Old 05-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Power Tongue Jack Question

I just picked up our new 2013 Mini Lite 2306! it came with an LCI Power Tongue Jack. I have a couple questions about it as I never owned one before.

- I assume these can be left uncovered in the elements. Is there anything special I need to do to store it? Do most people leave them covered or uncovered?

- Is there any way to manually operate it if the motor goes? I don't want to be stuck somewhere and the jack not work?

- It might be too late now but is LCI a good brand?

punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
I'm fairly new to them aswell but have had ours for about a month. The LCI brand leaves something to be desired from what I gather on this site. There is a little rubber plug in the top of the jack. Pull it out an there should be a handle to manually crank it up and down in your unit somewhere. Usually front storage cubby. As far as weather, they are a sealed unit. Shouldn't need to be covered but covering it probably would help it to last a little longer.

Whiskeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I agree with Whiskeyjack on all points.

You can leave it uncovered. I cover it in the winter, though.

Unplug the rubber plug on the top rear of the unit head, insert the handle and crank away. I've attached your manual for your reference.

Meh, it's not the best. I replaced my LCI with a barker VIP 3500 jack several months into using it. It stripped its gears.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf om-electric-tongue-jack-v2-web.pdf (83.8 KB, 119 views)
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Don't know the make of mine but it did get water in the motor and it froze last winter the magnets in the motor came loose, I was able to re-glue them with epoxy, now I keep it covered all the time ,I found a gallon container and cut the top off and it slides over the motor perfectly.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Site Team
It really doesn't need it but I brought a electric tongue jack cover from CW - figure it can't hurt but might help when it rains.

Triguy already gave the directions in case you need to hand crank it. This is something I learned during the PDI and had to put it to use a couple of hours later. I had a problem with the first electric tongue jack but don't recall the brand either. Since getting it upgraded I haven't had any problems at all.

Before I forget - Congratulations your Mini Lite 2306!

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
OP here. Well it's been a day and already found a problem. The plastic casing or cover has about a six inch crack in it. I assume the cover is what protects the motor from rain and moisture...correct? Or, is the motor waterproof and the cover is just for aesthetics? I put duct tape over it to protect it but it obviously isn't very attractive and I wouldn't mind removing it if i could. The dealer is over an hour away so it's a hassle to take it there for something like this.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
If it were me, I would email the maker of the jack, explain the problem, maybe even a pic or two, and maybe they will send you a new cover. All it takes a is a little computer time.
Worth a shot, before towing 2 hours round trip, for a 10 minute part swap.

Now I am assuming the cover is just help on with a few screws, not all jacks are created equal.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote