Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #41

I picked up 4 new Marathons at a Tire Rack distribution point and took them to a Firestone service facility. I parked in the shopping center lot and removed my tire/rim assembly one at a time and rolled them into the Firestone shop. They mounted and balanced each tire one at a time for me, and disposed of the OEM tires.

I 'jacked' the trailer tires one a time by driving one wheel on an angled 2"x8" board as recommended by the trailer dealer.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
I picked up 4 new Marathons at a Tire Rack distribution point and took them to a Firestone service facility. I parked in the shopping center lot and removed my tire/rim assembly one at a time and rolled them into the Firestone shop. They mounted and balanced each tire one at a time for me, and disposed of the OEM tires.

I 'jacked' the trailer tires one a time by driving one wheel on an angled 2"x8" board as recommended by the trailer dealer.
Was your unit (Loaded for Travel) when you went for the Tire Trade? Ours will Not raise enough with (1) 2x? to remove the Tire! Maybe our Axle (Angle) is different than Your Model? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Was your unit (Loaded for Travel) when you went for the Tire Trade? Ours will Not raise enough with (1) 2x? to remove the Tire! Maybe our Axle (Angle) is different than Your Model? Youroo!!
The 2"x8" about 15" long plank had a 4"x4" under one end to create the angle. Driving up the plank raised the trailer enough to have the other wheel dangle for removal. Our model is in the signature
Old 08-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #44

Wal-Mart Changed Tires

I just had my TT tires changed by Wal-Mart a few days ago. I bought the tires through Walmart and had them shipped site to store. Once I arrived at the Tire and Auto center the mechanic was a little hesitant to install them on my TT because of the facilities but went ahead and had me back up about halfway in. I supervised the entire process, it only took about 45 minutes but as I read previous posts here I'm worried about my axles now. I had no idea of the jacking process, I do have torsion axles. He rolled out a great big floor jack and jacked up one side at a time. Wish I had found this post a few weeks ago...

What kinds of things should I look for to see if there was any damage done? On the ride home it pulled just fine and felt good. Should I be worried about damage?

Side note I'm so relived to finally get a new set of tires on my trailer, I've had really old tires on it for a while and am relieved to not have to worry about my tires every trip!
davemoore99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #45
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Watch for uneven wear. If he jacked on the frame near the torsion it should be fine.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #46

Quote:
That is a LOT of trailer to (JACK UP) and Remove (2) Tires at one time! For (Safety) jacking and placing (cribbage/jack stands) is a issue as well as you should be hooked to the TV with the A frame jack retracted! Then you will need another TV to take the (2) tires for replacement! Youroo!!
I never knew that the TT should be hooked up to the TV when jacking the TT. When I replaced my tires, I jacked up one side, took off both tires and ran then down to get replacements, then repeated the process on the other side. I wasn't hooked up to my TV.. What possible problems if any can I expect or should I be looking for?

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #47
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
I never knew that the TT should be hooked up to the TV when jacking the TT. When I replaced my tires, I jacked up one side, took off both tires and ran then down to get replacements, then repeated the process on the other side. I wasn't hooked up to my TV.. What possible problems if any can I expect or should I be looking for?
None. Some will leave it connected for decreasing a chance for the trailer to move and fall off the jack.
You do not have to have it connected.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:07 AM   #48

Quote:
I made a (Heavy Duty Step Ramp) with 2x10 wood which I took to the (Tire Shop)! I pull up the Ramp and they change (1) Tire at a time,(EVERYBODY is SAFE) and no Damage to the RV!
Do you (or anyone else who mentioned a jacking "ramp") happen to have a photo of what you built? I think I'd like to make & carry one of these along. I assume it's the lumber equivalent of what a Trailer Aid tire changing ramp will accomplish. But I think I'd rather have something heavier duty than a $20 piece of plastic.
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Do you (or anyone else who mentioned a jacking "ramp") happen to have a photo of what you built? I think I'd like to make & carry one of these along. I assume it's the lumber equivalent of what a Trailer Aid tire changing ramp will accomplish. But I think I'd rather have something heavier duty than a $20 piece of plastic.
Get yourself a piece of 8x8 lumber 16" long. Measure 2" in from one end and flip it measuring 2" in from the opposite end on the other side. Cut diagonally from those two marks. Home made tandem trailer tire changing ramps. I use these on my 24' utility trailer.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #50

I have the Trailer Aid ramp and it isn't cheap junk. Make sure you get the Trailer Aid Plus as it lifts about an inch higher. So much easier and safer than using a jack IMO. I've used it several times to rotate tires and fix flats.
I believe you will find it weighs about 1/3 what the lumber version weighs. I went the lumber route before buying the Trailer Aid Plus.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #51

^^ Good to know... Trailer Aid Plus costs $55 which is quite a jump from the $20 original product. I'm thinking the lumber may be a little heavier but should only cost about $5 in materials and a few minutes to cut to shape/size.
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires