Old 11-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl07230 View Post
Wish someone would buy mine. Still looking for some more tires after this problem. Copied it from another forum I posted it on TDR magazine after reading their RV forum. After reading current issue/RV articles on tires I knew I needed to post this and to ask further advice. We (wife & I)bought a new Forest River 28 ft. travel trailer in Feb. 2013. We live in East Texas. We have taken several short trips this past year and only 3 over 1500 miles. 2 weeks ago while getting ready for a trip to Bandera Tx I found a low tire. Took it off and to the local tire shop. Found out that it was splitting in different places at the seam just above the rim. Decided to swap the spare on to the nice rim. In doing so found another bad tire same problem. Contacted Forest River they said to contact manufacture. Contacted Lionshead Wheel & Tire as these are Trail Express tires, they said because of the dates it was out of warranty and that the warranty is from date of manufacture and not purchase. Some of my tires have the date as 2412. Which means it was made 24th week of 2012. Recontacted Forest River and asked them why they were putting tires on their products with 6 to 8 months of warranty gone. They said that they order from Lions Head and cannot control how for in advance Lions Head purchases their tires from China. Has any one else had this problem with tires? Currently on the trailer are Trail Express Power Towing Size ST 225/75R15. I didn't want to go through the hassel of changing rims as in the current article that I've read about so many doing, but I do need 5 new trailer tires. Open to suggestions on sizes,brands,etc. that will work on the 15 inch rim. Another problem I found was that the drain hole at the bottom of the electric tounge jack is not big enough for water (how it got in there i don't know) to drain out. Motor seized up completely, couldn't even hand jack it. Luckyly I was able to take it apart get it to working, cleaned it and regreased it and drilled the cover drain hole out to about 1/2 inch. Now I turn a 5 gallon bucket over it when not in tow. The Tire Fight ain't over with yet. I'm doing what I told Forest River what I said I would do. Letting everyone know that I can what kind of shabby operation they are running. Thanks to TDR for the article or some of us (me) would've went out and bought just any replacement tire.
You can look at your trailer's certification label for the actual date it was manufactured and compare that date with your date of purchase. At least doing that you will know about how old the tires were when they left the factory.

Airdale

Old 11-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl07230 View Post
If anyone has any advice on brand of tire/size for 15 inch rim I'll reserch it and let ya'll know. If it was a truck tire I could tell you in a heartbeat what I use but trailer tires are knew to me. DANG!. Gotta do some more studying.
Almost all 15" and 16" trailer tires are now manufactured with the nylon overlay. Goodyear and Maxxis have been doing it longer than most. TowMax and Carlisle have started in the past couple of years.

When researching RV trailer tires the information is very anecdotal, even on the NHTSA data base. Many of the tires with what looks like excessive negative reports are OEM tires. Tires such as Maxxis are seldom used as OEM and appear to have better usability because of the lack of feedback. But, IMO it's a false positive because they are most often used as replacements and upgraded in load capacity from the OE tires they replaced.

Probably the best advice in researching ST tires is to get serious about their capabilities, including servicing, speed and life expectancy. Currently, Carlisle, Maxxis and TowMax have the longest warranty period. Four years from date of purchase..

Airdale

Old 01-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #23
Krusing Since 1975

Send a message via Yahoo to skydoctor
Tires

Commerce Preliminarily Finds Dumping of Imports of
Certain Passenger Vehicle and Light Truck Tires from the People’s Republic of China
• On January 21, 2015, the Department of Commerce (Commerce) announced its affirmative preliminary determination in the antidumping duty (AD) investigation of imports of certain passenger vehicle and light truck tires from the People’s Republic of China (China).

• The AD law provides U.S. businesses and workers with a transparent and internationally accepted mechanism to seek relief from the market distorting effects caused by injurious dumping of imports into the United States, establishing an opportunity to compete on a level playing field.

• For the purpose of AD investigations, dumping occurs when a foreign company sells a product in the United States at less than its fair value.

• Commerce preliminarily determined that imports of certain passenger vehicle and light truck tires from China have been sold in the United States at dumping margins ranging from 19.17 percent to 87.99 percent.

• Mandatory respondents Giti Tire Global Trading Pte. Ltd.1 and Sailun Group Co., Ltd.2 received preliminary dumping margins of 19.17 percent and 36.26 percent, respectively. All other producers/exporters in China received a preliminary dumping margin of 87.99 percent.

