follow up again, the brake assembly is an AxleTek 10 GG, which is self-adjusting manufactured 2013 and assembled on our 2015 Cruise Lite. Looking at their web site, the warranty period is one year so it's out, but I would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem with the adjuster coming apart. These pieces were found loose in the bottom of the wheel. They assured me that there was nothing I did, or didn't do.

Also, I can't say enough good things about the Tire Traker 500 TMS that indicated there was a problem with both the rear and front tire temps.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

I'm just guessing that the quality of the parts used in trailer brakes might not be as good as whats spec'ed for autos or maybe your auto adjust was not set up right and my brake shoe retainer was not clicked in place.
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel