Old 12-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #11

i picked up my new 21fbrs in iowa yesterday and pulled it home 300 miles with my 4.0 v6 ranger. the trip went perfect. i locked out overdrive all the way home and used speed control 98%. i was heading into the wind most of the way. fairly flat highway running 55 mph. i hit about 14 grades where the trans. down shifted. it never exceeded 3800 rpm and was running a consistant 2400 rpm. i had plenty of power and with the reese pro wdh, and dual stablilizers handling was perfect. a few big trucks passing me tightened my butt,and i used lots of fuel. i guess a new truck is out of the equation.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #12

i just realized that i started this tread buying a rockford 2109s. the deal fell trhough on that so i bought the same model in a flagstaff in iowa.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #13

Those rpms sound right at where I was at with my setup with the Ranger and my 3,700 lb trailer. It can do it for sure. I actually didn't find any problems with the big trucks going by me. No sway at all. If your not traveling far and can avoid wet grass/mud areas, the ranger will have no trouble. We have since upgraded to a F150, but mainly for the safety of our son so he wouldn't have to sit in the sideways facing jumper seats in the back. My wife hated him sitting back there.

Congrats on the trailer!

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #14

i would love to have a new f150 or expedition. but for the distance i will be towing each year, it is just not financially sensible. there are so many nice camp grounds close to home, and we have traveled so much since i retired in 1994, we now have no need to go that far. we have some of the most beautiful country in the usa at our backdoor in mo.

Tags
trailer