Old 11-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
You might ask at a tire shop or dealership. Specs may be dry for tork. I have always used on studs at our dealership and most other guys do too, prevents the threads frim gauling and the next time I work on that vehicle I wont have to worry about twisting studs off.

All of my big rigs, vehicles, trailers, farm equipment and the hundreds I
of customer vehicles i work on every year get anti-sieze (on the studs) with no comebacks, and no plan to stop using it.
If the wheel nuts are put on properly, there should be no damage to the threads, so no lubricant is necessary.
I would never use anti-seize, as there is always the chance of getting it on the mating surface of the wheel nut, which would make the torque reading inaccurate.
I have mounted and changed hundreds of my own wheels over the years, and they are always dry, and I have never damaged a stud. Nor have I ever had wheel nuts come loose, even on aluminum rims.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #12

When I put new tires on my motor home, the tire dealer said to retorque after the first couple of hundred miles.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Dallas Texas

Like Pop said get a cheap torque wrench and keep it in the basement. I got one for over half off at Harbor Freight. No need for a high dollar wrench.

Every couple trips or so I check them. Just be sure to store your torque wrench at 0. Helps maintain its accuracy.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
Graduate Member

Great tips! Thanks everyone
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
Another rat in the race

Since were talking about torque wrenches.

Remember the longer your horizontal extension on a torque wrench the different the torque setting.

Torque Wrench Extension Calculator

Vertical extension, like to reach into the offset of a wheel does not change the measurement.

And cheater bars on the back end are okay but not really recommended.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #16

One should not ever need an extention on a torque wrench. The wrench is designed to use the handle length it has and if you need an extention, then you may have the wrong size (in torque rating) for the job at hand. All other aspects are correct, vertical extention is no proplem. Cheater bars on the end of the torque wrench will change the available "grunt" you use and will result in over torque very quickly if you are not EXTREMELY careful.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
Another rat in the race

I beg to differ I have had many cases where the space from bolt head to an object above said bolt head would not facilitate a torque wrench and socket, even a cut down one, thus requiring a box end or open end wrench extension on my torque wrench.

I can remember one case on a van head where I had to use an open to box wrench with an allen socket hooked to the torque wrench just to get past the space restriction.

Edit: but everything should be straight in line with that setup.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #18

I will concede space restrictions MAY require an alterntive method but one should not routinely use an extention on the handle (making the available torque to the head of the wrench MORE than if it were used with the standard handle length.) Torqure wrenches are designed to use the length handle with which they are manufactured and will result in erroneous reading if a longer handle is used. The handle on many wrenches will determine how the correct, calibrated torque is applied to the fastener. Park is one that comes to mind, the handle must be in the "neutral" position; e.g. plastic handle not touching either side (handle pivots slighly) of the steel portion of the torque wrench. I hope we are trying to say the same thing, if not then the fault is mine for not "seeing" what you are trying say. I am sure many instances will result in a "it won't work in the standard fashion" so one may have to attempt a "round the bend" manner of getting the job done.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Another rat in the race

I fully agree with your statement and do not want to step on toes either, but if someone who was ignorant of torque wrench use might not realize that there are exceptions to that rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
One should not ever need an extention on a torque wrench.
That's all. I'll take my soap box and go home.

And always remember

Tags
lugnuts, torque