Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Great discussion here. What method does FR, or Dexter or the frame manufacturer recommend for jacking a TT with torsion axles to replace tires?
I haven't been able to find that. I jack mine at the point where the axle assembly attaches to the frame, with a block between the jack and the axle mount. So far... so good...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
That is a LOT of trailer to (JACK UP) and Remove (2) Tires at one time! For (Safety) jacking and placing (cribbage/jack stands) is a issue as well as you should be hooked to the TV with the A frame jack retracted! Then you will need another TV to take the (2) tires for replacement! Youroo!!
I am with Youroo on this. I would not jack up my 5th Wheel on the landing gear, I am afraid of the legs snapping with all of that weight.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #23

On my previous TT, I bought tires from Tire Rack and arranged to have them installed by a local TireRack authorized tire store. The tire store said "sure, no problem!). It wasn't until some time later that I noticed the straps holding the lower body panels to the frame were bent/broken. The panel was also bent. Obviously they didn't have the right lift system, or didn't take the care required to do the job right. They did tell me, however, that they would no longer change tires on TT's. I'd either do it myself, or find a REAL truck tire center. I had to have all 4 tires replaced at the same time a few years ago (2 of them blew, sidewall goiters on the others). Total time to replace all 4 tires: 30 minutes.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #24
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I'd save myself the aggravation and grief. Bring them just the wheels and tires and have them change them out and balance them. Also, while they're off, repack the bearings with a quality wheel bearing grease.
But that's me. I enjoy the work.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #25

Marathons are another blow up prone Chinese made tires. If you really want a good tire, go Maxxis.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
Walmart must have changed their rules. Last fall we met another couple at a campground in Kentucky. We traveled with them to Niagara Falls. He blew two tires on the way. This was on Sunday,so he went to Walmart. They would mount them on the wheel, but he had to put them on the trailer. This was at two different Walmarts.
I had a similar situation several years ago, at a SAMs club. They wouldn't remove from the trailer. I was already there, so I jacked it up, near their bay door, took the wheel off rolled it in. They mounted & balanced & bought it out to me. Did the next one, etc.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #27
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Had a bearing problem, used a bottle jack behind the tire on the frame to make repairs. The 5r was in the air for hours while I emery-clothed the spindle, replaced the brakes, backing plate, and bearings. I'm thinking leaving it up while Wall*Mart replaced tires wouldn't have matter...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I am with Youroo on this. I would not jack up my 5th Wheel on the landing gear, I am afraid of the legs snapping with all of that weight.
The trailer on 4 jack stands and the landing gear doesn't put anymore wt on the landing gear than sitting on 4 tires and the landing gear.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The trailer on 4 jack stands and the landing gear doesn't put anymore wt on the landing gear than sitting on 4 tires and the landing gear.
If you have to jack up the side really high due to unlevel ground I was perched on only one landing gear. I opted to drop it on the truck. The Gear is near full extension and on 8 inch blocks, driveway is on a slop. Just my circumstance.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #30

Since the OP has a bumper pull talking about a fifth wheel has no relevance.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #31

i like your idea of taking the wheels to walmart, then you can pull the drums and check the breaks,grease the bearings etc. you could have got someone answering the phone saying sure we can do it
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #32

Wal Mart

Anything Wal Mart does-----stay there and watch it being done. My experience with the work force at ANY Wal Mart is not too favorable.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #33
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I prefer to take the tires to them. I don't trust a lot of folks to jack and remove tires. I do have the equip to do so. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #34

i wonder what walmart has for warranty and road hazard? i go to sams club for their road hazard , still need to be pro actice about service
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I made a (Heavy Duty Step Ramp) with 2x10 wood which I took to the (Tire Shop)! I pull up the Ramp and they change (1) Tire at a time,(EVERYBODY is SAFE) and no Damage to the RV! I have Posted a Open Offer to let any Members use this Ramp,and Several Have! This (ELIMANATES) any Safety or Axle/Frame Damage! Youroo!!
Can we trouble you to put up a picture of your ramp please?
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #36

I just replaced all 4 china bombs last month after 1 blew out on a 400 mile trip, had less then 3500 miles and 3 seasons on them. DOT dated them 9/2009. I searched the internet for the best price and found Discount Tire has the best deals on Goodyear Marathons and not only was the price the best. But they have a Complete tire replacement warranty that costs $12/tire and will replace the tires for any reason except vandalism, for the life of the tire. Lets see Walmart or any other tire dealer give ya that. Hopefully you have a Discount Tire near you. Just my 2 cents

Plus it appears that Discount tire has a $70 visa card rebate if you purchase all 4 tires. And another $30 dollars if you use a Discount tire credit card.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...s.do?pgid=2046
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #37
Site Team

I replaced my trail express at walmart after a blowout on i49 last year. They had 4 lr-d in stock. They had me park outside the bay and rolled a floor jack out. I told tire and lube manager that it had to be jacked on the frame and not on the axle. They did that and I was able to walk around it and watch. No problem other than the boy who did it griping about having to do it.
Ask for road hazard warranty. I almost got it before some lady at the counter said "I thought we couldn't do road hazard on trailer tires." Anyway... Your story is familiar. I had 3 blowouts like that, on load range E. Tires looked fine then boom!

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #38

Purchasing tires at WalMart...

I had to replace my tires on Saturday in the middle of a trip. I told them you can't jack it up on the axel they wanted to argue with me about it. They called a local Rv dealership to come out and lift the rig the tire shop got a huge bill from the Rv dealership that they tried to make me pay. I told them if you would have listened to me in the first place you wouldn't have had to call them
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I replaced my trail express at walmart after a blowout on i49 last year. They had 4 lr-d in stock. They had me park outside the bay and rolled a floor jack out. I told tire and lube manager that it had to be jacked on the frame and not on the axle. They did that and I was able to walk around it and watch. No problem other than the boy who did it griping about having to do it.
Ask for road hazard warranty. I almost got it before some lady at the counter said "I thought we couldn't do road hazard on trailer tires." Anyway... Your story is familiar. I had 3 blowouts like that, on load range E. Tires looked fine then boom!
Dave, I think that Wal-mart 'company' policy is not to work on trailers/RV's.....but you may always find a more customer oriented manager at some locations.

As far as road hazard, that varies by chain and if they are self insured (like Wal-Mart is) or buy a third party policy from a national company. Any third party plans I have seen excluded commercial, trailer, RV, and many times off-road use tires (mug grips). Mistakes do happen, and someone working the counter will sell you a road hazard that is not supposed to be covered. it can be a fine point, and I have actually seen where Wal-mart refunded the price of an incorrect sold road hazard policy, but did not cover the trailer trailer even though they initially sold it.

I just saw in a previous post, advising that Discount Tire sold road hazards......... although their fine print may say otherwise on RV's.

Tire Warranty: Certificate for Tire Replacement, Refund or Repair | Discount Tire

Conditions and Exclusions

Non-commercial service includes use by the owner in his/her regular trade or business but excludes commercial truck, racing, off-the-highway, taxi, limousine, or similar service. Passenger, SUV or light truck tire road hazard warranty (if applicable) does not apply to tires used on commercial trucks, recreational vehicles or off-the-highway service.

----------------------------------------

I advise everyone to read their road hazard warranty (as in any insurance policy, the written word supersedes the spoken one), and not just trust that the person behind the counter was properly trained. It may save you some grief down the road. You may also find out that sidewall strikes are not covered in a road hazard policy.

BTW, Tire Rack road hazard also excludes trailer tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/roadHazard/trhp.jsp

• The following tires are not eligible for Tire Road Hazard Protection:
    • Competition tires
    • LT Metric sized tires
    • LT Flotation sized tires
    • Trailer tires

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #40

Took my TT to Pep Boys for balance and steel stems. I told them where to jack it up (frame, between tires) and gave them the torque specs. Then I installed the TPMS sensors prior to balancing and watched every step. No problems.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires