Old 07-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #11
I made a (Heavy Duty Step Ramp) with 2x10 wood which I took to the (Tire Shop)! I pull up the Ramp and they change (1) Tire at a time,(EVERYBODY is SAFE) and no Damage to the RV! I have Posted a Open Offer to let any Members use this Ramp,and Several Have! This (ELIMANATES) any Safety or Axle/Frame Damage! Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Do you know someone you could borrow some jack stands from so you could put the trailer on them and take all the tires at once?
That is a LOT of trailer to (JACK UP) and Remove (2) Tires at one time! For (Safety) jacking and placing (cribbage/jack stands) is a issue as well as you should be hooked to the TV with the A frame jack retracted! Then you will need another TV to take the (2) tires for replacement! Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #13
I would not worry to much about the size of the bays at walmat. Most of my tire replacements were done outside the building and they just dragged the jack and air line out to the camper. Of course 29 years of my experience was in the south and working outside is much more common in the south.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
Site Team
Be sure to check the DOT date codes on the tires before they mount them. Warehouses will generally ship older tires if they have them and you don't check. I have always given my tire dealers an acceptable window when I ordered the tires. You don't want to start out with a 2yr old tire. I have always taken my tires two at a time to the dealers. An extra trip, but much safer,

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
Most Wally Worlds in my neck of the woods are hard pressed to put in the right amount of oil and remember to tighten the drain plug during an oil change ... you're thinking of letting them jack up your trailer and swap tires ................................ I can hear the "rattle guns" tightening up the lug nuts already.
dieselguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #16
I agree with Flybob. Check the mfg. date stamped on sidewall. You will be surprised at how old some new tires really are. A little extra work to remove wheels & tires yourself, but at least you know you are doing it right.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Believe me, I'm not for backing it their bays for sure (nor would I let them).
I had the same debate before replacing our tires - take the rims down 2 at a time or just take the trailer down. Ended up working out nicely just taking the trailer down. The shop was plenty big enough to back the trailer in, but they just did it outside. Saved time and left the tv hooked up, plus gave me the perfect opportunity to "supervise." Was in and out in 45 minutes.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #18
Are you aware that the Marathons are now China Bombs? I had to replace 2 before I figured it out.
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #19
Canadian Member
Great discussion here. What method does FR, or Dexter or the frame manufacturer recommend for jacking a TT with torsion axles to replace tires?
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #20
Walmart must have changed their rules. Last fall we met another couple at a campground in Kentucky. We traveled with them to Niagara Falls. He blew two tires on the way. This was on Sunday,so he went to Walmart. They would mount them on the wheel, but he had to put them on the trailer. This was at two different Walmarts.

Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

tire, tires