(6) tires designed and marketed exclusively for specialty tire (ST) use which, in addition, exhibit each of the following physical characteristics:*
(a) the size designation molded on the tire’s sidewall is listed in the ST sections of the Tire and Rim Association Year Book,
(b) the designation “ST” is molded into the tire’s sidewall as part of the size designation,
(c) the tire incorporates a warning, prominently molded on the sidewall, that the tire is “For Trailer Service Only” or “For Trailer Use Only”,
(d) the load index molded on the tire’s sidewall meets or exceeds those load indexes listed in the Tire and Rim Association Year Book for the relevant ST tire size, and
(e) the tire’s speed rating is molded on the sidewall, indicating the rated speed in MPH or a letter rating as listed by TRA, and the rated speed does not exceed 81 MPH or an “M” rating;
Old 01-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Well there you have it....our tax dollars hard at work trying to keep tire prices up to where the the whining US Tire companies feel they should be. Jimmy Hoffa would be proud!
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydoctor View Post
Certain Passenger Vehicle and Light Truck Tires from the People’s Republic of China
• On January 21, 2015, the Department of Commerce (Commerce) announced its affirmative preliminary determination in the antidumping duty (AD) investigation of imports of certain passenger vehicle and light truck tires from the People’s Republic of China (China).

• The AD law provides U.S. businesses and workers with a transparent and internationally accepted mechanism to seek relief from the market distorting effects caused by injurious dumping of imports into the United States, establishing an opportunity to compete on a level playing field.

• For the purpose of AD investigations, dumping occurs when a foreign company sells a product in the United States at less than its fair value.

• Commerce preliminarily determined that imports of certain passenger vehicle and light truck tires from China have been sold in the United States at dumping margins ranging from 19.17 percent to 87.99 percent.

• Mandatory respondents Giti Tire Global Trading Pte. Ltd.1 and Sailun Group Co., Ltd.2 received preliminary dumping margins of 19.17 percent and 36.26 percent, respectively. All other producers/exporters in China received a preliminary dumping margin of 87.99 percent.

(6) tires designed and marketed exclusively for specialty tire (ST) use which, in addition, exhibit each of the following physical characteristics:*
(a) the size designation molded on the tire’s sidewall is listed in the ST sections of the Tire and Rim Association Year Book,
(b) the designation “ST” is molded into the tire’s sidewall as part of the size designation,
(c) the tire incorporates a warning, prominently molded on the sidewall, that the tire is “For Trailer Service Only” or “For Trailer Use Only”,
(d) the load index molded on the tire’s sidewall meets or exceeds those load indexes listed in the Tire and Rim Association Year Book for the relevant ST tire size, and
(e) the tire’s speed rating is molded on the sidewall, indicating the rated speed in MPH or a letter rating as listed by TRA, and the rated speed does not exceed 81 MPH or an “M” rating;
I'm not following your post here skydoctor. What I've emboldened from your quoted post (6a-e) are EXCLUSIONS to the tire tariff. ST designated tires are not going to be included in the tariffs.

Is this what you were trying to point out?

Here is the entire text:

http://enforcement.trade.gov/downloa...lim-012115.pdf

All of our tire distributors are being so kind as to email us copies of this....along with the "oh yeah, here's your price increase."

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #26

I just got has back from a 500+ mile round trip for the MLK weekend and the LTs towed great. The 2nd night I was there one of the other campers pulled in late and was waiting to get in their spot and while waiting, I was talking to the DW. They were late due to a blowout.... She was very upset as they just bought and picked up their new fiver 1 day prior. The right rear fender trim was gone and the material around the front right trailer tire was peeled back.... A lot of damage.... Boom...
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #27

What people will not tell you about there blowout experience is:
The last time they checked the air Pressure ? or Yea, I drive 75/80 so what. Low pressure and high speeds over 65 for ST rated tires and your going to see a blowout. It's not a matter of if, but more to the point, when.
All tires in the US have to meet DOT testing requirements even if they come from China. My Double Kings cost $109 a tireAnd I have 40k on them. Goodyear Unisteel G614 Yep made here in the USA, will set you back $350 each.
Eliminate the rest
Zoo1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydoctor View Post

If this law was to be enacted stand by to start paying quite a bit more for your ST radial tires which are all made in China due to there high manufacturing cost.
Eliminate the rest
Zoo1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo1392 View Post
If this law was to be enacted stand by to start paying quite a bit more for your ST radial tires which are all made in China due to there high manufacturing cost.
Or maybe it will become more cost effective to make the tires in the US and we'll actually get some good tires???? Even if the price of the tires doubled, that would add what, $200 to the cost of a new camper. I can live with that.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo1392 View Post
What people will not tell you about there blowout experience is:
The last time they checked the air Pressure ? or Yea, I drive 75/80 so what. Low pressure and high speeds over 65 for ST rated tires and your going to see a blowout. It's not a matter of if, but more to the point, when.
All tires in the US have to meet DOT testing requirements even if they come from China. My Double Kings cost $109 a tireAnd I have 40k on them. Goodyear Unisteel G614 Yep made here in the USA, will set you back $350 each.
Without a doubt there are some whaco people out there but I did ask them and they set the cruise at 65 and they just picked it up from the dealer after a PDI so I would HOPE that the dealer checked the air pressures on a new sale.

I go commercial LT tires. The Goodyear 614s are nice but very $$$.

TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, tire, tires